The Student Room Group

Physics: OCR A G482 Electrons, Waves and Photons - 4/06/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Immunology
Is it just me or is G482 easier than G481 lol. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely hate Spectra... I just wanna wish you guys the best of luck for your exams! Hopefully we all do great.

yes I hate unit 1! how are you revising for unit 1?? I really want an A for physics but I feel like it is impossible :frown: purely because of unit 1
Original post by Elhamm
yes I hate unit 1! how are you revising for unit 1?? I really want an A for physics but I feel like it is impossible :frown: purely because of unit 1

Hey dude,

Well, at the start of the year I was really terrible at Unit 1. Was constantly getting below C's and I was really annoyed at myself because I knew it just wasn't good enough. The main thing to understand about G481 is that it's for certain people. Some people instantly get it and some people just need their time. What I recommend for you is to ask your Physics teacher when they're free and just sit down with them and get the things you don't understand sorted out. What you really do need to do in my opinion though is practice, practice and practice some more. Try getting as many test papers done between now and the exam and you'll do absolutely amazing, I promise! However, when you do these test papers make sure you look at where you went wrong and go over that topic over and over again until you feel confident that if a question like that came up again you'd be able to ace it. Most of all is just to relax. I hope to hear from you on results day and found out you got your A. Nothing is impossible...

You've got this buddy! You'll do great. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
yeah i did the june 2014 papers for my AS and got an A in G482 and an E in G481... with my class it was some people understood the mechanics maths and others just didnt
No mechanics in year 13😍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Ive just got this question on a homework on G482 saying it takes 4x10^-4 seconds for an electron to travel a certain distance through phosphorous atoms, but it takes an electromagnetic wave 3x10^-17 seconds. The question asks for an explanation to this and I don't understand at all! please help!
Original post by lucye7
Ive just got this question on a homework on G482 saying it takes 4x10^-4 seconds for an electron to travel a certain distance through phosphorous atoms, but it takes an electromagnetic wave 3x10^-17 seconds. The question asks for an explanation to this and I don't understand at all! please help!

This was in last year's paper:
I think it's about drift velocity. Electrons
move randomly and collide with the lattice however the overall movement of electrons is towards one direction at a low velocity. Therefore since speed is lower for the electrons than the em waves, the time taken to travel is larger (t=d/v)
Is everyone here retaking this module or is anyone doing it for the first time

Just want to kiss you, THANKS! You don't know how many decades I've been searching for that people lool. Even my teachers didn't know where to find it.
Reply 48
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Is everyone here retaking this module or is anyone doing it for the first time

Im doing it first time > feeling really scared, I scored 38/100 on the last mock (which was lasts years paper) and because of other exams I can't start G482 revision till 20th May so I'm ultra scared :mad:
Original post by Arjun24
Im doing it first time > feeling really scared, I scored 38/100 on the last mock (which was lasts years paper) and because of other exams I can't start G482 revision till 20th May so I'm ultra scared :mad:

I'm exactly in the same position as you the only aspect that differs is that I'm scared for both units as physics is my weakest subject!! All im doing for mechanics at the moment is past papers
Reply 50
Original post by Elhamm
I'm exactly in the same position as you the only aspect that differs is that I'm scared for both units as physics is my weakest subject!! All im doing for mechanics at the moment is past papers

hahahaha at the "moment" :tongue:

..... I'm crap at G481 too > especially moments. I really hope this years exams are easy. And yeah same, just past papers for mechanics.
Doing mechanics as an applied for maths makes nearly all calculation questions doable. Since the stuff you do in M1 for resolving, moments, suvat are so much more harder. The explain questions in g481 can stump you though.

what is struggle with is circuit problems. When you have to work out current, p.d at different points of a circuit. Especially when they put e.m.f and internal resistance in there.
Anyone know where I could do lots of circuit problem questions other than past paper ones.? So that I can be proficient in them.
Original post by Arjun24

Original post by Elhamm

If you learn all the definitions that should give you 20 marks.

Another 20 marks from calculations.

A lot of it is understanding, I mean energy levels, potential divider etc. will come up.

I think this is one of the most difficult a level modules out there!
I was doing topic based questions for G481 and in all the questions it was asking about momentum but that is not in our specification is it? Do i still have to learn it now for the exam because we havent covered momentum in class :/ I attached the document below.
The 2014 G482 paper was ridiculous!!! Seriously hope OCR are kind with their question choices this year :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by Heisenberg___
The 2014 G482 paper was ridiculous!!! Seriously hope OCR are kind with their question choices this year :frown:

The mecanics one was too:frown: but it was insanely low grade boundaries too:redface:
Reply 56
Original post by Elhamm
I was doing topic based questions for G481 and in all the questions it was asking about momentum but that is not in our specification is it? Do i still have to learn it now for the exam because we havent covered momentum in class :/ I attached the document below.

I'm pretty sure linear momentum is in G484 :/
But I guess you could always use the idea of momentum in the longer questions in G481, like in those car safety questions
Original post by Heisenberg___

Its gonna be even harder, notice how they aren't doing essay questions anymore its all application questions srs.

Original post by Aph
The mecanics one was too:frown: but it was insanely low grade boundaries too:redface:

Is 85 generally 150 UMS for G482?
Reply 58
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Its gonna be even harder, notice how they aren't doing essay questions anymore its all application questions srs.

Is 85 generally 150 UMS for G482?

Jan 13 was 81
june 13 was 85
june 14 was 75

looks more like 80 to me...
Original post by Aph
Jan 13 was 81
june 13 was 85
june 14 was 75

looks more like 80 to me...

I suppose if aiming for the highest its ever been should suffice. Are you giving this paper?

What do you think is the hardest topic? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending