The Student Room Group

science a levels

What high paying careers/good degrees can I do with science a levels barring dentistry and medicine?
Reply 1
What do you consider as “high paying” ? What science subjects are you considering? Someone with physics and maths can go apply to degrees that are quite different to someone with Biology/Chemistry.

Overall, there are many degrees you can pursue with science subjects but your question cannot really be answered accurately unless you answer those 2 questions in my opinion.
Reply 2
For me high paying is a career that could make up to 80k atleast. Obviously not as starting pay. And I’m considering all sciences and maths.
Reply 3
I would suggest looking at something like indeed.com to see high-paying jobs - it seems reliable as people with the actual jobs report their salaries. Leading roles in engineering/IT can pay around there and those stem from engineering/computer science related degrees. A typical A-Level combination for engineering is Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Further maths is not always needed but it is recommended. Depending on which type of engineering you want to go to and depending on the university, you can also have Chemistry instead of physics. Maths and Physics are both definitely needed in many cases tho.

To do computer science you need Maths for sure, Further maths, physics and computer science A-Levels are also recommended but not 100% needed at all universities I believe.

Higher paying jobs usually link to stuff like banking/finance/tax/actuary related stuff and people do degrees like finance/accounting/business/maths with any of those or just a math degree - for those people pick Maths as an A-Level. Other subjects aren't generally needed but you'll have to check uni-specific entry requirements.

On the Biology/Chemistry side - I'm not sure if there are many careers directly linked to them (aside from Medicine/Dentistry) that are high paying to your standards unless people have a PhD and are working for large corporations or something - someone better informed may prove me wrong though.

Also, remember some careers that are relatively well paid, will accept you even if you have a degree not related to the job itself (although that would be helpful in applying I think) - there are postgraduate schemes out there for people.

Goodluck with whatever you end up doing - if you have any questions, ask and I will try to answer to the best of my ability (or someone more knowledgeable can take the stage)

Quick Reply

Latest