The Student Room Group

Mature Student Medicine Entry HELP .. ?

Hey peeps I need advice

Basically Im a Mature Student, wanting to apply for Medicine 2016 - I don't have GCSE's but planning on taking Science English Maths this September at college. And I'm thinking of taking the UKCAT as a practise to prepare me for next year.

Ive rang handful of universities all want GCSE's at least and UKCAT, A-Levels some aren't fussed over - Some accept Access Courses etc

HELP - Am i doing the right thing to do 3 GCSE's starting September and a practice UKCAT and also some voluntary work at Hospital/Nursing Home - What else can I do do better my chanties academically etc any advice ????

Scroll to see replies

They like to see you have a range of interests so maybe do a language or music gcse or get a music qualification if you sing or play any instruments?

I think it's a good idea to do a practice UKCAT, it came as an extreme shock to me when I did it and I only just got a good enough score to apply.

Keep up to date with science and health in the news, use websites like new scientist and BBC health and any others you stumble across. You can then mention any areas you're interested in in your personal statement/interview and show that you're dedicated to the profession.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Hey peeps I need advice

Basically Im a Mature Student, wanting to apply for Medicine 2016 - I don't have GCSE's but planning on taking Science English Maths this September at college. And I'm thinking of taking the UKCAT as a practise to prepare me for next year.

Ive rang handful of universities all want GCSE's at least and UKCAT, A-Levels some aren't fussed over - Some accept Access Courses etc

HELP - Am i doing the right thing to do 3 GCSE's starting September and a practice UKCAT and also some voluntary work at Hospital/Nursing Home - What else can I do do better my chanties academically etc any advice ????

Did you check three GCSEs would be enough?
Original post by ForestCat
Did you check three GCSEs would be enough?

With Durham they said a couple of GCSEs I could do but everywhere else it was 5-6 I can do 3 at college but would need to do the other distance maybe ? What do you think ?
Original post by morgan006
They like to see you have a range of interests so maybe do a language or music gcse or get a music qualification if you sing or play any instruments?

I think it's a good idea to do a practice UKCAT, it came as an extreme shock to me when I did it and I only just got a good enough score to apply.

Keep up to date with science and health in the news, use websites like new scientist and BBC health and any others you stumble across. You can then mention any areas you're interested in in your personal statement/interview and show that you're dedicated to the profession.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou I'm following a good few science nhs related on Twitter so that's one resource im getting latest info out of . Just not sure whether I should do more then 3 GCSEs ?
With Durham they said a couple of GCSEs I could do but everywhere else it was 5-6 I can do 3 at college but would need to do the other distance maybe ? What do you think ?

Thankyou I'm following a good few science nhs related on Twitter so that's one resource im getting latest info out of . Just not sure whether I should do more then 3 GCSEs ?

If most places say you need 5 to 6 then you need to do more. Otherwise you'd only be able to apply to Durham, which is very risky.
Speak to college and see if you can self teach some more subjects but sit coursework/exams there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do as many gcses as you can as other applicants could have 10 As at gsce or A*s and there will be a lot of competition. Obviously don't do so many that you don't get good grades but it's worth the hard work if you can do more than three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do as many gcses as you can as other applicants could have 10 As at gsce or A*s and there will be a lot of competition. Obviously don't do so many that you don't get good grades but it's worth the hard work if you can do more than three.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'm looking online but keep coming across IGCSE not sure how it works or if it will count towards Medicine
Thanks I'm looking online but keep coming across IGCSE not sure how it works or if it will count towards Medicine

IGCSE is just a slightly different version of gcse as in the exams and coursework might be different styles but it all counts the same, I did a mixture of gcses and igcses and got a place for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
IGCSE is just a slightly different version of gcse as in the exams and coursework might be different styles but it all counts the same, I did a mixture of gcses and igcses and got a place for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, Well I'm thinking of doing RE and Geography through IGCSE as they are subjects Im interested in. Are the exams harder so I've heard but then they say if its Maths etc IGCSE can be more demanding
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

True of the majority of applicants but mature students have far fewer, though the grades achieved are much the same; A/A*
Original post by Zorg
True of the majority of applicants but mature students have far fewer, though the grades achieved are much the same; A/A*

Would you advise to do just 3?
Reply 12
Would you advise to do just 3?

No, 5 or 6 sounds better
Hey peeps I need advice

Is it only GCSE's that you don't have? You can separate your science GCSEs and do single biology, chemistry and physics GCSE's
Reply 14
Hey peeps I need advice

Hey mate of you want to do medicine in 2016 it wouldn't be a practice UKcat this year it would be your scoring one as you need your UKcat before you apply(applications to medicine 2016 close in October 2015)
Hi there i have a friend who had to do what you are doing she did 5 GCSEs and she got there. How old are you if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by angelseyes
Hi there i have a friend who had to do what you are doing she did 5 GCSEs and she got there. How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

Hey I'm 29 a fossil I know ... So did your friend get into medicine then ? :smile:
Original post by PETE3546
Hey mate of you want to do medicine in 2016 it wouldn't be a practice UKcat this year it would be your scoring one as you need your UKcat before you apply(applications to medicine 2016 close in October 2015)

Hi think I got confused when I rang durham for some reason he said it could be a practice . And then I can apply between October 15 to January 16 is that right
Original post by Absorbaloff
Is it only GCSE's that you don't have? You can separate your science GCSEs and do single biology, chemistry and physics GCSE's

Hey I've enrolled to do the Science as I'm working I won't be able to attend several college classes so I'm thinking of taking english maths science re and geography
Hi think I got confused when I rang durham for some reason he said it could be a practice . And then I can apply between October 15 to January 16 is that right

That would be for entry in to the term beginning September 2016. Will you have done your GCSEs/access course by then.

You can sit it this year as a practice if you wish. The score won't count for anything if you don't apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending