The Student Room Group

GCSE's decent for medicine?

(edited 8 years ago)
Sounds fine to me.

Obviously A Level and other test results count too but as far as looking at GCSEs go it looks fine. You could easily be chosen or declined if one person has a few better gcse than the other but it should be fine if im honest
Original post by Nyashy_
So at GCSE I got 7A's (inc. Maths, Biology & Chemistry) and 3B's (personal circumstances).
are these grades decent for medicine? I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths, R.S & History atm and have been predicted AAAAA so far , but I do understand that a course like medicine has extreme demands for GCSE as well as UKCAT/BMAT/A-Levels.
Also, I have had a look at the 'apply to your strengths page' but that's a lil bit outdated, so what Universities are not so "GCSE Heavy" ?

Thanks in advance (BTW anyone who holds a 2015 medical interview offer/is studying medicine with similar GCSE's please please please contact me :smile: )

I think your GCSEs are good enough but you may be compiting against people with better grades than you. Anyway as long as you get good A levels (AAAA min) then you should be fine.
Reply 3
Cheers so far, also anyone know which med schools to avoid in terms of GCSE, and which are not so GCSE reliant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Some of the newer ones like Exeter and Plymouth don't look at GCSEs so highly - so long as you meet their minimum requirements they use your UKCAT score and A2 predictions to select for interview :smile:
Liverpool operate with a point system (A/A* = 2 points and B= 1 point) so you'd be alright applying there. Avoid Nottingham and Birmingham since they look for quite a few A*s.

This thread should help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
Reply 6
Original post by mollyxrose
Liverpool operate with a point system (A/A* = 2 points and B= 1 point) so you'd be alright applying there. Avoid Nottingham and Birmingham since they look for quite a few A*s.

This thread should help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Liverpool seems decent & by looking at Notts/Birmingham I don't think I'm suitable for them :') thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nyashy_
Liverpool seems decent & by looking at Notts/Birmingham I don't think I'm suitable for them :') thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. I'm in Year 12 and got 11 A's and 1 C and want to to medicine so we're in a similar position. People will tell you that your GCSE's are good enough, and others will tell you they're not. If you keep an eye out on what people are saying about what universities are accepting and play to your strengths you should be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by cwi111
Some of the newer ones like Exeter and Plymouth don't look at GCSEs so highly - so long as you meet their minimum requirements they use your UKCAT score and A2 predictions to select for interview :smile:

Ah thanks, may look into Exeter then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by mollyxrose
No problem. I'm in Year 12 and got 11 A's and 1 C and want to to medicine so we're in a similar position. People will tell you that your GCSE's are good enough, and others will tell you they're not. If you keep an eye out on what people are saying about what universities are accepting and play to your strengths you should be fine.

I would like to think that stuff like my EC's and predicted grades are ok, like would looking at the at the UKCAT/BMAT (for BSMS/LEEDS NOT OXBRIDGE OR LONDON UNIS LMAO) be good to Start looking at now or maybe in a few months...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending