Edexcel S2 - June 22nd, 2015 [Exam discusison thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by CALI1198
Isn't that just covered in S1?

really?

did not know that.
Reply 181
in past papers they sometimes set like 8 marks of the paper down to asking you to define words such as census etc. I have looked through the s2 specification on the edexcel website but cant actually find anything which says what definitions we need to know, i dont suppose someone happens to have a list of potential words and definitions?
Reply 183
Original post by wrfrew
in past papers they sometimes set like 8 marks of the paper down to asking you to define words such as census etc. I have looked through the s2 specification on the edexcel website but cant actually find anything which says what definitions we need to know, i dont suppose someone happens to have a list of potential words and definitions?

look in any text book.
there is usually a whole chapter on this "rubbish"
Tee Em <3
Original post by CALI1198
Its in S1. Think of it as any mean from a table. "Sum of fx over the sum of f" where f is the probabilities P(X=x). The sum of probabilities is 1 hence why we ignore the "over f" bit.

Sum of f x means sum of x times the P(X=x).

Original post by TeeEm
Then I could not possible explain it to you, but make a note of this for when you do M3, so long again you do things from first principles (no stupid formulas)

the continuous version of the E(X) is the x coordinate of the centre of mass of a lamina of unit mass, which has the shape of you PDF, i.e the balancing point of the lamina in the x direction.

the discrete version of the E(X) is the x coordinate of the centre of mass of n particles whose total mass is 1, the P(x) represents their relative mass.
i.e the "balancing point" again in the x direction.

Reply 186
A bit difficult to send you a photo of my book as I returned it back to school in 1982.

Will this do instead?
(apologies for the poor quality)
Reply 187
Original post by wrfrew

look at post 187
The definitions you need are:
Population, sample, sampling frame, sampling unit, census
Sampling distribution, simple random sample, statistic
Hypothesis test, critical region, actual level of significance.
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/157797956/Edexcel-Statistics-2

Here's the link to the full S2 textbook on scribd
https://57a324a1a586c5508d2813730734691051ac35fd.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ3M4QzJ0N19IeHc/January%202012%20QP%20-%20S2%20Edexcel.pdf

i dont understand question 2. Its a two tail test but only testing one tail ( i know its one sided results) but your changing the sig. level, instead of 2.5% each tail. thanks for any help
Original post by getback339
https://57a324a1a586c5508d2813730734691051ac35fd.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ3M4QzJ0N19IeHc/January%202012%20QP%20-%20S2%20Edexcel.pdf

i dont understand question 2. Its a two tail test but only testing one tail ( i know its one sided results) but your changing the sig. level, instead of 2.5% each tail. thanks for any help

This is a one tailed test.
H0: p = 0.5
H1: p > 0.5 (as being correct 21/30 days is bigger than 1/2).

Then carry out as a standard hypothesis test.

Two tailed tests would ask you to conduct a two tailed test or something about there being change in some way, without specifying whether it is an increase in rate or decrease in rate.
Been revising S2 to nearly 2 weeks now because I dont have any exams between S1 and S2. I just want to get it over and done with tbh.
Reply 193
Original post by TeeEm
look at post 187

thank you so much!
Just did the May 2011 paper, well ****.
Reply 195
Original post by wrfrew
thank you so much!

my pleasure
Reply 196
Question:
When doing a two-tailed hypothesis test, how do you know which tail to select?
P(X>x) or P(X<x)?
Original post by Nmys
Question:
P(X>x) or P(X<x)?

you have to look at both
Original post by Nmys
Question:
P(X>x) or P(X<x)?

When looking at a two tail test, consider probabilities that are near your significance level and then 1-sig level. In the question it will state either less than more than or as close as possible to in which case you can figure which ones you select
Original post by talkbiology
Just did the May 2011 paper, well ****.

I did that today; quite liked the cdf questions. What gave you problems? It's certainly harder than average with boundaries relatively low for S2 but still pretty crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending