The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Lau14
It's got a decent amount of content, that's probably plenty of time though I'd think. We're probably having a similar length of time, but we haven't been told when we're due to finish

Ah right! Wasn't sure if my college were being over/under ambitious 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Original post by CD223
Ah right! Wasn't sure if my college were being over/under ambitious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't really worry about it at this stage, with only astro left to finish we aren't really in danger of running out of time! Hopefully we actually get a mock EMPA and stuff this year though :/
Reply 182
Original post by Lau14
Wouldn't really worry about it at this stage, with only astro left to finish we aren't really in danger of running out of time! Hopefully we actually get a mock EMPA and stuff this year though :/

My mock EMPA went better than last year's did where I got a C lol. Sod's law says I get a C again in A2 having got an A in my mock...

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's EMPA?
Has everyone already started their Optional topic for Unit 5?

I am going to start Turning Points after half term.

Anyone else doing Turning Points?
Reply 185
Original post by Disney0702
What's EMPA?

EMPA is the externally marked practical exam (at least, I think it stands for something like that?). You might be doing the ISA instead, but the EMPA consists of two practicals and a short written paper and it's fairly horrible because our college gave us virtually no preparation for it :/

We've started astrophysics two weeks ago :smile:
Reply 186

Wanted to do it but I had to choose between astro and applied! Starting after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1424086516.163866.jpg

Part C anyone? I got the 9 ohm resistor power correct, but not the other two?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Wanted to do it but I had to choose between astro and applied! Starting after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I would much rather do Astrophysics, looks more interesting.

I don't really like the look of Turning Points.

Have you already started your ISA?
Reply 189
Ah I would much rather do Astrophysics, looks more interesting.

I don't really like the look of Turning Points.

Have you already started your ISA?

Ah I hope astrophysics is interesting...it sounds complex but I guess it can't be that much more convoluted than PHYA4 or PHYA5.
How come?
And I'm doing the EMPA. We do our experiment in March and then the written exam in May. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah I hope astrophysics is interesting...it sounds complex but I guess it can't be that much more convoluted than PHYA4 or PHYA5.
How come?
And I'm doing the EMPA. We do our experiment in March and then the written exam in May. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do not like it because it involves Young's double-slit experiment and wave-particle duality which were topics I hated learning last year in AS.

I am doing the ISA, I'll be doing my practical after the half term and I believe we are going to do the written test straight after the practical, but I'm not too sure to be honest.
Reply 191
I do not like it because it involves Young's double-slit experiment and wave-particle duality which were topics I hated learning last year in AS.

I am doing the ISA, I'll be doing my practical after the half term and I believe we are going to do the written test straight after the practical, but I'm not too sure to be honest.

Oh right! Doesn't that just help with revision??
Oh nice! Well good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Just throwing this out there because me and a friend were discussing our revision and it might help some people - to see how PHYA4 is actually going as opposed to how much timing is affecting us, we're going to do past papers under timed conditions, but when the time runs out instead of stopping pick up a different coloured pen and go back through to answer anything you could have done with more time. This way we can identify what's a problem topic and what just needed more timing, and as there's only 8 papers on the AQA website we get to do them all timed to improve the timing without missing out on actually getting to do all the questions properly :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by Lau14
Just throwing this out there because me and a friend were discussing our revision and it might help some people - to see how PHYA4 is actually going as opposed to how much timing is affecting us, we're going to do past papers under timed conditions, but when the time runs out instead of stopping pick up a different coloured pen and go back through to answer anything you could have done with more time. This way we can identify what's a problem topic and what just needed more timing, and as there's only 8 papers on the AQA website we get to do them all timed to improve the timing without missing out on actually getting to do all the questions properly :smile:

Oh that's a good idea! I tend to require like 20 mins extra to fully do a paper at the moment. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh right! Doesn't that just help with revision??
Oh nice! Well good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm going to resit the Unit 1 exam and there's photoelectric effect in Turning Points so yh I guess it will help with revision.

Thanks mate :smile:
Reply 195
Well I'm going to resit the Unit 1 exam and there's photoelectric effect in Turning Points so yh I guess it will help with revision.

Thanks mate :smile:

That sounds cool - I liked the photoelectric effect! No worries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Original post by CD223
Oh that's a good idea! I tend to require like 20 mins extra to fully do a paper at the moment. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm probably somewhere around the same :/ hopefully practice speeds it up!
Reply 197
Original post by KeithHayward
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1424086516.163866.jpg

Part C anyone? I got the 9 ohm resistor power correct, but not the other two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've tried to make this as clear as possible; I remember having trouble with this last year. How I hated electricity...:frown:
5.2Q 001.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Lau14
Yeah I'm probably somewhere around the same :/ hopefully practice speeds it up!

I'm hoping so! Need to get an A :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
Original post by CD223
I'm hoping so! Need to get an A :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need an A, ideally I'd like to get an A* though :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending