The Student Room Group

Ba Hons business and management

What is business like at degree level compared at a level business?
Is the course intense and require a lot of extra study?
What universities offer business with around 300 Ucas points?
Thank you.
Reply 1
From what I have heard from friends, doing Business at A-level it is helpful for first year at uni. You will probably end up going over similar topics you have covered before in the first year. (But this tends to happen for most courses, to bring everyone to the same level). I did business first year having not done at A-level and it wasnt too full on.

Have you looked at any unis at all yet?
Reply 2
Original post by Ross63
From what I have heard from friends, doing Business at A-level it is helpful for first year at uni. You will probably end up going over similar topics you have covered before in the first year. (But this tends to happen for most courses, to bring everyone to the same level). I did business first year having not done at A-level and it wasnt too full on.

Have you looked at any unis at all yet?

I have briefly looked at a few unis online such as Westminster, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield Hallam. Do you know of any good unis for business?
Reply 3
There a several universities with renowned business degrees. Have a look at this discussion- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2957117&page=7

It will be full of people who are applying and researching universities for different business courses, see what they have said.
Try and have a look at the most recent Times/Guardian list for top Business courses. I am at Edinburgh and the business school there is good, but not sure about others i'm afraid.
hope this helps? :smile:
Are you looking to go to any particular area of the country or more focused on a good course?
Reply 4
Original post by Ross63
There a several universities with renowned business degrees. Have a look at this discussion- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2957117&page=7

It will be full of people who are applying and researching universities for different business courses, see what they have said.
Try and have a look at the most recent Times/Guardian list for top Business courses. I am at Edinburgh and the business school there is good, but not sure about others i'm afraid.
hope this helps? :smile:
Are you looking to go to any particular area of the country or more focused on a good course?

Thank you, I will have a look at this. I'm more focused on the course than the area but would like to move away the south for sure. 😀
Reply 5
Original post by Princessh
Thank you, I will have a look at this. I'm more focused on the course than the area but would like to move away the south for sure. 😀

I was exactly the same, the course is most important! And I wanted to go north too, have a look at Leeds, Northumbria and Manchester- all good unis and great places to study.

Are you at AS level?
Reply 6
Original post by Ross63
I was exactly the same, the course is most important! And I wanted to go north too, have a look at Leeds, Northumbria and Manchester- all good unis and great places to study.

Are you at AS level?

Will do thanks. Yes I am currently doing my AS exams.
You'll be brought up to the required level fairly gently... Courses are designed to 'break you in' and climb the ladder progressively remember.

A level seemed fairly easy in terms of outlining what a stakeholder etc was (yawn), I know it goes a little bit deeper than that, but that's the overall fundamentals. At degree level those basics are assumed in first year for the content you'll be studying. At least that was the case in my uni.

It's like all things though, you don't really realize you're learning anything new until you look back over old work!
Reply 8
Original post by Princessh
What is business like at degree level compared at a level business?
Is the course intense and require a lot of extra study?
What universities offer business with around 300 Ucas points?
Thank you.

Hi there! I would say the difference in workload will most certainly come down to who you study with. I myself am at Pearson College London, a relatively new establishment but an incredibly place to be. I'm studying Business Management with Finance (2nd year now) and have learned a great deal being part o this very entrepreneurial, heavily industry focused place. It's the only establishment as part of a FTSE-100 company, meaning your fully immersed in business at all times. Studying at the HQ of Pearson PLC, 80 Strand is a remarkable place to walk up. As you may see in my previous posts, i'm very passionate about PCL because I have enjoyed my time here so very much. Industry days with large organisations such as Loreal, British American Tobacco, Unilever, have been very eye opening. Granted, this place does work you hard and the contact times are probably far greater than most. But it's worth it, especially for the contacts! Here's the link to the website: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac.uk

Entry to PCL is done on UCAS points, but also a competency test (critical reasoning and logic etc).

On PCL's recommendation, i'm happily living at Tufnell Park Halls of Residence (Prodigy Living). Its a very comfortable halls with all rooms having their own en-suite showers, situated in a lovely part of London. It's about 30 - 40 mins away from PCL so pretty easy on the tube, quick bus ride to Kentish Town and you're away.

I hope this helps, I wish you all the best of luck in your Uni searching :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending