The Student Room Group

Mechanics limiting problem with variable radius.

Okay so I'm trying to solve this problem and have ran into some difficulties.

Spoiler

Using impulse change of momentum principles I managed to figure out that the equation of motion for the hailstone is

dvdt+vmdmdt=g\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}+\frac{v}{m}\frac{dm}{dt}=g however I don't know how to work out dmdt\displaystyle \frac{dm}{dt} I thought it must have something to do with the differential equation given about the radius in the question but I couldn't figure it out and got stuck.

Presumably when I figure out dmdt\displaystyle \frac{dm}{dt} I can just solve to find v(t)\displaystyle v(t) and take the limit as t\displaystyle t \rightarrow \infty and the answer should drop out.

Any help?
Reply 1
Original post by alex2100x

Spoiler

Using impulse change of momentum principles I managed to figure out that the equation of motion for the hailstone is

dvdt+vmdmdt=g\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}+\frac{v}{m}\frac{dm}{dt}=g however I don't know how to work out dmdt\displaystyle \frac{dm}{dt} I thought it must have something to do with the differential equation given about the radius in the question but I couldn't figure it out and got stuck.

Presumably when I figure out dmdt\displaystyle \frac{dm}{dt} I can just solve to find v(t)\displaystyle v(t) and take the limit as t\displaystyle t \rightarrow \infty and the answer should drop out.

Any help?

Use the fact that m=k*(4/3 pi r^3)
Reply 2

Spoiler

Any help?

Also, you could probably use t tends to infinity for the limiting value, or you could use the fact acceleration is zero at the limit, so dv/dt =0
Reply 3
Original post by Gome44
Use the fact that m=k*(4/3 pi r^3)

Where does the k come from? (4/3 pi r^3) is obviously the volume? so is k the density? is this obvious or am I just going mad???
Reply 4
Where does the k come from? (4/3 pi r^3) is obviously the volume? so is k the density? is this obvious or am I just going mad???

Mass = density x volume

but note that in your DE you have (v/m) multiplying dm/dt so even though you don't know the density, it will cancel out in your working - just call it ρ\rho or something.

You can work out rate of change of volume using the chain rule.
Reply 5
Original post by davros
Mass = density x volume

but note that in your DE you have (v/m) multiplying dm/dt so even though you don't know the density, it will cancel out in your working - just call it ρ\rho or something.

You can work out rate of change of volume using the chain rule.

got it cheers lads.

Quick Reply

Latest