The Student Room Group

What subjects should I take?

I'm a current A2-level Sixth Form student, and I made the dumb mistake last year to not revise for my AS exams.
The results were expected in this scenario: I failed AS Business Studies & Economics, but passed Geography (failed Unit 1, B in Unit 2) and ICT (again, failed Unit 1 but C in Unit 2).

This year I'm completing my Geography and ICT to A2 but retaking Unit 1 of both subjects so I should be able to increase my grades (got a D overall in both), but however am taking Computing AS at another sixth form college which I am going as an external student so am paying fees.

I am doing well there; target grade is A and am currently working at a high B, as well as this the teachers are much better than at my main sixth form at teaching. This is probably because the sixth form where I am taking AS Computing is a private college and so they're selective about who they employ.

I am applying for uni this year, and so far have got two offers, one interview request, and one rejection (I haven't heard from the other university yet), but however it's extremely likely I won't get the grades required as I am applying for Geography and the unis expect a high amount of UCAS points.

My parents say they're willing for me to attend the better sixth form next year in order to complete my Computing AS to a full A level, and I'm confident I'll get the grades this time.
However they also say that I'll need to pick two new AS levels in order to justify the fees; as this is a chance to 'fix what I broke' I think I'm going to take it.

Thing is, what courses do I take?

I was going to apply for a Physics AS when I started sixth form, but however I expected to not get the GCSE Maths grade required but instead ironically I didn't get the required grade in GCSE Core & Additional Science by one mark!

I love science, especially physics so it should be a good subject to choose, but how's the maths in it when compared to AS Computing?

But what about the other subject?

I was thinking about Chemistry except that it apparently is more maths-intensive than Physics, so that puts me off a bit.
Could do English Literature (I got a C in the subject at GCSE although I never really revised for it, so could've probably gotten an A in it if I'd actually tried [again, kept getting high marks on my work]), but I don't know anyone doing it so can't really ask about the course content.

Yes, I do read a lot of books. Yes, I do spend a lot of time on the computer, mainly programming).

Although everyone says I should do Computer Science at uni instead of Geography I don't want to. Computing (Computer Science) is fascinating but it's more of a hobby than something I want to end-up doing as a profession.
Reply 1
Are you going to university or another sixth form in September 2015?

I would try and get maths and physics AS, tell them you're confident you can do well in them. Also, I don't know why you think geography is better than comp sci. Comp sci is far more suited to you and more employable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
Are you going to university or another sixth form in September 2015?

I would try and get maths and physics AS, tell them you're confident you can do well in them. Also, I don't know why you think geography is better than comp sci. Comp sci is far more suited to you and more employable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said geography is better.

The key factor here is that I mainly like physical geography; aka how the world works, I hate the human geography aspect.

Is maths really recommended for AS Physics? The sixth form where I'm studying computing said (before I started) that they recommend also taking maths as the subject is maths-intensive, but I've been completely fine with it.

My main sixth-form (where I'm currently studying geography and ICT A2) is good, but not as good as the one where I'm studying computing. It could be a variety of factors such as the smaller class sizes, better teaching, etc at my newer sixth-form or maybe something else.
Personally I'd like to say 'goodbye' to my main sixth-form and move to the better one.

I was aiming for a university entry in September 2015, but I've already decided that even if I do get the required UCAS points I'll defer entry 'til September 2016. Even then I might end up cancelling the whole thing and redoing the UCAS application process.
Original post by aconline

I was going to apply for a Physics AS when I started sixth form, but however I expected to not get the GCSE Maths grade required but instead ironically I didn't get the required grade in GCSE Core & Additional Science by one mark!

I love science, especially physics so it should be a good subject to choose, but how's the maths in it when compared to AS Computing?

I was thinking about Chemistry except that it apparently is more maths-intensive than Physics, so that puts me off a bit.
Could do English Literature (I got a C in the subject at GCSE although I never really revised for it, so could've probably gotten an A in it if I'd actually tried [again, kept getting high marks on my work]), but I don't know anyone doing it so can't really ask about the course content.

Yes, I do read a lot of books. Yes, I do spend a lot of time on the computer, mainly programming).

Although everyone says I should do Computer Science at uni instead of Geography I don't want to. Computing (Computer Science) is fascinating but it's more of a hobby than something I want to end-up doing as a profession.

I do A-level maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics.
I do computing as a hobby, same as you, but I don't take qualifications in it.

As I said, I don't do A-level computing, but based on what I know the maths is harder in physics than computing.

At AS, the maths in chemistry is easy, much easier than the maths in physics. At A2, there is much harder maths in chemistry. I think it's still easier than physics maths though.

Same attitude as I have. I want to do maths/theoretical physics, but want to continue computing/programming as a hobby.
Original post by aconline

Is maths really recommended for AS Physics? The sixth form where I'm studying computing said (before I started) that they recommend also taking maths as the subject is maths-intensive, but I've been completely fine with it.

Maths is recommended to take alongside physics. Maybe 40% of people don't and the majority of these drop it because they get bad grades and also lose interest in the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest