The Student Room Group

How do I stop being so sensitive all the time?

Anytime someone says anything mean to me or starts shouting at me I get really affected by it. I'm not really comfortable with expressing my emotions in front of other people so when things like this happen I just leave the room and go lock myself in the bathroom/lie on my bed and cry (although I do it silently or into my pillow so nobody can hear). But this always happens, I always feel the need to cry anytime someone hurts my feelings even if in the moment I tell myself I don't care what anyone thinks or I try to be confident it doesn't work and I still get deeply affected despite being 18 I mean I'm not a kid so why do i always have this reaction? How can I stop being so sensitive all the time?
I hear you and have been there before - it sucks always being the one who seems to feel things much more intensely than others. It really comes down to cultivating a sense of self-esteem and worth; a process that takes longer for some. Once you learn to show up for yourself in a way that serves you, you'll suddenly find that the opinions and actions of others don't weigh as much.
Original post by Anonymous
Anytime someone says anything mean to me or starts shouting at me I get really affected by it. I'm not really comfortable with expressing my emotions in front of other people so when things like this happen I just leave the room and go lock myself in the bathroom/lie on my bed and cry (although I do it silently or into my pillow so nobody can hear). But this always happens, I always feel the need to cry anytime someone hurts my feelings even if in the moment I tell myself I don't care what anyone thinks or I try to be confident it doesn't work and I still get deeply affected despite being 18 I mean I'm not a kid so why do i always have this reaction? How can I stop being so sensitive all the time?

Hey!
I completely understand, I too am very sensitive. This has impacted many areas negatively, but also impacted many areas positively, such as offering a unique friendship to someone from the empathy developed in being sensitive :smile:.

Being sensitive isn’t a weakness at all, it offers many unique experiences. This is all learnt through experience, however.

Currently, it sounds like you have a lot of feelings built up.Try to get all the emotions out healthily. Listening to sad music, texting SHOUT service, or more.

In long-term, i personally would say that the best way to work on sensitivity, is through therapy; CBT especially. Learning how to manoeuvre through the patterns which affect you socially. Anti-depressants for general anxiety to stop physical effects. Both can be discussed further through your GPs.

The best way ultimately is to learn, accommodate when you can what makes you sensitive. For instance, adapting your speech. Talking to those closest to you about how you would like to be spoken to, what language they may inadvertently use that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I’m still learning myself, though I’ve seen this as a more positive trait I hold that not all others may have. And that helps me the most :smile:
Reply 3

Hello mate? I was also with similar characteristics but I learnt to control them. Accept yourself and learn to remain silent.
Reply 4
Remain silent?

I’m literally the same, I will take everything so sensitive especially with my family. The only person who understands me is my mum
Please look up chronic shame nervous system if you are sensitive all the time it could mean that you have so much chronic shame in your nervous system and that could cause you to be very sensitive. chronic shame leads people to be sensitive

I was kinda like this, I don’t like expressing my emotions because people wouldn’t understand and I try to be confident and understand that their words don’t affect me but they clearly do and I cried instantly.

So after some digging, I sorta found that this is because of my childhood. Growing up I never really had a voice for myself and I didn’t get that comfort from my parents and it just wasn’t safe so I’ve always been sensitive to words and never voiced my emotions. So knowing this I have sorta found comfort within myself and my own space and have place less weight on other people.

The way you should tackle this is to understand why you are so sensitive and work your way around that. So for example, mine was childhood trauma so I read some books on mental health and how to build my confidence up. I suggest you also take a deep look into Gabor Maté’s work cause he’ll tell you how you can heal from these types of things.

All in all, I still sometimes break down and cry when I feel overwhelmed by the smallest inconvenience. These things never really “go away” but with time it starts to lessen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending