The Student Room Group

Dilemma between choosing medical or computing science field

I'm an S5 SQA student, with 5 Highers (Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science, Mathematics, English), aiming for 5 A's this year. I'm much less concerned about achieving aspired grades, but more so deciding on my career pathway, and I'd like to know if anyone else has been in this situation before.
I really enjoy programming in my Computing Science class, and it feels like it's a lifestyle that would suit me; to be able to work on a laptop/pc from home/some nice environment, however I have personally went through a lot of heavy medical things, so I also find myself enjoying (most of) Biology this year, and Chemistry, thinking becoming a Doctor of some sorts would be great as well.
I understand that it's a vast difference between the 2 careers, with doctors/medicinary being more stressful for example, perhaps including salaries too, but I'm heavily hesitant on deciding which one is better for me. Any input is appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by gabberb
I'm an S5 SQA student, with 5 Highers (Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science, Mathematics, English), aiming for 5 A's this year. I'm much less concerned about achieving aspired grades, but more so deciding on my career pathway, and I'd like to know if anyone else has been in this situation before.
I really enjoy programming in my Computing Science class, and it feels like it's a lifestyle that would suit me; to be able to work on a laptop/pc from home/some nice environment, however I have personally went through a lot of heavy medical things, so I also find myself enjoying (most of) Biology this year, and Chemistry, thinking becoming a Doctor of some sorts would be great as well.
I understand that it's a vast difference between the 2 careers, with doctors/medicinary being more stressful for example, perhaps including salaries too, but I'm heavily hesitant on deciding which one is better for me. Any input is appreciated :smile:
Hey have you done any med work experiences? Shadowing? Volunteering maybe?
Computer Science is a tricky one; it's a lot harder to get your foot through the door in terms of employment after university. I've seen many people pursue Computing Science only to end up working in retail. Unless you're super talented or have relevant work experience, it can be quite hard to land a job. In addition, the tech sector isn't doing too well at the moment; many of the big tech companies are laying off staff in the thousands, seems very volatile at the moment. But all I can say is follow your passions and what you enjoy
Reply 3
Original post by gabberb
Careers in CS pay quite well on their own, but you could also take a field that utilises both - eg biotech/biodata/ medical analytical type careers. I've struggled with this idea too, and believe that if I'm not in it entirely and won't enjoy studying medicine - with how hard it is, the pay struggle, and how draining I've heard it is both on yourself and your social life, then it might not be worth it. If you really enjoy CS, you could seek something of a middle ground.
Reply 4
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey have you done any med work experiences? Shadowing? Volunteering maybe?
I havent done any of that, and I assume it's not great that that's the case. I've just been chilling in school 🥲
Original post by gabberb
I havent done any of that, and I assume it's not great that that's the case. I've just been chilling in school 🥲
Yeah would be good if you could do even one experience. Certainly helped ascertain my desire to do medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending