The Student Room Group

Romanian and Bulgarian immigration up 576%

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11456944/Immigration-576-rise-in-poorest-Europeans-registering-for-work.html

The number of Romanian & Bulgarian immigrants getting NI numbers went up 576% to over 187,000 in 2014 since borders opened up from ust 27,000 the year before. They are just the ones working not including non workers, illegal workers, elderly or young. Despite being small nations this was 25% of all foreign applicants for NI numbers & overall represents about 1% of the entire Romanian & Bulgarian population moving to the UK in 1 year

Were UKIP right about their warnings?
You won't get any real answer.

When UKIP made their predictions, everybody said that it was unrealistic and that it would never happened.

Now that it did happen, they're saying ''It happened. So what?''
I think you have misunderstood this article, it's the number that have applied for NI numbers so they can register to work after the work restrictions were lifted, which will include the ones that were already here but weren't allowed to work legally. This means they will now have to pay tax and the government knows where they are.

The actual numbers of new migrants are much lower: the latest figures show it went up from 24,000 to 37,000.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/february-2015/index.html

37,000 Romanian and Bulgarian (EU2) citizens immigrated to the UK in the year ending September 2014, a statistically significant increase from 24,000 in the previous 12 months. Of these, 27,000 were coming for work, a rise of 10,000 on year ending September 2013, but this increase itself was not statistically significant.
Reply 3
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think you have misunderstood this article, it's the number that have applied for NI numbers so they can register to work after the work restrictions were lifted, which will include the ones that were already here but weren't allowed to work legally. This means they will now have to pay tax and the government knows where they are.

The actual numbers of new migrants are much lower: the latest figures show it went up from 24,000 to 37,000.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/february-2015/index.html

I said in my original comment it concerned new NI numbers, and NI numbers are not only for work you also need one to claim benefits, the numbers even if here already are gigantic it is about 1% of the entire population of those countries in 1 year
Reply 4
Original post by Ace123
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11456944/Immigration-576-rise-in-poorest-Europeans-registering-for-work.html

The number of Romanian & Bulgarian immigrants getting NI numbers went up 576% to over 187,000 in 2014 since borders opened up from ust 27,000 the year before. They are just the ones working not including non workers, illegal workers, elderly or young. Despite being small nations this was 25% of all foreign applicants for NI numbers & overall represents about 1% of the entire Romanian & Bulgarian population moving to the UK in 1 year

1% may not sound like a lot but it's actually crazy high. Thankfully China is not in the EU; otherwise 1% of their population will mean 13.5 million people coming!
Original post by Ace123

I don't know. What exactly is the problem with this?
Let's celebrate the fact we have created more jobs than all the EU combined and people want to come here to work.

Rather than complain about immigration.

A good tory soundbite
Well yeah, how was it not going to happen? The UK has a higher standard of living than Romania and Bulgaria and so if you allow free movement then youre going to get a high rate of immigration.
Reply 8
I have no problems with Romanians or Bulgarians unless they are doing criminal activities.
Reply 9
Original post by SHallowvale
I don't know. What exactly is the problem with this?

I'm not entirely certain but I think this is the problem: the wages they'll work for. The type of jobs they'll get (e.g. working in a factory) are not remotely glamorous and really need to offer workers something good in order to tempt people into doing such a crap job. But they don't have to do that when they have tonnes of foreign people happy to work there. Our minimum wage is low, but still better than what they'd get back home, so it's not a problem for them. They may be sending that money back home where it's actually worth something. It's just like outsourcing work to another country on the cheap, but instead bringing the workers here.

I've worked in one of these places and that was the impression I got of it - plus stuff I've read online. The morning briefs were given in Polish as about 99% of the workers were from there. The job was absolutely horrific and I hated every second of it - the place was filthy and the work was incredibly physically strenuous - but they all seemed delighted to be there. I don't for one second think that's to do with a work ethic difference, as a lot of people will have you believe, but actually to do with the money, which they perceived as being high. It was actually the lowest you can legally get in this country but hey, it's better than what's on offer back home.

Anyway, the issue with all of that is that it's just increasing the gap between the rich and the poor; the company can pay lower wages and pocket all the money they save for themselves.
As low wages are so much of a problem maybe its time to raise the minimum wage.....stop cheap labour undercutting us.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
As low wages are so much of a problem maybe its time to raise the minimum wage.....stop cheap labour undercutting us.

No. Businesses should be able to pay whatever wage they want.

So long as it isn't to Romanians and Bulgarians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So? Every Eastern European immigrant that I've ever met in this country has been a good person and they are also work hard and have a good attitude in my experience.
Original post by InnerTemple
No. Businesses should be able to pay whatever wage they want.

So long as it isn't to Romanians and Bulgarians.

I suppose low pay is one of those issues like animal rights/womens rights/child abuse....it doesn't feature on the radar of the right wing's "problems we need to tackle" unless it can be brought up in the context of groups they don't like.

In fact have you ever heard a right winger talk about any of those issues when it doesn't involve attacking a minority group...:holmes:

Anyway maybe we don't need to worry about pay being driven down by immigrants because there is all that wealth to "trickle down" from the huge profits being made by the state-guaranteed banking sector....
Rather them than Indians/Pakistanis/Africans tbh.
They are on low wage Zero hours contracts companies love them they work for min wage in factories and warehouses
they'll keep on coming if nothing is done about it. Why would companies raise wages when they can pick people desperate for work from the EU countries.
They might be good hard working people but this country is simply too full the NHS can't cope. Most can't speak English I went to my local GP and saw the amount of Polish, Solvc translators which is simply a waste of tax payers money. They take more than they contribute, I am no UKIP but I agree with their policies on EU immigration.
Let's help romania/bulgaria by not
taking away their doctors,
their labour force
their future generation

away from them.

the Britain is overcrowded argument no longer works
Well having been taught maths in Romania as a child and then again in the UK for GCSE, I can attest to the fact that it's better taught there. One of the few things, granted, that is better there, but nonetheless you'd never find such a low standard for mathematical interpretation. 3764% of zero is still zero.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending