The Student Room Group

Should I drop business? Current A-levels: Maths, EngLit, Media, and Business

I absolutely hate business, but I chose it during Y11 to offset the “soft” subject I chose, being media. I only really enjoy Maths, EngLit, and Media but I’m scared if I drop business my combination won’t be as impressive? But I absolutely hate it, and it’s taking away a lot of my time when I could be focusing on other subjects. What should I do?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
There is no need to do 4 A-Levels as you will only need 3 to get into uni or higher education.

Personally, I would drop it since getting AAA would look better than getting AAAC at the end of your A-Levels.

Doing those three subjects (Maths, English Lit and Media) are completely fine because you have a STEM subject, essay based and a creative subject. Keeping your options open regardless on what you choose to do.

Hope this helps.
Original post by ngphuonhii
I absolutely hate business, but I chose it during Y11 to offset the “soft” subject I chose, being media. I only really enjoy Maths, EngLit, and Media but I’m scared if I drop business my combination won’t be as impressive? But I absolutely hate it. What should I do?

Hi there

If you are not enjoying business, I would suggest dropping it. This would allow you more time to focus on the other three subjects and to increase your grades. Or perhaps you could consider doing AS business for 1 year, instead of A level business for 2 years? However, most people only take 3 A levels, so there is no pressure on taking 4 subjects. :smile:

If you are worried about the combination not looking good, there are other things that you can do: getting work experience, doing volunteering, writing an EPQ, etc. These will be helpful in demonstrating different skill sets in the future- whether that be employment or applications for further studies.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Aceful
There is no need to do 4 A-Levels as you will only need 3 to get into uni or higher education.

Personally, I would drop it since getting AAA would look better than getting AAAC at the end of your A-Levels.

Doing those three subjects (Maths, English Lit and Media) are completely fine because you have a STEM subject, essay based and a creative subject. Keeping your options open regardless on what you choose to do.

Hope this helps.

thank you for your advice ! i recently asked my head of sixth form to drop business for me but he said i should be doing 4 subjects because i got all a* in my igcse’s. he told me to wait till mocks but overall i shouldn’t drop it because he thinks i’m capable of 4 A’s and 4 A’s will be more impressive than 3. it’s worth mentioning…. my head of sixth form is also my business tutor and im doing well in his class but i absolutely hate the subject so there’s that added element of not wanting to upset him. so now i’m kind of backed into a wall 😭
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

If you are not enjoying business, I would suggest dropping it. This would allow you more time to focus on the other three subjects and to increase your grades. Or perhaps you could consider doing AS business for 1 year, instead of A level business for 2 years? However, most people only take 3 A levels, so there is no pressure on taking 4 subjects. :smile:

If you are worried about the combination not looking good, there are other things that you can do: getting work experience, doing volunteering, writing an EPQ, etc. These will be helpful in demonstrating different skill sets in the future- whether that be employment or applications for further studies.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

hi Chloe! thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
i recently asked my head of sixth form to allow me to drop business but he said no because 1) i got all a* in my igcses and i should be doing 4 subjects because I’m capable of getting 4A’s 2) 4 A’s will be more impressive than 3 A’s
what do you make of this? i have a feeling he’s trying to manipulate me into doing business because he’s also my business teacher and I’m doing quite well in his class (just hate, hate, hateee the subject)

Quick Reply

Latest