The Student Room Group

OCR PHYSICS B G494~ 11th June 2015 AM ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mars256
I said that another cable could be attached at the bottom to it swinging. What did everyone put for it being unpractical to damp the lift?

I said that the lift needs to be able to 'oscillate' as that's it's function - to move up and down. Damping it would make energy transfers really inefficient so a lot of energy would be required to move it up and down.

Could be utterly wrong though.
Original post by james-aitken
For the number of collisions per second question, did you have to estimate a value for the collision time to work out the force per particle?

Pressure is Force/area so Force = pressure x are. Force is rate of change of momentum (mv/t). Rearrange to work out delta T is you know mass and velocity.

Then frequency is 1/T
I wrote adding a damper would require a huge mass that would make the building too top-heavy.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Can anyone remember the value they got for epsilon and the two capcitance questions? Epsilon was a tiny number, 10^-20 I think, while the first capacitance value was something like 10-2 Farads and the second was like 20 to 40 microfarads?

Got like 3.96x10^-20 for epsilon. Anyone else get 0.94uA for current leakage?
For the rate of collision one, I rearranged to find F, then found F exerted per particle by using change in momentum over time equals force, assuming that t=1 second. Then divided F by F exerted per particle. Bit of a messy method I know.
Original post by Minecraft27
I wrote adding a damper would require a huge mass that would make the building too top-heavy.

I put that it would require the cable to be buffered or something along those lines and then I couldn't coil around motor?
Anyone doing an unofficial markscheme?
Original post by Lewis7253

How did you work out current leakage? I rearranged C=Q/V to get inital current and final current, then divide change in current over time (60 seconds). I think it came out in the order of 10^-5 Farads and thus 10^1 microfarads.
Why couldn't we have attached the lift to something at the bottom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
Did anyone else do the actuvation energy one. Was tricky. Required natural logs and complex rearring. Think i got something like 3.96x10^-20J

I got that! Joke that it was a 2 marker - I saw an almost identical question in a past paper that was a 4 marker!
How did you work out current leakage? I rearranged C=Q/V to get inital current and final current, then divide change in current over time (60 seconds). I think it came out in the order of 10^-5 Farads and thus 10^1 microfarads.

Badsically the same way. Did V/t to get volts per second then used Q=CV to get charge per second which is current was like 9.4x10^-7A of 0.94uA

I got 0.94

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112

I got both of those!

Dropped 4 or 5 marks by running out of time :frown: expecting 41-43 to be an A
Original post by urz13
I got that! Joke that it was a 2 marker - I saw an almost identical question in a past paper that was a 4 marker!

Yeah I was worried I was on the wrong track when I notice it was only 2 marks for all that work!
Reply 114

It was using dQ/dt. Find Q when V=0.12 and then dt=60s giving an answer of 0.94uA, I believe
Badsically the same way. Did V/t to get volts per second then used Q=CV to get charge per second which is current was like 9.4x10^-7A of 0.94uA

Darn I must've got that one wrong then :frown:
what the actual **** was that section B, I got all the higher mark questions fine, but ironically left like four 2 markers.

What was that work out the mass of the Earth from R and density question all about?
Reply 117
Thoughts on A* boundary? I'd estimate about 47-49. Depends how many finished the paper as I found it very time consuming, many people in my school missed the entire last question due to running out of time.
Original post by ZestyX0r
what the actual **** was that section B, I got all the higher mark questions fine, but ironically left like four 2 markers.

What was that work out the mass of the Earth from R and density question all about?

Density=Mass/Volume therefore Mass=Density x Volume, you were given a rough estimate of density and volume=4/3 x pi x radius cubed

EDIT on the topic of that question, what reason did you guys give for G being to large?
Original post by urz13
Thoughts on A* boundary? I'd estimate about 47-49. Depends how many finished the paper as I found it very time consuming, many people in my school missed the entire last question due to running out of time.

Really?
I didn't find that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending