The Student Room Group

i need help choosing my alevel options

i have always had a hard time deciding what to do after my gcses and choices for what i want to do in 6 form are coming up. i always liked business studies however i want to do economics alevel instead but i dont want to do maths alevel is that a wise choice? i am not going to do an economics degree in uni. i want to do english literature as its my passion but i dont know if it goes well with econ and lastly media studies sound fun so i wanted to do that aswell. should i do these or choose something else? will i regret it? what combinations should i do instead?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Valeria_22
i have always had a hard time deciding what to do after my gcses and choices for what i want to do in 6 form are coming up. i always liked business studies however i want to do economics alevel instead but i dont want to do maths alevel is that a wise choice? i am not going to do an economics degree in uni. i want to do english literature as its my passion but i dont know if it goes well with econ and lastly media studies sound fun so i wanted to do that aswell. should i do these or choose something else? will i regret it? what combinations should i do instead?

Personally i took maths physics and economics. Maths and economics for what some people think you need to do both the maths doesnt go further then gcse. If you wnat to do economics at university then take maths. I think economics is quite interesting and the essays arent too bad to write once you know how to but shouldnt be a problem with the fact you do eng lit. Again dont not pick subjects because they dont link i know poeple doing eng lit nd physics whihc typially dont go togehter but there still doing well. At the end of the day you ust have to pick what you will enjoy most as content comes thick and afst so if your getting hounded with content you dont like you wont do well but if you like it you wont see much step up from gcses.
Reply 2
Original post by charlie.R.12
Personally i took maths physics and economics. Maths and economics for what some people think you need to do both the maths doesnt go further then gcse. If you wnat to do economics at university then take maths. I think economics is quite interesting and the essays arent too bad to write once you know how to but shouldnt be a problem with the fact you do eng lit. Again dont not pick subjects because they dont link i know poeple doing eng lit nd physics whihc typially dont go togehter but there still doing well. At the end of the day you ust have to pick what you will enjoy most as content comes thick and afst so if your getting hounded with content you dont like you wont do well but if you like it you wont see much step up from gcses.

thank you so much for the advice i sm confident i want do do econ and english lit but wasn’t so sure about media as long as i end up enjoying it i think i will be fine
thank you so much for the advice i sm confident i want do do econ and english lit but wasn’t so sure about media as long as i end up enjoying it i think i will be fine

yea from doing econ i can say it is mainly economic based which may seem obvious but what i mean is there is very little math. My mate says english lit is good and interesting but quite a bit of coursework but he leaves it last minute so dont do that and it will be fine and i got another mate doing media and he seems to really like it and says it is quite an easy subject. Econ will probably be the hardest but youll get to know econplusdal who makes really good youtube videos and if you make constant notee each time you finish a topic then you will be fine.
Reply 4
yea from doing econ i can say it is mainly economic based which may seem obvious but what i mean is there is very little math. My mate says english lit is good and interesting but quite a bit of coursework but he leaves it last minute so dont do that and it will be fine and i got another mate doing media and he seems to really like it and says it is quite an easy subject. Econ will probably be the hardest but youll get to know econplusdal who makes really good youtube videos and if you make constant notee each time you finish a topic then you will be fine.

oooh yh i have heard media is easy, so does that make it less respected ig than other subjects? i dont know what i want my future career to be so i want to leave as many options open as possible if i take media will it be harder to get into a good uni or it doesn’t matter all that matters is the grade i get if that makes sense?
what is your personal opinion on media?
Reply 5
i have always had a hard time deciding what to do after my gcses and choices for what i want to do in 6 form are coming up. i always liked business studies however i want to do economics alevel instead but i dont want to do maths alevel is that a wise choice? i am not going to do an economics degree in uni. i want to do English literature as its my passion but i dont know if it goes well with econ and lastly media studies sound fun so i wanted to do that as well. should i do these or choose something else? will i regret it? what combinations should i do instead?

hey don't stress on this too much now since when you enter sixth form (I'm guessing you're in year 11), you will be bombarded with options by teachers (only in the first month) if you want to change subject :smile:. Now with media studies, yes I've heard from people it is quite a relaxed subject in the term it's not exactly 'fun' ( you may find it fun tho) but it's regarded as quite an 'easy' a level. I wouldn't like saying 'easy' as most of the time a levels are not easy but in this case idk how to word it. But with this in hand, a lot of universities don't see media studies or even subjects like citizenship as good or well respected a levels to take and will be hesitant on giving you an offer and etc - in the end it's your choice but that is what I know. As exactly what the other person said in the thread, pick a-levels you find interesting but at the same time are also well-respected (sciences, humanities/social sciences etc). Now for math and econ, its not necessary to take both if you like one. Econ is more direct and will take you into stuff like finance, accounting, business etc while maths can extend to more places. Don't be worried on whether which goes the best with which other subject. Econ and Eng lit sounds fine as well as business and Eng lit as another combo. Trust me if you take econ and not math, it won't be damaging as you may think. If you dont want to do maths/have a math related future at uni and above, don't do maths. If you love Eng lit and what to do that in the future, do English lit. If you're interested in econ , I'd say you should probably look more into it and if you like what u see, take it as even if you dont want an econ degree/future, it still opens up other good possibilities if you change your mind on English lit as your future! In the end do stuff you like :smile:. But if you're in GCSE year 11 right now, don't stress as you can always change in year 11 and the start of sixth form! Just right now/ after you've picked the a-levels, focus more on GCSE. Good luck and don't worry, you'll be fine! hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mossu
hey don't stress on this too much now since when you enter sixth form (I'm guessing you're in year 11), you will be bombarded with options by teachers (only in the first month) if you want to change subject :smile:. Now with media studies, yes I've heard from people it is quite a relaxed subject in the term it's not exactly 'fun' ( you may find it fun tho) but it's regarded as quite an 'easy' a level. I wouldn't like saying 'easy' as most of the time a levels are not easy but in this case idk how to word it. But with this in hand, a lot of universities don't see media studies or even subjects like citizenship as good or well respected a levels to take and will be hesitant on giving you an offer and etc - in the end it's your choice but that is what I know. As exactly what the other person said in the thread, pick a-levels you find interesting but at the same time are also well-respected (sciences, humanities/social sciences etc). Now for math and econ, its not necessary to take both if you like one. Econ is more direct and will take you into stuff like finance, accounting, business etc while maths can extend to more places. Don't be worried on whether which goes the best with which other subject. Econ and Eng lit sounds fine as well as business and Eng lit as another combo. Trust me if you take econ and not math, it won't be damaging as you may think. If you dont want to do maths/have a math related future at uni and above, don't do maths. If you love Eng lit and what to do that in the future, do English lit. If you're interested in econ , I'd say you should probably look more into it and if you like what u see, take it as even if you dont want an econ degree/future, it still opens up other good possibilities if you change your mind on English lit as your future! In the end do stuff you like :smile:. But if you're in GCSE year 11 right now, don't stress as you can always change in year 11 and the start of sixth form! Just right now/ after you've picked the a-levels, focus more on GCSE. Good luck and don't worry, you'll be fine! hope this helps! :smile:

thank you very much aswell! yh i am in year 11 and stressed enough with my gcses. if media isnt a well respected subject should i consider picking something that is actually well respected or should i just go with media as i am already planning on doing econ and english lit?
oooh yh i have heard media is easy, so does that make it less respected ig than other subjects? i dont know what i want my future career to be so i want to leave as many options open as possible if i take media will it be harder to get into a good uni or it doesn’t matter all that matters is the grade i get if that makes sense?
what is your personal opinion on media?

im going throught the long process of applying for unis know. perosnally im applying for mechanical enigneering. Engineering and a few other more maths studies like economics reuire maths however the majority of university courses dont and not all uniersitites want maths for economics. All univesities really care about is your grades. If i wanted to im pretty sure i could go do marine bilogy, geography, history the list goes on depsite me taking maths physics and economics so dont think what you take is going to limit you to just those subject at uni. I dont really know much about media but i never hear people talk down about it. Its more your courses like sociology and physchology which arent highly looked upon.
thank you very much aswell! yh i am in year 11 and stressed enough with my gcses. if media isnt a well respected subject should i consider picking something that is actually well respected or should i just go with media as i am already planning on doing econ and english lit?

i wouldnt be hundred percent sure as people looking down on media as i have friends applying to oxford and other russel group unis taking french media and law. An A* in media is much better then a b in business so dont foregot that. And while it may be looked at as an easier subject might aswell take advantage of it to put more time int lit coursework and economics revision etc. while still maintaning a high grade in media.
Reply 9

Hey again. It's good you already have an idea planned out for Econ and Eng lit! Subjects like maths, English, sciences, econ,business, languages, other good social sciences/humanities are well regarded by unis. Subjects like general studies, media studies, citizenship are from what I know are not considered great subjects, but rather as 'soft subjects'. Let's say for example you want to solely go into eng lit as a future career or something English related, i'd recommend not doing media studies as it won't really add anything , unless you are actually and I mean genuinely interested in it. The other only time media studies will be essential to your a levels is if you want a degree in media studies/ a definite career in media, cultural and creative industries. I'd say view the other possible subjects your school has to offer as Econ and Eng lit are really good choices so far. It's just imo, I have to say i unfortunately wouldn't do media studies - one as im not interested and two its not well respected. If you know you won't do anything media studies related, don't pick it at all and pick something more well regarded by unis and if you have a genuine interest in media studies which you know you absolutely will do in the future as a career option, then do it. But from what I can see so far, I wouldn't take it. Really hope that helps again! :smile:
im going throught the long process of applying for unis know. perosnally im applying for mechanical enigneering. Engineering and a few other more maths studies like economics reuire maths however the majority of university courses dont and not all uniersitites want maths for economics. All univesities really care about is your grades. If i wanted to im pretty sure i could go do marine bilogy, geography, history the list goes on depsite me taking maths physics and economics so dont think what you take is going to limit you to just those subject at uni. I dont really know much about media but i never hear people talk down about it. Its more your courses like sociology and physchology which arent highly looked upon.

oooh kk that makes sense quite nice knowing they mostly care about the grades as my main goal is getting the highest grades possible. wish u the best of luck in applying to unis and i hope u get into the ones u want. tbh i have heard people talk down media a bit but at the end of the day its my choice so yh
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mossu
Hey again. It's good you already have an idea planned out for Econ and Eng lit! Subjects like maths, English, sciences, econ,business, languages, other good social sciences/humanities are well regarded by unis. Subjects like general studies, media studies, citizenship are from what I know are not considered great subjects, but rather as 'soft subjects'. Let's say for example you want to solely go into eng lit as a future career or something English related, i'd recommend not doing media studies as it won't really add anything , unless you are actually and I mean genuinely interested in it. The other only time media studies will be essential to your a levels is if you want a degree in media studies/ a definite career in media, cultural and creative industries. I'd say view the other possible subjects your school has to offer as Econ and Eng lit are really good choices so far. It's just imo, I have to say i unfortunately wouldn't do media studies - one as im not interested and two its not well respected. If you know you won't do anything media studies related, don't pick it at all and pick something more well regarded by unis and if you have a genuine interest in media studies which you know you absolutely will do in the future as a career option, then do it. But from what I can see so far, I wouldn't take it. Really hope that helps again! :smile:

i see yes this is helpful thank u.if i were to choose something else other than media what subject in your opinion would go well with english lit and econ?
i wouldnt be hundred percent sure as people looking down on media as i have friends applying to oxford and other russel group unis taking french media and law. An A* in media is much better then a b in business so dont foregot that. And while it may be looked at as an easier subject might aswell take advantage of it to put more time int lit coursework and economics revision etc. while still maintaning a high grade in media.

that makes a lot of sense. thank u u have been very helpful
Reply 13
i see yes this is helpful thank u.if i were to choose something else other than media what subject in your opinion would go well with english lit and econ?

Defo history or business. Business has essay elements and relates to econ and history has obs essay elements and relates a lot to English. I'd just like to point out from the other guy as yes, you can apply to Russel group unis with media as I know people who went to st Andrews (3rd/4th in UK) and Cambridge (1st/2nd in the UK) with media but it was very rare. Having an a* at media will look better than idk a D at history/business if you know what I mean but its just the case on some uni websites they have said they don't accept media/general studies as a subject if you go to the entry requirements on their course website.
Original post by Mossu
Defo history or business. Business has essay elements and relates to econ and history has obs essay elements and relates a lot to English. I'd just like to point out from the other guy as yes, you can apply to Russel group unis with media as I know people who went to st Andrews (3rd/4th in UK) and Cambridge (1st/2nd in the UK) with media but it was very rare. Having an a* at media will look better than idk a D at history/business if you know what I mean but its just the case on some uni websites they have said they don't accept media/general studies as a subject if you go to the entry requirements on their course website.

ahh yes i enjoy business currently as i am taking it for my gcses and doing it for alevels doesnt sound that bad. i cant do history alevels as i am doing geography now tho. also if i want to try a subject that i haven’t done before should i? or should i mostly stick with academic subjects i have experience in
ahh yes i enjoy business currently as i am taking it for my gcses and doing it for alevels doesnt sound that bad. i cant do history alevels as i am doing geography now tho. also if i want to try a subject that i haven’t done before should i? or should i mostly stick with academic subjects i have experience in

if your going to be aiming for the highest grades it is probabl best to just stay with what you are alreafy doing ad good at. not worth having to do extra as mostly everyne in geography would have done it gcse

Heya!
Have you checked the entry requirements for English lit courses? For example, UCL English only says English lit needed so you can pick economics and media studies (always just check the uni, their preferred a-levels and its entry requirements ) :h: Your selection should be fine! For economics degrees, you need a maths a-level but you don't want to do it so not having maths shouldn't be a problem for your choice. I did economics a-level and absolutely loved it so would recommend it! It was much more interesting than business ( i did business and economics GCSE) !

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Have you checked the entry requirements for English lit courses? For example, UCL English only says English lit needed so you can pick economics and media studies (always just check the uni, their preferred a-levels and its entry requirements ) :h: Your selection should be fine! For economics degrees, you need a maths a-level but you don't want to do it so not having maths shouldn't be a problem for your choice. I did economics a-level and absolutely loved it so would recommend it! It was much more interesting than business ( i did business and economics GCSE) !

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

ooh yes tysm i should check uni requirements aswell i actually forgot about doing that😭. if i do economics alevel but i dont do a degree i can still apply the knowledge i learnt right? like on other areas that i may want a career in not necessary anything to do with maths but yh
(edited 1 year ago)

are you sure you cant? some sixth forms will let you do geography/history if you get the necessary requirement for a humanity and maths for example i do history gcse but i can do geo alevel if i get a 7 in history and maths/eng

Don't go choosing your options based on what matches up and if the subjects link! do what youre passionate about and what you think you'll be interested in. I do business studies and its fun, the essays aren't that bad and a lot of it once you get the formulas its a lot of common sense in terms of chaining analysis and everything. Dont worry at all about subjects lining up do what you want. Once in a level yes you have chances to change if you don't like the course but you dont really want that hassle. If youre planning to do economics in university i would maybe suggest some sort of maths as you may find it easier, but if not take economics if it interests you. You do get a lot of content to work through in a levels so its best too pick subjects that will interest you so you slightly dont mind the work loads.

Quick Reply

Latest