Reply 20
Mildert has no shared rooms...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Hey!

I applied to Josephine Butler for law and got an offer (34 IB points)..I'm actually thinking of putting it down as my firm..but since i'm an international applicant and i havnt been to Durham (and I won't able to attend the open day most likely)..I have a few questions..if anyone could answer them that would be great..

1) How far is Josephine Butler from the Law Department?

2) What is the social life like in Josephine Butler?

3) What is the accomodation like?

4) How far is Durham from main London (by road/train)? :redface:
Reply 22
1) The law department is a bit far from the college, about half an hours walk. But we have a park and ride which can take you up to the department in 10 minutes.

2)The social life is great! We have the same amount of formals as the other hill colleges even though we're self-catered, and other events like butler unplugged.

3)Accomadation is fantastic - its made up of flats consisting of 6 ensuite rooms with a large kitchen to share. All the rooms and red and the ensuite are really cool pods. There's loads of cupboard space in the kitchens (although a slight lack of space in the bedrooms)and beds are quite comfy. The one major problem is that no one can get signal for their mobile phones inside the buildings, due to the stuff they put in the walls, but if you put your phone next to the window, you get one or two bars.

4)about 3 hours by train and 6-7 hours by road - which isn't too bad if you take a book to read!
Reply 23
Moondust
1) The law department is a bit far from the college, about half an hours walk. But we have a park and ride which can take you up to the department in 10 minutes.

2)The social life is great! We have the same amount of formals as the other hill colleges even though we're self-catered, and other events like butler unplugged.

3)Accomadation is fantastic - its made up of flats consisting of 6 ensuite rooms with a large kitchen to share. All the rooms and red and the ensuite are really cool pods. There's loads of cupboard space in the kitchens (although a slight lack of space in the bedrooms)and beds are quite comfy. The one major problem is that no one can get signal for their mobile phones inside the buildings, due to the stuff they put in the walls, but if you put your phone next to the window, you get one or two bars.

4)about 3 hours by train and 6-7 hours by road - which isn't too bad if you take a book to read!

Thanks a lot!!:smile:
Reply 24
The phone thing seems to depend on network a lot. My vodafone works fine in my room (never tried it in the POD :p:) and the kitchen but the O2 phone I used to have only got any kind of signal when I took it up the Mound (which would be a great location for a mast, don't you think?).
Reply 25
O2 seems to be the worst network for reception in Durham. I always get good signal on my Orange phone.
Reply 26
OK so i was wondering..what do people usually do for entertainment, during the weekends and stuff? And is there anything interesting to do other than going to bars/pubs (because i don't drink). Also, approximately how many hours a day does a typical law student spend on academic related stuff (lectures,etc)?
Reply 27
Well, on weekends I would normally do a bit of work, go into town and do some window shopping then hang out with friends in the evenings. Also I would maybe go to Newcastle and do something there like go to the cinema. Also there are always shows, plays and things to go to and if you do sports the matches are normally on a weekend.
Reply 28
and law students have 6-7 hours of lectures a week, and about 14 seminars each term. There is a lot of reading for law, but the amount of time you spend on varies from person to person.
Reply 29
Moondust
and law students have 6-7 hours of lectures a week, and about 14 seminars each term. There is a lot of reading for law, but the amount of time you spend on varies from person to person.

hehe, I think I can attest to the fact that it really is up to you. my attendance so far has consisted of two out of about twenty two lectures so far this term. It's nothing to be proud of, but you genuinly can just learn by yourself, although I wouldnt recommend it.
Reply 30
I would feel a bit ripped off doing a subject where I have to do all the thinking myself. What are we paying our tuition fees for? That's the good thing with modern languages, you just turn up & get yelled at for a few hours by a native speaker of the language in question, and voila, it's in your brain.

You can go in bars/pubs & not drink alcohol. Or join a healthy & wholesome society? But in a lot of cases it leads back to the pub. Think it's true of being a student anywhere. :smile:
Reply 31
Once we get Howlands events kicked off, which should hopefully be by the beginning of the next academic year, we truly will be in a unique position at Butler where we offer a diverse range of cultural events to, not only our own students, but all students across the university. The only problem at present is a lack of manpower and dedication of resources in other areas, something which will hopefully be resolved in time for next years freshers.
Reply 32
6+6=6
hehe, I think I can attest to the fact that it really is up to you. my attendance so far has consisted of two out of about twenty two lectures so far this term. It's nothing to be proud of, but you genuinly can just learn by yourself, although I wouldnt recommend it.

at least you turned up today for EU constitutional lol :p:
Reply 33
Moondust
at least you turned up today for EU constitutional lol :p:

Yes, a fresh start.
Reply 34
6+6, I fear you will never break the record of our own dear goldenbarnes in terms of nonattendance...
Reply 35
arkbar
6+6, I fear you will never break the record of our own dear goldenbarnes in terms of nonattendance...

I hope I don't.
Reply 36
Lol, the channel 4 exam experiment...:rofl:
Reply 37
I think you'd have to stop going to lectures until some time next year in order so to do.
Reply 38
arkbar
I think you'd have to stop going to lectures until some time next year in order so to do.

but thats a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing.....

Latest