The Student Room Group

Do I need Further Maths for Cambridge Natural Sciences (physics route)?

Hi, I was dead set on applying to Cambridge for Natural Sciences with Maths, Chemistry & Physics A levels (I expect to get 3 A*s) but my teacher just told me that I would need Further Maths. I suppose it's pretty obvious you have to be brilliant at Maths to get into Cambridge for Physics right?! Just depressing that I need that although it doesn't mention further maths on their website.
Any confirmation of this anyone please?
Original post by kipperdoodle
Hi, I was dead set on applying to Cambridge for Natural Sciences with Maths, Chemistry & Physics A levels (I expect to get 3 A*s) but my teacher just told me that I would need Further Maths. I suppose it's pretty obvious you have to be brilliant at Maths to get into Cambridge for Physics right?! Just depressing that I need that although it doesn't mention further maths on their website.

If your school doesn't offer Further Maths then they will consider it but if they do then its really unlikely.
Reply 2
Thank you, it makes sense.
Original post by blabla2020202
If your school doesn't offer Further Maths then they will consider it but if they do then its really unlikely.
Reply 3
Original post by kipperdoodle

I mean i would say there is a fair chance of you getting in because on the website it says the sucsessful applicants USUALLY have:

A Level Chemistry, A Level Mathematics and A Level Physics
A Level Physics, A Level Mathematics and A Level Further Mathematics
A Level Biology, A Level Chemistry and A Level Mathematics

And you have the first combo so read through this if you haven't already https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences
clearly they've said that these combinations are successful usually so the first one you clearly have and are achieving high grades above the requirements so hope this helps.
Reply 4

Every school in England can offer F Maths ...
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Every school in England can offer F Maths ...

not every school can offer A level further maths, because they may not have enough students to complete the course, every school is different
Reply 6
Original post by mk.mr01
not every school can offer A level further maths, because they may not have enough students to complete the course, every school is different

Wrong - AMSP can support a cohort of one and does. If your school is telling you 'we can't offer FMaths' they are lying.

https://amsp.org.uk/teachers/a-level-further-mathematics/strategies-for-offering-further-mathematics/
Wrong - AMSP can support a cohort of one and does. If your school is telling you 'we can't offer FMaths' they are lying.

https://amsp.org.uk/teachers/a-level-further-mathematics/strategies-for-offering-further-mathematics/

Uh what?? "Can" is not enough. They need a teacher (at least 2 imo) who can teach Further maths and stats / mech / decision etc. Our school offers further maths but only stats and mech along with the mandatory pure of course.
Reply 9
Uh what?? "Can" is not enough. They need a teacher (at least 2 imo) who can teach Further maths and stats / mech / decision etc. Our school offers further maths but only stats and mech along with the mandatory pure of course.

No AMSP provide the tuition so no teacher is needed. Please read the link ...

Why don't you have a choice - decision used to be part of A level Maths so someone should be able to teach it.
No AMSP provide the tuition so no teacher is needed. Please read the link ...

Why don't you have a choice - decision used to be part of A level Maths so someone should be able to teach it.

i've just read the link - as a further maths student who is capable of reaching a decent grade without a teacher, getting a grade good enough for cambridge without a teacher is next to impossible. you need to be in classes, and my school is particularly small so there are three people in my class. in the year below me, there are two. if there is only one student the school cannot finance the expense and so cannot run a course, regardless of if they have the teachers.
it might work for you, but if they need further maths they're going to have to self teach on top of three a levels - a nearly impossible task even if you have the tuition. it does depend on the courses they're taking, but i personally would not manage it well even though i have self taught the majority of my AS levels because of illness.
at my school there were two further maths teachers and one of them has now left, meaning we can only do the core pure and mechanics - we started another module with the other teacher and now have to learn the rest of it alone.
as @blabla2020202 mentioned, you need a teacher and its very very difficult to attain a good grade without at least one teacher who can teach all the modules.
Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
i've just read the link - as a further maths student who is capable of reaching a decent grade without a teacher, getting a grade good enough for cambridge without a teacher is next to impossible. you need to be in classes, and my school is particularly small so there are three people in my class. in the year below me, there are two. if there is only one student the school cannot finance the expense and so cannot run a course, regardless of if they have the teachers.
it might work for you, but if they need further maths they're going to have to self teach on top of three a levels - a nearly impossible task even if you have the tuition. it does depend on the courses they're taking, but i personally would not manage it well even though i have self taught the majority of my AS levels because of illness.
at my school there were two further maths teachers and one of them has now left, meaning we can only do the core pure and mechanics - we started another module with the other teacher and now have to learn the rest of it alone.
as @blabla2020202 mentioned, you need a teacher and its very very difficult to attain a good grade without at least one teacher who can teach all the modules.

You do get a teacher through AMSP - did you read the link throughly? AMSP provide tuition - an online teacher - so anyone in England can be taught Further Maths. No self-teaching is required -

Your parents should be complaining to Govenors if the school is not teaching you and is not willing to get support from AMPS. Please show the information to your school.
You can apply to cambridge Natsci without further maths, although physics would prefer it. The thing to look out for is some colleges will require further maths for phys natsci, so check your college's requirements when choosing who to apply to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending