The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Brunel or Oxford Brookes?

Im stuck on choosing a firm place for sports science sandwich course on UCAS:
Its between Oxford Brookes and Brunel, both are asking for the same grades

On visiting both I found that for the actual course and academic facilities I am favouring Brunel however for the general uni campus, accommodation etc I prefer Brookes.
I have done everything to try and separate the two but I'm still struggling to work out my choice.
I want a good education with the best chances to get involved in research and placement however I also want a nice uni life outside of the course, which for some reason I just didn't quite feel when looking around Brunel

Too help me out can anyone tell me a bit about:
1. The course and quality of education received
2. The general university feel
3. The nightlife
4. The local area
5. The sports clubs, (My main sport is Rugby (League and Union)
6. The placements offered
And any general points good or bad about either

Thanks
Original post by mattslopecki
I want a good education with the best chances to get involved in research and placement however I also want a nice uni life outside of the course, which for some reason I just didn't quite feel when looking around Brunel

1. The course and quality of education received
2. The general university feel
3. The nightlife
4. The local area
5. The sports clubs, (My main sport is Rugby (League and Union)
6. The placements offered
And any general points good or bad about either

1. Can't answer about it myself but I've had several friends who have done Sports Science and they all really enjoyed the course.

2. It's hard to get a feel for somewhere on open days. I've always enjoyed Brunel a lot more than other Universities I've visited friends at.

3. We have a night club and 2 bars on campus. The night club does tend to have different music nights on and their is a club in Uxbridge that everybody goes to on Wednesdays. There are often coach trips to central for freshers and face week (First and last week of term) and it's not too far to go into central for a night out clubbing.

There is a night bus that comes back to Brunel from Oxford street and taxis, though expensive can be around £50/60 so with 5 or 6 of you a tenner each.

4. Uxbridge isn't too bad, I've never had any problems though it seems a little bit full of the elderly and of chavs but it has everything you need, if you want somewhere more upmarket for shopping you can always take a bus to Westfields shopping centre (40 min/hour journey)

5. We have Rugby teams, both League and Union, take a look at this link for more information http://brunelstudents.com/sportsclubs/

I will add that a friend in first year studying Sports Science decided to join the local Rugby team rather than the Uni one (He said he didn't think he was good enough to get much play) and he playing local, so that's always an option too but the Uni should have a few teams.

6. The Uni will usually have a book or online listing of placements offered to placement students but you are also always free to find your own. I am not too sure of what Sport Science placements are like unfortunately.

I've just graduated but I really enjoyed my time at Brunel (so much so I'm applying for a pgce here again), it's a single campus and with so many clubs and societies it can be very social if you chose to put the effort in and join things.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
I think i can help a bit here! I went to Brunel to study Sports Science starting Sept 2014. I left at the end of the first term because it was honestly so boring, the campus has a good feel to it, but i found it really depressing. Yeah the facilities are good, as are the sports teams but i personally did not like the area of uxbridge at all.

Im now going to oxford Brookes this year! Brunel and Brookes were originally my top 2 choices, but when i got the grades for Brunel i couldnt turn it down because of its reputation. I outweighed the uni to my happiness and id suggest that you really think whats mportant to you as i made a huge mistake!!

If you want to chat about things then feel free to inbox me as i could give you some insight to the course if you do choose brunel!
Reply 3
Original post by Jmaguire
1. Can't answer about it myself but I've had several friends who have done Sports Science and they all really enjoyed the course.

2. It's hard to get a feel for somewhere on open days. I've always enjoyed Brunel a lot more than other Universities I've visited friends at.

3. We have a night club and 2 bars on campus. The night club does tend to have different music nights on and their is a club in Uxbridge that everybody goes to on Wednesdays. There are often coach trips to central for freshers and face week (First and last week of term) and it's not too far to go into central for a night out clubbing.

There is a night bus that comes back to Brunel from Oxford street and taxis, though expensive can be around £50/60 so with 5 or 6 of you a tenner each.

4. Uxbridge isn't too bad, I've never had any problems though it seems a little bit full of the elderly and of chavs but it has everything you need, if you want somewhere more upmarket for shopping you can always take a bus to Westfields shopping centre (40 min/hour journey)

5. We have Rugby teams, both League and Union, take a look at this link for more information http://brunelstudents.com/sportsclubs/

I will add that a friend in first year studying Sports Science decided to join the local Rugby team rather than the Uni one (He said he didn't think he was good enough to get much play) and he playing local, so that's always an option too but the Uni should have a few teams.

6. The Uni will usually have a book or online listing of placements offered to placement students but you are also always free to find your own. I am not too sure of what Sport Science placements are like unfortunately.

I've just graduated but I really enjoyed my time at Brunel (so much so I'm applying for a pgce here again), it's a single campus and with so many clubs and societies it can be very social if you chose to put the effort in and join things.

Hi thanks for your detailed reply its helped me out a bit.
One last thing I know it sounds slightly odd but whats it like having such a large number of international students? Do they tend to keep to themselves or do they integrate with everyone else? I just know its quite a large amount of international students that make up the population of students

Cheers,
Matt
Original post by mattslopecki
Hi thanks for your detailed reply its helped me out a bit.
One last thing I know it sounds slightly odd but whats it like having such a large number of international students? Do they tend to keep to themselves or do they integrate with everyone else? I just know its quite a large amount of international students that make up the population of students

Cheers,
Matt

It's a large number but you don't really notice it as much. I've always found that they will mostly group together but then depending on the club or society you'll quite often get a few International students joining and interacting with everyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending