Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Subject? Grades required/predicted?

law! im predicted A*AA and Lancaster requires AAB, Exeter requires AAA
Original post by minah2005

so firm Exeter
& ince. Lancaster
( go to open days if you think it’s still hard to decide)
i literally do not know which one to firm helppp

Hi @minah2005,

I'm currently a second-year at Lancaster uni. I love it here at Lancaster because I like the campus and I like the modules that my degree teaches.
I think the most useful thing I did when deciding to come to uni here was to visit the campus at open days and offer holder events. It really is useful to get a chance to talk to students and academics here to see if you can see yourself here. Also, look at the modules that you will be taught to make sure they interest you.

Congrats on your offers and good luck deciding!
-Beth :smile:
Lancaster - one of the best smaller Unis in the UK and has an excellent reputation for Law.
Original post by McGinger
Lancaster - one of the best smaller Unis in the UK and has an excellent reputation for Law.

Ignore the anti Exeter bias here. In terms of Law Exeter is one of the strongest in the UK. It comes top in Chambers for Thames Valley and the South of England and second for the South West. It regularly ends up in the top 12. This guy Patrick Elias was an Exeter Law graduate and his brother who also went there was a Deputy High Court Judge and a leading QC

He was appointed Deputy High Court Judge in January 1999 and four months later, in May 1999, he was named Judge of the High Court, Queen's Bench Division. He was President of the Employment Appeal Tribunal from 2006 to 2009.

Mr Justice Elias was knighted in 1999. On 3 March 2009, he was appointed to Her Majesty's Privy Council.
Original post by swanseajack1
Patrick Elias was an Exeter Law graduate and his brother who also went there was a Deputy High Court Judge and a leading QC. He was appointed Deputy High Court Judge in January 1999 and four months later, in May 1999, he was named Judge of the High Court, Queen's Bench Division. He was President of the Employment Appeal Tribunal from 2006 to 2009. Mr Justice Elias was knighted in 1999. On 3 March 2009, he was appointed to Her Majesty's Privy Council.

None of which means the OP will either enjoy being at Exeter or have an equally successful Law career.
Original post by McGinger
None of which means the OP will either enjoy being at Exeter or have an equally successful Law career.

Going to any other university doesnt guarantee this either but the evidence is that Exeter law graduates are very successful and your anti Exeter bias wont help anyone.
Exeter without a doubt. it is much more likely you will be recruited as a trainee solicitor if you go to Exeter than Lancaster.

Exeter - brilliant for law
Exeter Law is rubbish as teh quality is poor but personality of teachers is toxic
i literally do not know which one to firm helppp

What sort of uni did you want.What background are you from.I would definitely go and visit as it is very difficult to advise on which will suit you best.Wherecin the country are you.Could you at least visit one?We did not like Exeter at all ,dead town and felt wrong for us but know plenty that love it.Three years somewhere you don't like is a long time so try and get there.If not watch YouTube videos and study course modules.@Ghostlady can you help here.
Have you visited either of them? That’s probably key as many have said on here. The other thing is to look carefully at the course, are there modules you like the look of at both? Do you want to do a dissertation - is it compulsory?

Ultimately go for the one you think you’ll be happy at.
Original post by Scotney
What sort of uni did you want.What background are you from.I would definitely go and visit as it is very difficult to advise on which will suit you best.Wherecin the country are you.Could you at least visit one?We did not like Exeter at all ,dead town and felt wrong for us but know plenty that love it.Three years somewhere you don't like is a long time so try and get there.If not watch YouTube videos and study course modules.@Ghostlady can you help here.

If you are really stuck between the two, and they have different entrance grades, firm the one thats got the higher grade entrance. Then insure the lower one. Scotneys right in saying to watch you tube videos, Ive also dropped the little yellow man on google street view so i can 'wander' round the streets.
For me I love lancaster and the law dept is pretty central on campus which is great. If Lancaster is the lower grade, you may want to choose something else should you want this first choice. Law is very popular course at Lancaster, often one of the first courses going during clearing. Lancaster is also close to the sea via a bus, and the buses from from campus to city every 10 mins and take around 15 between city and uni. Also has 3 clubs and numerous bars, Aldi, Sainsburys, tesco express and other shops.
Reply 15
Original post by Scotney

I'm from a council estate in south London which is what makes me reluctant to go to exeter, I've heard it's very middle-class and I'm afraid I won't fit in
I'm from a council estate in south London which is what makes me reluctant to go to exeter, I've heard it's very middle-class and I'm afraid I won't fit in

My son was from a council estate in Swansea but didnt do law there. There are many students from all backgrounds in all universities. If you do decide to go to Exeter avoid the expensive catered halls as that is where most of the public school students go. Lancaster is very much a working class university and has very few private school students largely because of its northern location. You would be best advised to visit both before deciding. What is right for one person is wrong for another.
Reply 17

I would go for Lancaster but do try and visit although I know time is tight now.
Do you not have an offer from any other unis?

Honestly go Lancaster if you are worried about the people there because it is as bad as people say (worse imo).
Reply 19
Original post by Scotney

Dead town? Compared to where? What does background matter - mnay go there from all sorts of backgrounds. Lancaster is far more 'dead' as a place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending