The Student Room Group

Chemistry question of n2o5

Please could I have help on how you draw the molecule n2o5? I have attached what the markscheme says but I don’t really understand why there are arrows towards the oxygen and the positive and negative signs? Why can’t there just be a single bond between the nitrogen and oxygen because nitrogen has 5 valence electrons? Thanks!!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Ashirs
Please could I have help on how you draw the molecule n2o5? I have attached what the markscheme says but I don’t really understand why there are arrows towards the oxygen and the positive and negative signs? Why can’t there just be a single bond between the nitrogen and oxygen because nitrogen has 5 valence electrons? Thanks!!

I dont know about the top diagram but in the second one the arrows are for dative covalent bonds (or coordinate bonds, same thing) as the nitrogen supplies both of the electrons in the covalent bond
Reply 2
Original post by Teribblestudent
I dont know about the top diagram but in the second one the arrows are for dative covalent bonds (or coordinate bonds, same thing) as the nitrogen supplies both of the electrons in the covalent bond

But why can’t oxygen supply any electrons?
Original post by Ashirs
But why can’t oxygen supply any electrons?

It needs 2 electrons to have a full outer shell so it would form a double bond with N, but then N would have more than 8 outer electrons

Quick Reply

Latest