The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
yeah, i'll hopefully get the two marks because i got the area of the trapezium (54?) and took away "my" 108/5 so hopefully i've only lost the one mark for the final answer
fingers crossed! i hope examiners take care with their marking and actually look at method marks - i'm relying on them so much to get 68/75!!

Messed it up like you. I done 54 - 22 = 32

How many marks do you think we'll drop considering part a) was 5 marks and part b) to find the actual shaded area was 3 marks?
image.jpg

this was what it said in the june 2014 mark scheme which led me to believe that i could s scavenge a mark out of that last question - but i've only seen this disclaimer come up in last year's paper and never before - do you think it applies with this question too?

this question seems to apply that you factorised correctly but then got the CVs wrong - i couldn't factorise it in the first place. do you think it could still apply to me? :frown:

I did the same as you I think! It's annoying because I know exactly how to do inequalities but I'm terrible at factorising. I couldn't factorise it so I used the quadratic formula and got ridiculous numbers. I knew they were wrong but I still carried on with the question in hopes I'd get marks for the graph with the values I got.
Original post by SeanHarvey
Messed it up like you. I done 54 - 22 = 32

How many marks do you think we'll drop considering part a) was 5 marks and part b) to find the actual shaded area was 3 marks?

i personally probably dropped 2 from the first part and 1 from the second

Thanks mate but FOR **** SAKE... I stopped inputting values at +2 thinking that it'd just carry on downwards arghhhhhhh.
The highest mark needed for an A is always 60=80%. After reading a lot of comments, the A boundary could go as low as 55. In my core 4 mock, the A mark was 55 and I got 63 which was "technically" an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Signorina
I did the same as you I think! It's annoying because I know exactly how to do inequalities but I'm terrible at factorising. I couldn't factorise it so I used the quadratic formula and got ridiculous numbers. I knew they were wrong but I still carried on with the question in hopes I'd get marks for the graph with the values I got.

fingers crossed that we'll get one mark!! i can't believe i got the cylinder question correct yet couldn't factorise a simple quadratic!!! i am so ashamed of myself :frown:
Reply 786
Original post by FS492
To be honest the exam was really easy and it wasn't 'the hardest of all time' ... coming from someone who was resetting I can honestly say that this exam was a breeze with just a less common question (cylinder) included. The grade boundaries should be high 62/63 = 80Ums... Last years paper was easy too but I messed up because I never revised (last year). The exams may seem harder because they no longer spoon feed us by saying "find this ..." instead people have to use their brains to work out what is needed and then how to do it. If you haven't done well there is no harm in resetting in Y13 its a doodle now :smile:

tbh i dont see this years paper grade boudnaries being same as june 2014 which was 62 for a A which was much easier then this years paper... grade boundariess should go down due to cyclinder question and to a somewhat extent surd question
Original post by jakecre8
The highest mark needed for an A is always 60=80%. After reading a lot of comments, the A boundary could go as low as 55. In my core 4 mock, the A mark was 55 and I got 63 which was "technically" an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not true mate. It's very often higher than 60, check the AQA website
Cylinder question cost me a grade. **** sake.
fingers crossed that we'll get one mark!! i can't believe i got the cylinder question correct yet couldn't factorise a simple quadratic!!! i am so ashamed of myself :frown:

Yeah hopefully! I spent the final 20 minutes of the exam trying to factorise it. I'm so annoyed because the reason I couldn't factorise it was because I thought 3x4=16. :mad: how stupid. very ashamed because a year 9 probably could have managed to factorise it.
The two issues I had was not specifically stating that n=7 (on the chord question) and not simplifying h in terms of r, (I still got it right but it wasn't the simplified version) do you think I lost both marks?
Original post by Heffalump .
The two issues I had was not specifically stating that n=7 (on the chord question) and not simplifying h in terms of r, (I still got it right but it wasn't the simplified version) do you think I lost both marks?

you didn't have to state n=7 on the chord question anyway, right? you only had to state it for the surd question, which was also 7

and i don't know if you'd lose any marks for not simplifying - it was only worth 3 marks. i think one would be to find an expression for the surface area, another to put h to one side and the final one perhaps to simplify? but it could also have been to just state something, idk
Completely different to every other past paper.
Reply 793
Okay so on the cylinder question, I had no idea. But when I differentiated it I took of the Pi and r (I know stupid) but I still go to the stationary point to be 4 and that it was a maximum point. Do you guys think I could get at least on mark? 😂

I forgot you had to 2 by 2 to get one. 50-1=49 blah blah I did 50-4= 46
Silly mistakes :frown:
anyone think an A could be higher than 60, or is the general consensus 58-60 for an A?
you didn't have to state n=7 on the chord question anyway, right? you only had to state it for the surd question, which was also 7

and i don't know if you'd lose any marks for not simplifying - it was only worth 3 marks. i think one would be to find an expression for the surface area, another to put h to one side and the final one perhaps to simplify? but it could also have been to just state something, idk

Oh yeah, it must have been the surd question I didn't do it for then.. >:frown:
yeah I probably lost a mark for not simplifying.. ah well, only two marks I guess... still so annoying losing marks over such minor things >:O
Reply 796
Original post by Signorina

this might be too late but useful in future. to factorise a large quadratic as such as the one belowthis is what u should

7k 2 - 48k + 80

7x80=560

so now start with 7 and 80
double 7 and half 80
14 and 40
repeat
28 and 20
derefore -28 and -20 are ur factors... then u should do rest easily
all ur doing is halfing and doubling if u still cant find factor then start with 1 and 560 but it wont work in this case, i used this method for todays exam found the factors quickly i think deres also a youtube vid about it
Original post by Heffalump .
Oh yeah, it must have been the surd question I didn't do it for then.. >:frown:
yeah I probably lost a mark for not simplifying.. ah well, only two marks I guess... still so annoying losing marks over such minor things >:O

i mean, it could have been one mark for just writing 2pir + pir^2 is the total surface area, then one mark for equating it to 48pi, then the last for rearranging? idk
Reply 798
can someone confirm that d2y/dx^2
was 24-3pir if yes how does this get -12pi?
if no can u go through the process
r=4 thanks
Original post by r-star
this might be too late but useful in future. to factorise a large quadratic as such as the one belowthis is what u should

7k 2 - 48k + 80

7x80=560

so now start with 7 and 80
double 7 and half 80
14 and 40
repeat
28 and 20
derefore -28 and -20 are ur factors... then u should do rest easily
all ur doing is halfing and doubling if u still cant find factor then start with 1 and 560 but it wont work in this case, i used this method for todays exam found the factors quickly i think deres also a youtube vid about it

Oh that sounds much quicker! I normally already use the method of multiplying coeff w last term but I do struggle trying to find factors quickly without a calculator. If i was in the exam i would have started with 1 and 560 and worked my way up from there... i'd have taken sooo long to found the answer lol. but your method seems good and much quicker!! thanks for the tip ill remember it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending