The Student Room Group

A Level Further Maths

I'm in Year 10 and currently getting A's and my target for Year 11 is an A however my maths teacher thinks I could get an A*. If I got an A, would I be ok doing Further Maths at A Level or should I go for the A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Himani Vadhia
I'm in Year 10 and currently getting A's and my target for Year 11 is an A however my maths teacher thinks I could get an A*. If I got an A, would I be ok doing Further Maths at A Level or should I go for the A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't really matter. The A-levels aren't closely related to the GCSEs.
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're putting a lot of effort in and getting an A instead of an A* then further maths may not be right for you.

A further maths student should really be able to put the effort in to get an A* at GCSE.

But that doesn't mean a student who doesn't get an A* at GCSE will do badly in FM - it all depends. Your teacher knows your ability and should be able to advise you better than anyone on here.

If you're getting As in year 10 then you should definitely be aiming for an A* in year 11, regardless of further maths.
Would I find it hard if I got an A at GCSE and started AS further maths. Some colleges require an A* at GCSE but others are fine with an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks btw I'm talking about doing further maths in AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm willing to put the effort in and get A* in year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would I find it hard if I got an A at GCSE and started AS further maths. Some colleges require an A* at GCSE but others are fine with an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Obviously aim for an A* if you can, but if you don't get it then it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
It doesn't matter what grade you get. Further maths differs from GCSE, as long as you're an able mathematician and you have an interest in maths you will do good.
Ok it's just because some colleges want A*s for further maths but others are ok with A's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest