The Student Room Group

Help double bond stronger and more reactive

--
(edited 7 years ago)
--
(edited 7 years ago)
Sigma bond : Head on overlapping of the p-orbitals. Electrons are closer to the nucleus.
Pi bond: Side ways overlap. Electrons are further away from the nucleus so attraction between the electron and nucleus is weak hence it's more reactive.
Original post by iamspiderman
I'm revising and I know that double bonds are stronger than single bonds and they're more reactive but I don't know why.

i know for eg that c=c bond has a higher bond energy than c-c which means it takes more energy to break the bond but how is it more reactive ??? And what how does pi and sigma effect the strength and reactivity?

A double bond is a sigma bond AND a pi bond - the pi bond is weaker than the sigma bond, which means it's more easily broken and more reactive. This means that a reaction that produces two sigma bonds (i.e. two single bonds) from a sigma bond and a pi bond (i.e. a double bond) is favourable because the bonds formed are stronger than the bonds broken.
Original post by iamspiderman
I'm revising and I know that double bonds are stronger than single bonds and they're more reactive but I don't know why.

i know for eg that c=c bond has a higher bond energy than c-c which means it takes more energy to break the bond but how is it more reactive ??? Wouldn't it be less reactive as it's stronger ?And what how does pi and sigma effect the strength and reactivity?

You rarely break the whole bond ----- just the double bit.

So its double bond ---> single bond

no double bond ----> no bond

As the double bond is not as strong as two single bonds there is a net release of energy.

Quick Reply

Latest