The Student Room Group

Newtonian World 11/6/2015 Unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

I'm predicting G485 will be hardest paper yet. They've done the same in Chem and Bio this year......
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamesbird18
I'm predicting G485 will be hardest paper yet. They've done the same in Chem and Bio this year......

yeah it probably will be the bastards f******* us over.
Original post by Dr who11
yeah it probably will be the bastards f******* us over.

The reason i think is because the spec is ending soon, therefore we technically have an advantage because we have more past papers and mark schemes and examiners reports to look through, therefore in order to keep the difficulty higher must make exam papers harder so its 'fair'.
Reply 83
Thanks for the mark scheme, very helpful
Came out of the exam thinking it was awful BUT just counted up and think I've got 50/51!! yeeeeeeeeey
Reply 84
Original post by JackNorman
Yeah I'm pretty sure it did, and that's how I solved it too. I actually really liked that question, even though in the exam I thought I'd messed up somewhere because it was a small value. Exactly the ame for the titanium and laser question

Everyone complains, but it was a great paper imo. Not that I did very well on it. They got rid of the questions with mark schemes that change every year and the memorisation bull ****, it was actually about understanding physics this year.

But I genuinely feel sorry for the competent A Level physicists who would be able to solve all those problems were it not under the stress of exam conditions. You feel guilty for every second you spend thinking about how to answer a question when you've got such little time.
Original post by jamesbird18

Huh? So If I fail this year, can I resit?
Reply 86
Original post by neverseenanalien
I haven't been working on G485, I sacrificed G485 for G484, and at the and i don't think I got an A or a B, this is so unfair, no brownian motion, no experiments, I learn all of them, if there were questions about kinetic theory, brownian motion, or specific heat capacity, I'd have got an A easily, why are they doin this, only people with a few exams can spend time and get A*, I had so many exams....i'm pissed

I had ten exams, all physics modules and maths modules. And I've got between 48-52. 😉
Reply 87
Original post by teachercol
G484 Newtonian World 11/6/15 Unofficial mark scheme

Usual disclaimer: these are just my answers and are in no sense official. I don't mark this paper and I have no access to the mark schemes.
The answers may contain errors and typos. other correct answers may also be possible.

First impression: pretty straight down the middle paper. Heavy on maths and not much heat and gas stuff compared to some papers.

Q1 a) i) nice to see this - its something I spend quite a while teaching
cant be 3rd law pairs because
act on same object
different kinds of force
don't have to be equal if object is accelerating (2)
ii) W = grav force of moon on object down
so 3rd law pair is
grav force of object on moon up
magnitude =W and it acts at centre of moon (1)
b) standard proof in M2
resolve into horiz (u cos theta) and vert (u sin theta) components
calc time of flight as 2 time to reach highest point
v=u+at so 0 = u sintheta - gt
so time of flight = u sin theta /g
so range = time of flight x horiz component which is x = 2u^2 sin theta x cos theta / g
which is prop to v^2 (3)
Could do this by proportionalities all way rather then algebra Total (6)

Q2 a) i) m = mass of 1 mole / no of ions in a mole = 0.131/6.0E23 = 2.18E-25 kg (1)
ii) Force on ions = rate of change of momentum of ions
= no per sec x change in momentum of 1 ion
= 2.18E-25 x 3.2E4 x 9.5E18 = 0.066 N
Force on spacecraft = force on ions
acc = force / mass = 0.066 / 5.2E4 = 1.27E-5 ms-2 (3)
iii) Seems to me you need both Newton 2 and newton 3 so either will do.
N2 : force - rate of change of momentum etc (1)
iv) Mass decreasing as fuel ejected
a = F/m so acceleration increase (3 - really? 3 marks for that??)
b) i) Area under graph = impulse = change in momentum
Triangles + rectangles -> 11.1 (did you spot ms on x axis?)
Change in vel = impulse / mass = 11.1 / 180 (did you use the right mass?) = 0.062 ms-1 (4)
ii) Acc - increase uniformly for first 3ms, then increases non uniformly until reaches a max at 6.5 ms
then decreases no uniformly until 10ms (2)
Total (14)

Q3 a) i) straight line through origin with a negative gradient \ (2)
ii) grad = (2 pi f )^2 so f = sqr(gradient) / 2 pi (2)
b) i) vmax = 2 pi f A = 0.09 ms-1
so A = 0.09 /( 2 pi x 8) = .179E-3m (2)
ii) amax = (2 pi f )^2 A or vmax x 2 pi f = 4.52 ms-2 (2)
c) same period; amplitude decreases exponentially (2)
d) resonance curve.
max amplitude when driving freq = natural frequency at 8 Hz
small amplitude away from peak (3)
Total (13)

Q4 a) grav force between 2 masses = grav constant x mass1 x mass2 / separation squared (1)
b) standard proof which I make my lot learn and write out lots!
F = ma
GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r
so v^2 = GM/r v = 2 pi r / T
4 pi^2 r^2 = GM/r
rearrange
GM T^2 = 4 pi^2 r^3 so T^2 is prop to r^3 (4)
c) i) straight line through origin so T^2 is prop to r^3 (1)
ii) r^3 = (GM/4 pi^2) x T^2 so grad = GM / 4 pi^2
so M = 4 pi^2 x Grad / G = 1.97E30 kg (ie same as our sun!) (3)
Total (9)

Q5 a) E = hf = hc / lambda = 6.6E-34 x 3.0E8/1.1E-6 = 1.8E-19J (1)
b) P = 6.3E19 x 1.8E-19 = 11.34W
W=Pt so t = W/P m = rho x V and W = mcdT
so t = 8.1E-12 x 4.5E3 x 520 x (1700-20) / 11.34 = 2.8E-3s (wow seems a bit quick but numbers are right) (3)
c) some heat will conduct through titanium into rest of metal / some heat lost to surroundings (by convection and radiation)
(not sure about second bit - I dont think heat loss will happen in ms) (2)
d) temp will be constant while melting (1)
Total (7)

Q6 a) Volume is zero at absolute zero - draw line on graph (2)
b) i) internal energy = sum of random distribution of kinetic and potential energies for all the molecules in the system (1)
ii) Need to put energy to convert liquid to a gas so gas has
more potential energy since intermolecular forces are less
more kinetic energy if temp is higher (2)
c) i) PV=nRT so P = 45 / 8.31 x (273+20) / 1.2E-2 = 9.13E6 Pa (2)
ii) no of moles in cylinder = PV/RT = 41.1 moles.
Total no of moles stays same = 45+41.1 = 86.1
Use total volume n=PV/RT 86 = P x (1.2E-2 +2.0E-3) / 8.31 x 293
so P = 1.5E7 Pa (3)
Tricky but we've seen this before.
iii) If n and V are constant, P is prop to T
so if T decreases (293 -> 277) P decreases (1)
Total (11)

Not too bad.
Last year looked Ok but the Mark scheme was very picky. This paper is more clear cut. Expecting very tight grade boundaries...

A 43
B 40
C 37
D 34
E 31

Good Luck
Col

43 for an A? Are you ****ing kidding me? That was a horrendous paper.
Original post by F1995
43 for an A? Are you ****ing kidding me? That was a horrendous paper.

it will not be more than 40 for an A. 43 is too high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Everyone complains, but it was a great paper imo. Not that I did very well on it. They got rid of the questions with mark schemes that change every year and the memorisation bull ****, it was actually about understanding physics this year.

But I genuinely feel sorry for the competent A Level physicists who would be able to solve all those problems were it not under the stress of exam conditions. You feel guilty for every second you spend thinking about how to answer a question when you've got such little time.

I was seconds from getting the gas calculation at the end. I reckon with a bit more time I could've gotten the u ² proportional to s question. The resonance one I didn't even think about 😂 and the first question I would never have gotten. Couldn't figure out what shapes in the picture were part of the equipment or anything haha. Loved everything else though. Hoping for really low boundaries. I thought it was a good paper but a lot of people are complaining, and as you said there was less memorisation questions. Reckon I got high 40s to 50 in this, if the grade boundaries are what they were last year or even lower, which I doubt, I may have a chance 😁
For the second reason on the mark scheme for the titanium... could it be that there wasn't a 100% conversion of the photon energy
For the titanium taking longer to heat up, I said that it takes time for the heat to dissipate through the metal, so some bits are hotter than others.
Reply 92
for question 2 iv) i wrote particles have forward velocity so after forced out thruster greater change in momentum thus bigger forward force meaning higher acceleration

would that get marks or is it straight up wrong.
Original post by teachercol
G484 Newtonian World 11/6/15 Unofficial mark scheme

Usual disclaimer: these are just my answers and are in no sense official. I don't mark this paper and I have no access to the mark schemes.
The answers may contain errors and typos. other correct answers may also be possible.

First impression: pretty straight down the middle paper. Heavy on maths and not much heat and gas stuff compared to some papers.

Q1 a) i) nice to see this - its something I spend quite a while teaching
cant be 3rd law pairs because
act on same object
different kinds of force
don't have to be equal if object is accelerating (2)
ii) W = grav force of moon on object down
so 3rd law pair is
grav force of object on moon up
magnitude =W and it acts at centre of moon (1)
b) standard proof in M2
resolve into horiz (u cos theta) and vert (u sin theta) components
calc time of flight as 2 time to reach highest point
v=u+at so 0 = u sintheta - gt
so time of flight = u sin theta /g
so range = time of flight x horiz component which is x = 2u^2 sin theta x cos theta / g
which is prop to v^2 (3)
Could do this by proportionalities all way rather then algebra Total (6)

Q2 a) i) m = mass of 1 mole / no of ions in a mole = 0.131/6.0E23 = 2.18E-25 kg (1)
ii) Force on ions = rate of change of momentum of ions
= no per sec x change in momentum of 1 ion
= 2.18E-25 x 3.2E4 x 9.5E18 = 0.066 N
Force on spacecraft = force on ions
acc = force / mass = 0.066 / 5.2E4 = 1.27E-5 ms-2 (3)
iii) Seems to me you need both Newton 2 and newton 3 so either will do.
N2 : force - rate of change of momentum etc (1)
iv) Mass decreasing as fuel ejected
a = F/m so acceleration increase (3 - really? 3 marks for that??)
b) i) Area under graph = impulse = change in momentum
Triangles + rectangles -> 11.1 (did you spot ms on x axis?)
Change in vel = impulse / mass = 11.1 / 180 (did you use the right mass?) = 0.062 ms-1 (4)
ii) Acc - increase uniformly for first 3ms, then increases non uniformly until reaches a max at 6.5 ms
then decreases no uniformly until 10ms (2)
Total (14)

Q3 a) i) straight line through origin with a negative gradient \ (2)
ii) grad = (2 pi f )^2 so f = sqr(gradient) / 2 pi (2)
b) i) vmax = 2 pi f A = 0.09 ms-1
so A = 0.09 /( 2 pi x 8) = .179E-3m (2)
ii) amax = (2 pi f )^2 A or vmax x 2 pi f = 4.52 ms-2 (2)
c) same period; amplitude decreases exponentially (2)
d) resonance curve.
max amplitude when driving freq = natural frequency at 8 Hz
small amplitude away from peak (3)
Total (13)

Q4 a) grav force between 2 masses = grav constant x mass1 x mass2 / separation squared (1)
b) standard proof which I make my lot learn and write out lots!
F = ma
GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r
so v^2 = GM/r v = 2 pi r / T
4 pi^2 r^2 = GM/r
rearrange
GM T^2 = 4 pi^2 r^3 so T^2 is prop to r^3 (4)
c) i) straight line through origin so T^2 is prop to r^3 (1)
ii) r^3 = (GM/4 pi^2) x T^2 so grad = GM / 4 pi^2
so M = 4 pi^2 x Grad / G = 1.97E30 kg (ie same as our sun!) (3)
Total (9)

Q5 a) E = hf = hc / lambda = 6.6E-34 x 3.0E8/1.1E-6 = 1.8E-19J (1)
b) P = 6.3E19 x 1.8E-19 = 11.34W
W=Pt so t = W/P m = rho x V and W = mcdT
so t = 8.1E-12 x 4.5E3 x 520 x (1700-20) / 11.34 = 2.8E-3s (wow seems a bit quick but numbers are right) (3)
c) some heat will conduct through titanium into rest of metal / some heat lost to surroundings (by convection and radiation)
(not sure about second bit - I dont think heat loss will happen in ms) (2)
d) temp will be constant while melting (1)
Total (7)

Q6 a) Volume is zero at absolute zero - draw line on graph (2)
b) i) internal energy = sum of random distribution of kinetic and potential energies for all the molecules in the system (1)
ii) Need to put energy to convert liquid to a gas so gas has
more potential energy since intermolecular forces are less
more kinetic energy if temp is higher (2)
c) i) PV=nRT so P = 45 / 8.31 x (273+20) / 1.2E-2 = 9.13E6 Pa (2)
ii) no of moles in cylinder = PV/RT = 41.1 moles.
Total no of moles stays same = 45+41.1 = 86.1
Use total volume n=PV/RT 86 = P x (1.2E-2 +2.0E-3) / 8.31 x 293
so P = 1.5E7 Pa (3)
Tricky but we've seen this before.
iii) If n and V are constant, P is prop to T
so if T decreases (293 -> 277) P decreases (1)
Total (11)

Not too bad.
Last year looked Ok but the Mark scheme was very picky. This paper is more clear cut. Expecting very tight grade boundaries...

A 43
B 40
C 37
D 34
E 31

Good Luck
Col

for the question about the change of velocity, sureley you would of had to divide by 5380? as the mass of the spaceship was 5200 and the rocket was 180, as the rocket was attatched to the ship, rather than dive by just the rocket mass
Looking at the unofficial mark scheme, I think I've dropped 4 marks to obvious stupid mistakes. All the maths is right so if I take a few extra marks to be safe from the explanations that gives roughly 53 I think. In most previous years that's 100% and people say this one's hard so I'm hopeful. If true, I can lose up to a maximum of roughly 12 UMS in G485, which decreases the pressure a bit.
Original post by FeelsToWaltz
The general consensus at my sixth form was that this paper was a lot harder than last year. We were never really taught the information needed for question 1, and so it sent a lot of us into panic. It had also never come up in any past papers.

What was question 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neverseenanalien
I haven't been working on G485, I sacrificed G485 for G484, and at the and i don't think I got an A or a B, this is so unfair, no brownian motion, no experiments, I learn all of them, if there were questions about kinetic theory, brownian motion, or specific heat capacity, I'd have got an A easily, why are they doin this, only people with a few exams can spend time and get A*, I had so many exams....i'm pissed

I hope not. I have/had 18 exams and think I got around 53.

Original post by Jim997
I had ten exams, all physics modules and maths modules. And I've got between 48-52. 😉

What'd you get in the practicals?
An A* would be much easier if I only had 10 exams.
Original post by Elcor

Time always ****s me up, I either rush to answer all questions in time and mess up due to stress/not spending enough time on the qestion or I take my time and answer questions correctly but then I don't have enough time to attempt all questions

I'm an introvert, I like to think and take my time, even if the paper was 15-20min longer it would make a huge difference. I'm capable of solving hard problems. You might say we're getting tested in time-management. This is ****ing Maths, this is Science.... it takes time, whats the point of testing time-management.

I'm reading peoples comments and noticing you guys are mostly going to get 50. I don't understand how I can't even be sure of getting 40 marks for this exam, I revised so hard because this was a very important exam for me, I'm good at physics and maths, I always was and I' like to think I'm more clever than the average person but I don't know what it was about this exam that made it go so wrong for me....uhh..stress? I don't know but I hate myself for whatever the reason is for why I did terrible on this exam...I'ts been close to 11 hours since the exam and my stomach is still turning..I feel terrible right now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by morgan8002
I hope not. I have/had 18 exams and think I got around 53.

What'd you get in the practicals?
An A* would be much easier if I only had 10 exams.

Okay you are so smart,
Original post by rachelc142
it will not be more than 40 for an A. 43 is too high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

he predicted 49 for an A last year, it was 39 it's just what he thinks.. we don't know until results day but yeah i really do hope it goes down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending