The Student Room Group

Urgent help!

I noticed in mark schemes the answers to definitions change. For instance a question asked to define something in a June 2010 and the same question came up in the June 2013 paper, however the answer to the question in the mark schemes were different even though the question was exactly the same. What do i do about this?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Mark schemes are written after a selection of papers are read, so it's likely that a couple of textbooks were updated and students learnt the new wording of a definition.
How different are the definitions? Most examiners just want to see that you've managed to pick out the key concepts of a term, rather than needing a word-for-word recollection.
Original post by Yousf
I noticed in mark schemes the answers to definitions change. For instance a question asked to define something in a June 2010 and the same question came up in the June 2013 paper, however the answer to the question in the mark schemes were different even though the question was exactly the same. What do i do about this?

In general, the most recent mark schemes represent current examiners thinking.

What subject?
What are the two definitions?
Do they mean the same thing?
Although only one definition of something will generally appear in a mark scheme, you don't usually have to reproduce the exact same wording to be awarded full marks. However, there may be key words that are essential to ensure marks are awarded. I often see people saying "well that's what I meant" when their definition isn't clear or detailed enough to earn marks. Examiners can't mark what is in your head or what you meant to say, only what is written down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest