The Student Room Group

AQA or Edexcel ?

Which is better for further maths? AQA or Edexcel?
how many exams do I have to sit for Mathematics and Further Mathematics?

Thanks!! :smile: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by horia_brenciu
Which is better for further maths? AQA or Edexcel?
how many exams do I have to sit for Mathematics and Further Mathematics?

Thanks!! :smile: :biggrin: :biggrin:

3 exams per half A-level, so 12 total for both full A-levels
Are you entering privately or early?

Not sure on which one is "better" though
I am entering as a private candidate.
Wow.. 12 exams? that's a lot!!
I guess for Further Maths (AS+A2) are 4... and for Mathematics 8 (AS+A2) ?
I am entering as a private candidate.
Wow.. 12 exams? that's a lot!!
I guess for Further Maths (AS+A2) are 4... and for Mathematics 8 (AS+A2) ?

12 exams isn't really a lot, I'm taking more maths exams.
No it's 6 for Further maths, 6 for maths
Ok thanks!... so I saw past papers from OCR and AQA and I would say that AQA is harder... :-?
And for AS at Further Mathematics are 3 exams?
I would also like to ask also, the number of exams is the same at every type of exam, AQA, Edexcel or OCR?
Ok thanks!... so I saw past papers from OCR and AQA and I would say that AQA is harder... :-?
And for AS at Further Mathematics are 3 exams?
I would also like to ask also, the number of exams is the same at every type of exam, AQA, Edexcel or OCR?

Not sure, only do AQA. Yes for each half A-level there are three exams. The number of modules to choose from for each of the boards are much the same, but a few are slightly different(for example with AQA you can do FP4). I think that is what you asked?
Yes, so the number of exams are mostly the same, no matter what you take AQA, Edexcel, OCR. Now that I read more carefully the subjects, I would say taht OCR is harder.

It is pretty annoying that is very hard to find the subjects and past papers for Further Maths.
Yes, so the number of exams are mostly the same, no matter what you take AQA, Edexcel, OCR. Now that I read more carefully the subjects, I would say taht OCR is harder.

It is pretty annoying that is very hard to find the subjects and past papers for Further Maths.

On some exam boards, you can do coursework in addition to exams.

OCR MEI has the biggest variety of modules if that's something you're looking for.

It seems that the majority of students sit Edexcel, and I think Edexcel is probably the exam board with the most resources. That said, a lot of the modules are very similar across all exam boards.

Not very hard, takes about 20 seconds per exam board.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-mathematics-3890-3892-7890-7892/
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2F9371
I want to take the A level outside the UK, and I cannot find a center... uh... so irritating
The only subjects that I can take at Maths and Further Maths are Core, Further, Mechanics, Probability and statistics, Decision Mathematics ?
The only subjects that I can take at Maths and Further Maths are Core, Further, Mechanics, Probability and statistics, Decision Mathematics ?

Yes, other than financial mathematics, I think you've covered every field in mathematics(in a very broad way)
I want to take the A level outside the UK, and I cannot find a center... uh... so irritating

*centre
Original post by morgan8002
Yes, other than financial mathematics, I think you've covered every field in mathematics(in a very broad way)

And I have to take only 4 of them? and yes.. centre... my bad :biggrin:
I just started to make the research about A level... and I don't understand.. there are 5 subjects.. but I have to take 12? pfff. When I said that is very hard to find past papers I meant that I don't know if pure core is part of further mathematics or is only the further pure etc. I don't know which is part of further mathematics.
I just started to make the research about A level... and I don't understand.. there are 5 subjects.. but I have to take 12? pfff. When I said that is very hard to find past papers I meant that I don't know if pure core is part of further mathematics or is only the further pure etc. I don't know which is part of further mathematics.

If you are trying to take exams abroad then choose Edexcel. The place to contact is normally the British Council.

For Maths you have to take:
Core maths 1-4 (that's normally 4 units, but I think for inetrnational stduents it is just 2: C12 and C34) (Core Maths is Pure Maths)

2 applied units (from Mechanics, Statsics and Decision maths, they either both have to be a Unit 1 - e.g. M1 & S1, or both match in letter, e.g. M1 & M2.)

For Further maths you have to take:
FP1
At least 1 from FP2 and FP3 (FP stands for Furtehr Pure maths)
any other 3-4 units to make 6 in total.

If you take Maths and FM then the exam board automatically decides which applied units go in which A level so you don't have to worry about it. C1-4, FP1-3, S1, S2, M1, M2 & M3 would be a fairly standard combinatiion to take.
Original post by Compost
If you are trying to take exams abroad then choose Edexcel. The place to contact is normally the British Council.

For Maths you have to take:
Core maths 1-4 (that's normally 4 units, but I think for inetrnational stduents it is just 2: C12 and C34) (Core Maths is Pure Maths)

2 applied units (from Mechanics, Statsics and Decision maths, they either both have to be a Unit 1 - e.g. M1 & S1, or both match in letter, e.g. M1 & M2.)

For Further maths you have to take:
FP1
At least 1 from FP2 and FP3 (FP stands for Furtehr Pure maths)
any other 3-4 units to make 6 in total.

If you take Maths and FM then the exam board automatically decides which applied units go in which A level so you don't have to worry about it. C1-4, FP1-3, S1, S2, M1, M2 & M3 would be a fairly standard combinatiion to take.

Aha.. yeah thank you, I am from Romania and I searched on British Council website and there was NO information about A level Exams

I understood that OCR is better viewed at Cambridge, I intend to apply there!
Aha.. yeah thank you, I am from Romania and I searched on British Council website and there was NO information about A level Exams

I understood that OCR is better viewed at Cambridge, I intend to apply there!

Edexcel really is fine for Cambridge but the alternative for international students is CIE, which is the international arm of OCR. I'd find somewhere where you can do the exams and thn use the board they want you to. YOu don't necessarily need A levels if you have an equivalent Romanian qualification, you may just need to take STEP exams if you want to read a maths related subject - why don't you try asking Cambridge?
Original post by Compost
Edexcel really is fine for Cambridge but the alternative for international students is CIE, which is the international arm of OCR. I'd find somewhere where you can do the exams and thn use the board they want you to. YOu don't necessarily need A levels if you have an equivalent Romanian qualification, you may just need to take STEP exams if you want to read a maths related subject - why don't you try asking Cambridge?

The problem is that I took at the Romanian Bac. with 0.1 less than I should. So my application had been unsuccessful. I want to reapply next year and take the A level
The problem is that I took at the Romanian Bac. with 0.1 less than I should. So my application had been unsuccessful. I want to reapply next year and take the A level

I will try to keep in touch with you, and I will ask you more :smile:

Quick Reply