The Student Room Group

South Carolina Police Officer shoots dead unarmed black man

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Good bloke
Eh? The video exposed him.

and I was referring to the part of the video where he dropped the taser on the guy's dead body.
Original post by Exon
You don't run away from a cop though, that's just asking to get shot. Not in the back but the legs maybe?

Despite what the movies may suggest, that level of marksmanship is extraordinarily rare and nigh on impossible to achieve.

And besides, even if he did manage to shoot the legs, the odds are then high that he'd clip an artery and the guy would be just as dead, just as quickly.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'd like to see the full footage.

We've had a recent spate of these shootings and when the full facts emerge th police have been vindicated.

Footage showing the planting of the taser at his body is on independent (first video).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/charleston-shooting-white-police-officer-charged-with-murder-after-video-emerges-of-him-killing-unarmed-black-man-as-he-ran-away-10161142.html

What appears to happen is the black guy hits the taser our of the policeman hand and then runs away? First question is why does the policeman brign out a taser? Did the guy do anything? He got pulled over due to a light violation on his car (I think).

Even if the bringing out of a taser was justified, the black guy ran away, he was not a threat. Shooting him 8 times in the back was wrong either way. As was lack of concern for his health when incapacitated, and planting the taser.

The closest to your position it can get is the black guy did something to warrant a taser being pulled out by the policeman. Even if that is true it doesn't make what happened next legitimate. Worse case scenario is black guy didn't do anything to warent being tasered or threatened to be tasered in which case it is fair to assume knocking of the taser out of the policeman's hand was self defense. Which is even worse than the first scenario. Either way, policeman killed someone for no justifiable reason.
(edited 9 years ago)
What is the likelihood that there will be riots over this? It might not happen this time round (touch wood) seeing as the policeman has been arrested after some pretty damning evidence.

It seems counter intuitive but it seems if it was certain that the policeman was in the wrong then people are less angry.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Footage showing the planting of the taser at his body is on independent (first video).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/charleston-shooting-white-police-officer-charged-with-murder-after-video-emerges-of-him-killing-unarmed-black-man-as-he-ran-away-10161142.html

What appears to happen is the black guy hits the taser our of the policeman hand and then runs away? First question is why does the policeman brign out a taser? Did the guy do anything? He got pulled over due to a light violation on his car (I think).

Even if the bringing out of a taser was justified, the black guy ran away, he was not a threat. Shooting him 8 times in the back was wrong either way. As was lack of concern for his health when incapacitated, and planting the taser.

The closest to your position it can get is the black guy did something to warrant a taser being pulled out by the policeman. Even if that is true it doesn't make what happened next legitimate. Worse case scenario is black guy didn't do anything to warent being tasered or threatened to be tasered in which case it is fair to assume knocking of the taser out of the policeman's hand was self defense. Which is even worse than the first scenario. Either way, policeman killed someone for no justifiable reason.

Seen the footage now and it doesn't look too good for the police officer in question.
That officer made a big mistake

Spoiler

Vast majority of people killed by police arn't black. Media and grievance groups only pick up on these stories when it fits their agenda of inciting racial division.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Exon
The victim didn't deserve being accused of stealing a taser. That cover-up attempt is probably what got the cop (rightly) charged.

You don't run away from a cop though, that's just asking to get shot. Not in the back but the legs maybe?

What? It's only justifiable to shoot someone if your or someone else's life is in immediate danger. Just because he was running away doesn't mean the police have the right to gun him down in broad daylight. From what I've read, his 'crime' was unpaid child support, something which is completely non-violent.

Another important point, is that shooting someone in the legs isn't always non-lethal; you could hit an artery and then they'd bleed out. If a police officer was in a situation where shooting someone is justified, they should be aiming for the chest.
We didn't see the whole fracas that occurred but the media will be clamoring for this guy's blood now because the footage looks too damning.
Original post by capitalismstinks
Vast majority of people killed by police arn't black. Media and grievance groups only pick up on these stories when it fits their agenda of inciting racial division.

It has been proven that blacks are disproportionately likely to be killed by US police compared to white people - you have to contextualise the raw data with the percentage of the population that are black. Police racism is not new and it does happen; just recently the US DoJ released a report into Ferguson that showed systemic racism, and in this case, the video is damning. Why else do you think that upon release of the video, Slager's own attorney refused to represent him?
Reply 50
I think armed police in all countries should wear body camera's.

Would immediately be able to actually see what happened in cases such as Mark Duggans in the UK and similar in America. A law-abiding cop should want this as well, as if i knew i did nothing wrong i'd love to have video to quickly prove this.

Only reason i would see an officer not wanting this is if they were not following rules.
Original post by ThatPerson
It has been proven that blacks are disproportionately likely to be killed by US police compared to white people - you have to contextualise the raw data with the percentage of the population that are black.

This isn't surprising. Black people are also disproportionately likely to be involved in crime.

That said, there is a problem in the police with racism and too quickly reaching for their guns And in this case, from what I've seen, the policeman's actions certainly cannot be justified.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
What about the other hundred cops who shot unarmed black people?

Yes and I wonder how many 'good shootings' of black people this extreme racist cop has been involved in in the past?

Many of these old slave states are still run like they were before the Civil War as regards policing. The US is hardly in a position to act as moral dictator to the rest of the world. They could do with looking at their own rat's nest properly.
Original post by Sabertooth
This isn't surprising. Black people are also disproportionately likely to be involved in crime.

That said, there is a problem in the police with racism and too quickly reaching for their guns And in this case, from what I've seen, the policeman's actions certainly cannot be justified.

It really isn't a moderate case of wrongly justified actions, or 'too quickly reaching for guns' as you put it. This is plainly the workings out of the most extreme, vicious racism and an utter contempt for black life.
Reply 54
real talk squad the police are reckless
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes and I wonder how many 'good shootings' of black people this extreme racist cop has been involved in in the past?

The incident has been quite enlightening.

I've heard many people - and seen posts here - where people have said words to the effect of: "I've seen the video and can now say the policeman was in the wrong."

Few people seem to have begun from a neutral position. It was clear that the assumption was that the police officer was right and the victim was wrong. And some people used the victim's race to support their initial view.

A sad state of affairs - and yet more evidence that racism (overt and unconscious) and is still rife.
We didn't see the whole incident. If the incident started over a traffic violation you have to ask why they weren't on a road? Some altercation obviously occurred before the shooting. Probably not enough to justify the shooting though.
Original post by InnerTemple

I've heard many people - and seen posts here - where people have said words to the effect of: "I've seen the video and can now say the policeman was in the wrong."

Few people seem to have begun from a neutral position. It was clear that the assumption was that the police officer was right and the victim was wrong. And some people used the victim's race to support their initial view.

A sad state of affairs - and yet more evidence that racism (overt and unconscious) and is still rife.

Yes, sadly it seems that the racism is widely shared and that many people's immediate reaction to these things is to blame the victim, even when the evidence is overwhelming and glaring, as in this case.
Original post by InnerTemple

people have a natural tendency to side with authority. Not because of skin colour, but because that's just the way it is.

But, after seeing the video they change their minds.

Yet still you have to inject your slippery and racist anti white narratives into the debate.

You are the racist.
Original post by ThatPerson
It has been proven that blacks are disproportionately likely to be killed by US police compared to white people - you have to contextualise the raw data with the percentage of the population that are black. Police racism is not new and it does happen; just recently the US DoJ released a report into Ferguson that showed systemic racism, and in this case, the video is damning. Why else do you think that upon release of the video, Slager's own attorney refused to represent him?

Its been proven that blacks commit massive disproportionate levels of crime, and are underrepresented in police violence in relation to their crime rates.

Example, blacks despite being under 15% of the U.S. population, commit 50% of homocides.

My original point stands. The only reason this story has made the mainstream news is because it fits in with their pre existing narrative, which seeks to divide people.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending