The Student Room Group

What career to pursue in computer science.

Hi my name is Daniel. Im new to the forums. I was just searching for some information, feedback from those who may already be in some type of computer related career.

Im a disabled veteran and I just got the go ahead from the VA center to start schooling for a career. I can pick about any career I want , but I love computers, technology, fixing computers, networking seems fun.
What I am currently trying to decide

What Computer science field is good for me is the question I am asking myself.
How much time does it take ?
Degree or Certifications, or Both ? ( Still trying to figure out what employers want )
What to specialize in.

What school is better to take ? A college where your there in person, or an online degree program ?

What ones will pay good money ? Obviously if the VA is going to pay for everything I may as well capitalize on getting a good education and field.

Sky is the limit here, picking any career, but I chose something computer related because that seems the way the world is moving quickly.

Any help , links to websites, peoples feedback who are in the field already.

I realize this is a UK website, and im in the usa, but any feedback is appreciated
Thanks.
Original post by Cmecu
Hi my name is Daniel. Im new to the forums. I was just searching for some information, feedback from those who may already be in some type of computer related career.

Im a disabled veteran and I just got the go ahead from the VA center to start schooling for a career. I can pick about any career I want , but I love computers, technology, fixing computers, networking seems fun.

Degree or Certifications, or Both ? ( Still trying to figure out what employers want )
What to specialize in.

What school is better to take ? A college where your there in person, or an online degree program ?

What ones will pay good money ? Obviously if the VA is going to pay for everything I may as well capitalize on getting a good education and field.

Sky is the limit here, picking any career, but I chose something computer related because that seems the way the world is moving quickly.

I realize this is a UK website, and im in the usa, but any feedback is appreciated
Thanks.

(I suppose you never studied Comp Sci, if you did, I guess you can decide for yourself) Well, a Computer Science degree does imply learning about what a computer is made of and so on, but mostly it's programming. (I'm still a student, feel free to ignore this) You should only go for a Comp Sci related degree if you're good at maths/solving logical problems.
Reply 2
Original post by emanueladiana
(I suppose you never studied Comp Sci, if you did, I guess you can decide for yourself) Well, a Computer Science degree does imply learning about what a computer is made of and so on, but mostly it's programming. (I'm still a student, feel free to ignore this) You should only go for a Comp Sci related degree if you're good at maths/solving logical problems.

I was thinking more Networking, or Cyber security , IT any of that kind of stuff. I need to see what all is involved and see if it falls with in my strengths or weaknesses
Original post by Cmecu
I was thinking more Networking, or Cyber security , IT any of that kind of stuff. I need to see what all is involved and see if it falls with in my strengths or weaknesses

Well, there are in UK, so must mean there are in US too! Look what I found
http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Vac=6&AvailableIn=2015&Query=network&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=&SubjectCode=
Hope it helped:smile:
Reply 4
It's not necessarily about programming, but it does involve a lot of programming.
The degree itself is very flexible, you basically can go into any field of your liking as long it interests you.
However, you must be good at mathematics.
Reply 5
Original post by Cmecu

hey mate I'm in an almost similar position to you, ex soldier off to uni to do comp sci, looking to get into cyber security.

if your looking to do uni, then you should look at unis in your area and ask what they think.

As as for certifications, comptia Certs hold a lot of weight in the us, I had a+, sec+ and net+ all payed for by our ministry of defence.

I come from an infantry background so it's a massive shift for me, but it seems to going well and employers in the uk seem to like my previous experience, having done a bit in America I imagine they look even more favourably at ex soldiers over there.

What sort of background do you come from if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Cmecu

What to specialize in.

Thanks.

You don't seem to have a clear idea of what you want to do. Computer Science by definition is not concerned with what you know as "computers", it is a highly mathematical field that focused on information processing and algorithms. By your description, you seem to be interested IT rather than CS (they are not the same thing).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending