The Student Room Group
Reply 1
am I stupid or do I need to know if it is thrown vertically upwards or downwards? anyway, you'll have to think about g when solving the problem.
Reply 2
oh yh vertically upwards sorry
Reply 3
For question 1

s=ut + (at^2)/2

(I think that formula will do...but there are other ones as well)

For question 2

V=u+at

v=velocity
u=initial velocity
a=acceleration
t=time
Take up as positive. The initial speed is 16m/s (u = 16), time is 4 seconds (t = 4), and the acceleration is 9.8m/s^2 down (a = -9.8). h is a distance. Do you know the formula connecting u, a, t, and distance (normally x or s)? For the second part - do you know a formula connecting u, a, t and the final speed (v), or can you read the above post and copy the formula? :p:
Reply 5
hmm still nt sure
EconomyMan
hmm still nt sure

Oh, I see. You want me to do your work for you.

Not happening.
Reply 7
generalebriety
Oh, I see. You want me to do your work for you.

Not happening.

its not homework...im just doing it for revision...if i get a modell answer...i know what im working towards.
EconomyMan
its not homework...im just doing it for revision...if i get a modell answer...i know what im working towards.

You try it. I will guide you along the way if that's what you want. And when you've done that, I will provide you with a model answer and more examples if you're still not understanding. But I'd like you to try this, since it is revision and not learning.
Reply 9
I am not fond of solving whole problems either...

but I'll give you number 2...
(In White text)
v=u+at

a=-10m/s^2
t=4s
u=16m/s

hence v=-24m/s and as the question asks for speed and not velocity the answer is 24m/s
nota bene
I am not fond of solving whole problems either...

but I'll give you number 2...
(In White text)
v=u+at

a=-10m/s^2
t=4s
u=16m/s

hence v=-24m/s and as the question asks for speed and not velocity the answer is 24m/s

Why must people do this? I really don't understand it. Posting entire solutions helps no one. It's a waste of everyone's time.
I don't like doing it as the OP will not learn anything, but I just did this one as I didn't have time to take another example... and still don't have... but I'll give one anyway and might help the OP then...

A ball is thrown vertically upwards with a speed of 24.0m/s
(a) when is the velocity of the ball 12m/s? and what is the displacement?
(b) when is the velocity of the ball -12m/s? and what is the displacement?
(c) what is the velocity of the ball 1.50 s after launch?
(d) what is the maximum height reached by the ball?

Latest