The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Question

Potatoes cost £9 for a 12.5kg at a farm shop.
The same type of potatoes cost £1.83 for 2.5kg at a Supermarket.
Where are the potatoes the better value. at the farm or the supermarket?
Please give method.
Thankyou
Work out the cost of one kilogram of potatoes. at each supermarket. Not particularly taxing, I'm not giving you a method :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hinicetomeetyou
Work out the cost of one kilogram of potatoes. at each supermarket. Not particularly taxing, I'm not giving you a method :smile:

Didnt help.Need method:biggrin:
Reply 3
Two ways to do this:

Either divide the 12.5 by 5 to get the equivalent value of 2.5. If you do this you must also divide the 9 by 5 which will give you £1.83
From this you can easily compare that the farm shop is cheaper by 3p

[More confusing method]

Multiply 2.5kg by 5 to get the equivalent value of 12.5. If you do this you must also multiply the £1.83 by 5 to get £9.15
From this you can easily compare to see that the farm shop is still cheaper. But by this time it is 15p cheaper, this is where it could get confusing but all you really may have to do (depending on exam board) is just divide the 15 by 5<(the number you multiplied by) to easily get the 3p that you had initially.
Original post by RBalboa
Didnt help.Need method:biggrin:

Christ. I hope this is foundation. if 12.5kg is £X ... the cost of 1Kg is £X/12.5
Do the same for both with their respective values of X and however many kilograms is stated in the question and you can compare the two costs for 1kg.
Reply 5
Original post by onderk
Two ways to do this:

Either divide the 12.5 by 5 to get the equivalent value of 2.5. If you do this you must also divide the 9 by 5 which will give you £1.83
From this you can easily compare that the farm shop is cheaper by 3p

[More confusing method]

Multiply 2.5kg by 5 to get the equivalent value of 12.5. If you do this you must also multiply the £1.83 by 5 to get £9.15
From this you can easily compare to see that the farm shop is still cheaper. But by this time it is 15p cheaper, this is where it could get confusing but all you really may have to do (depending on exam board) is just divide the 15 by 5<(the number you multiplied by) to easily get the 3p that you had initially.

Thanks but never going to understand it.
The answer will be the farm shop because you have to divide and compare your answers.
Reply 7
Original post by German123
The answer will be the farm shop because you have to divide and compare your answers.

Which two numbers am i dividing together? for farm shop and supermarket?
Original post by RBalboa
Which two numbers am i dividing together? for farm shop and supermarket?

I think you would fist divide the 12.5 by £ 9.00 and then see what you get and then 2.5 by £1.80 and see what you get for this.

Edit: This is what I think which may not be right so you should check before quoting me on this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RBalboa
Potatoes cost £9 for a 12.5kg at a farm shop.
The same type of potatoes cost £1.83 for 2.5kg at a Supermarket.
Where are the potatoes the better value. at the farm or the supermarket?
Please give method.
Thankyou

Farm Shop
12.5=9
1=? 9*1= 9/12.5 (cross Multiplication)
1= 0.72

Supermarket
2.5=1.83
1=? 1.83*1= 1.83/2.5
1= 0.732

The farm shop is better. Supermarket is expensive

Hope this helps you :smile: