The Student Room Group
Reply 1
One of the United World Colleges is in South Africa (oki, Swaziland).
Reply 2
hey,
even though swaziland is in south africa, its a whole different country. it has its own king, currency, laws, everything...so i still don't know whether south african schools offer IB...the reason why i was wondering is that south african universities look higher on the south african grade 12 diploma than IB.
Reply 3
hey, im south african... and i know of a couple of schools that are offering the IB. Not 2 sure about the unis prefering south african matric to IB, but who knows....
pinkflower
hey..
i was wondering..is there anyone from south africa on this message board? does south africa even have the IB??

I just looked it up on the IB website. There is one school, The International School of Johannesburg with 500 students in the IBDP.
The co-ordinator:
Ms Dawn McMaster
American International School of Johannesburg
Private Bag X4

Bryanston
Johannesburg
South Africa

Telephone: (27) 11 464 1505
Reply 5
Hi

Yes, IB is offered in conjunction with the American diploma. The IB is accepted at the best universities of South Africa and generally meets the requirements of the National Matriculation Certificate (which is largely dependent upon which examination board it was from in the country). Private examination boards are of a similar standard to the IB (less the CAS/TOK/EE).

Six subjects are taken over a similar period and lead to final examinations which are externally set and externally examined. They must include maths, two languages (one of which must include Afrikaans (by law) unless you are exempt because you are not a South African national).

The University of Cape Town (UCT) accepts the IB diploma as does the University of the Witswatersrand. When I wrote the National Education Department, they were still investigating the possiblity of drawing similarities and contrasts between the two systems.

An average offer for IB to UCT is 32-35 points including Maths HL, English HL, and a science.

I have a friend who is finishing IB at AISJ shortly, if you would like to get in touch with him, let me know.

Good Luck.
John

Latest

Trending

Trending