Does the somatic nervous system have further subdivions? Watch

lorobolorolo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know that the autonomic nervous system is subdivided into the sympathetic and parasympathetic. Does the somatic nervous system also have symp ans parasymp divisons or any other divisions?
Thank you
xylas
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes motor, sensory and interneurone
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lorobolorolo)
I know that the autonomic nervous system is subdivided into the sympathetic and parasympathetic. Does the somatic nervous system also have symp ans parasymp divisons or any other divisions?
Thank you
Yes, generally speaking we can class things under sensory and motor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lorobolorolo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asklepios)
Yes, generally speaking we can class things under sensory and motor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks but the autonomic also has sensory and motor right? Are there any subdivisions that are unique to the somatic nervous system only?
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lorobolorolo)
Thanks but the autonomic also has sensory and motor right? Are there any subdivisions that are unique to the somatic nervous system only?
Actually the autonomic nervous system is solely efferent.

When we're talking about types of innervation, I guess you can use this classification:

- General Somatic Afferent (GSA) - general sensation from the body
- General Visceral Afferent (GVA) - kind of like the 'sensory component of the ANS' I guess, but it's not classed as such. But this carries sensation from things like chemoreceptors.

- General Somatic Efferent (GSE) - motor innervation to skeletal muscle
- General Visceral Efferent (GVE) - to glands and smooth muscle I.e. Autonomic nervous system

In the head and neck, you also get:
- Special Somatic Afferent (SSA): sensory information from inner ear and eyes (hearing, balance, vision)
- Special Visceral Afferent (SVA): olfaction (smell) and taste
- Special Visceral Efferent (SVE): muscles derived from the branchial arches e.g. Those involved Facial expression, mastication, swallowing

So roughly the peripheral nervous system is divided into Afferent (sensory) and efferent (motor) arms. Each then has a visceral and somatic subdivision. The visceral subdivision of the efferent division is the autonomic nervous system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lorobolorolo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asklepios)
Actually the autonomic nervous system is solely efferent.

When we're talking about types of innervation, I guess you can use this classification:

- General Somatic Afferent (GSA) - general sensation from the body
- General Visceral Afferent (GVA) - kind of like the 'sensory component of the ANS' I guess, but it's not classed as such. But this carries sensation from things like chemoreceptors.

- General Somatic Efferent (GSE) - motor innervation to skeletal muscle
- General Visceral Efferent (GVE) - to glands and smooth muscle I.e. Autonomic nervous system

In the head and neck, you also get:
- Special Somatic Afferent (SSA): sensory information from inner ear and eyes (hearing, balance, vision)
- Special Visceral Afferent (SVA): olfaction (smell) and taste
- Special Visceral Efferent (SVE): muscles derived from the branchial arches e.g. Those involved Facial expression, mastication, swallowing

So roughly the peripheral nervous system is divided into Afferent (sensory) and efferent (motor) arms. Each then has a visceral and somatic subdivision. The visceral subdivision of the efferent division is the autonomic nervous system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much. You have cleared this up for me a bit. But still finding the nervous system such a complicated topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (134)
18.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
9.93%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (127)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (72)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (224)
30.48%

Watched Threads