The Student Room Group

In 2 minds for A-level choices...

Hi guys, not really sure if this is the correct section for this, but I'm going into GCSEs and thinking about A levels for sixth form. The problem is, I'm not 100% sure on what I want to do - be it medicine or investment banking (two separate things, I know!). I think I would enjoy both, but I'm yet to do any work experience. Would Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Economics keep my options open for top universities for both courses?

Forgot to mention, I'm predicted all A*s for GCSE and I think if I put my mind to it i can get mostly A*s for A-Level.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
A few universities don't even ask for economics a level to do economics, but its so much more useful. My sister does economics at Cardiff and she did history, maths and economics a level which was deemed the 'perfect' choice. Having two of them, I'd say you're pretty set to go :smile:
Reply 2
Sounds like a good choice to me.
Original post by neilthomas
Hi guys, not really sure if this is the correct section for this, but I'm going into GCSEs and thinking about A levels for sixth form. The problem is, I'm not 100% sure on what I want to do - be it medicine or investment banking (two separate things, I know!). I think I would enjoy both, but I'm yet to do any work experience. Would Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Economics keep my options open for top universities for both courses?

Forgot to mention, I'm predicted all A*s for GCSE and I think if I put my mind to it i can get mostly A*s for A-Level.

Thanks

If you wanna do economics at a target then doing further maths helps.

but those a levels are fine if you wanted to do A&F at LSE or Warwick, or medicine if that's the route you want to go down.
Reply 4
You're fine with maths and ECON but if you're seriously trying for a top 5 you should consider further maths. Cambridge and LSE want FM and its really not going to harm if you don't apply to those 2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Definitely do further maths to keep your options open when applying for Economics etc at top universities. Banks love it too. Beware that some Med schools consider a combination of Maths and Further Maths as one A level, not two.

If your school allows it, the best option would be to study Further Maths and the four A levels you've mentioned, doing the entire Maths A level in year 12 and the entire Further Maths A level in year 13. I was in a similar position when choosing my AS levels and followed this path. By the end of year 12 I'd decided not to go the Medicine route so I was able to drop Biology (and eventually Chemistry after my offers came through), so I'm essentially doing one A level and an A2 this year!
I agree with everyone above - Further Maths will be extremely helpful for economics and most science related courses - and Economics is rarely requested as an A level since not many schools offer it.

You could also consider doing 5 ASs if you want to keep economics? If you are doing well in your GCSEs you could probably cope with the workload fine, particularly since Maths and Further Maths complement each other very well...
No further maths = No Imperial, Cambridge, LSE or anywhere that matters.
Reply 8
Do FM
Reply 9
Original post by Brubeckian

"Or anywhere that matters" - I'm suspecting a troll post here, eg Durham, UCL don't require FM!

OP watch out, Imperial doesn't do economics at undergrad nor does it require FM for medicine.

Also be aware though that Durham see's FM and Maths as too closely related and sees FM as a 4th A2 option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Yes for subjects like maths, econ, and engineering, but other than that, no you dont need FM.
Original post by Audi
"Or anywhere that matters" - I'm suspecting a troll post here, eg Durham, UCL don't require FM!

OP watch out, Imperial doesn't do economics at undergrad nor does it require FM for medicine.

Also be aware though that Durham see's FM and Maths as too closely related and sees FM as a 4th A2 option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durham, UCL?

You're the troll.
Original post by Schmitzel
Yes for subjects like maths, econ, and engineering, but other than that, no you dont need FM.

OP said he/she is interested in medicine/investment banking, either way economics is not needed and FM is superior to it in every way (in terms of being able to apply to more courses should OP change their mind).
Reply 13
Durham, UCL?

You're the troll.

Eh? What about Durham and UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Audi
Eh? What about Durham and UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never met anyone from Durham or UCL in investment banking. Thats probably just happenstance with UCL since they are recruited from, but Durham isn't a target school.

To answer the question take further maths, chemistry and biology. You'd easily get into LSE with 4As probably imperial and oxbridge and you'd still keep your options open for Medicine.

Thanks

I think the lack of Further Maths might potentially be a problem if you want to study Economics at a top uni.
Reply 16
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think the lack of Further Maths might potentially be a problem if you want to study Economics at a top uni.

So what would you drop in these circumstances? Economics?
So what would you drop in these circumstances? Economics?

I think you would need to do some further research on what specific medical schools' views on Further Maths as a separate subject to Maths are.

In an ideal world, given your uncertainty between Medicine and Investment Banking, I would recommend doing Further Maths on top of what you've already suggested. However, I know you may not want to do that, or indeed, your school may not be able to accommodate it anyway.

The issue with Further Maths and Medicine is that, as far as I'm aware, some universities only view Maths and Further Maths as one subject for Medicine. Therefore, if you dropped Economics and did Further Maths, some medical schools would only consider that you were doing 3 subjects, which they may not accept, given that I think most would want 4 to AS level, then 3 to A2. So what you want are medical schools that consider Maths and Further Maths to be at least separate AS Levels. So, eg if you did Maths, FMaths, Bio, and Chem, they'd accept that as 4 AS Levels and 3 A2 levels, or perhaps even 4 A2 levels. It probably wouldn't be OK if they just viewed it as 3 AS Levels.

Eg, see here: http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/Medical_Schools_entry_requirement_June_2011_1.1.pdf

EDIT: It seems Maths, FMaths, Chem, and Bio would be fine for a lot of medical schools. But probably not all of them. The problem would arise if the medical school requires 4 AS Levels, but doesn't consider Maths and FMaths to be separate, even at AS Level (some would count FMaths as an AS, but not an A2).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Hey guys,

struggling to find the right combo for my common entrance exams thats going to help me trade non - linear rates.

thanks for future helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending