The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
? There's generally only two of thoe doors leading into the JCR area open, even if they're all open I don't really see how it detracts from the drinking experience, especially since it means you can take your beer into the JCR room.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
It just feels weird. And you can take your beer into the JCR in Castle!
Reply 22
Becca
It just feels weird. And you can take your beer into the JCR in Castle!

You can take your drinks anywhere in Trevs, yay! :biggrin:

And I agree with you on Mildert's bar - it's just a random big L-shaped room with one side completely open (whenever I've visited). Doesn't seem like enough seats for me.

I know there is the JCR, but as an "outsider" I wouldn't feel comfortable heading in there with a drink, lol! :biggrin:
Reply 23
Thanks for all your comments. They've helped shape a very paradoxical image of a college with good but ghetto accomodation, excellent AND shoddy JCR and bar and some music/sport/charity... Sounds great! Can't wait for open day. :smile: x
Reply 24
Hah, the vast majority of the accomodation is lovely, offset by 2 not very nice blocks. The bar does lots of real ale [not that anyone cares], flows easily into the JCR which is a bonus for collegemembers and I've always felt it had a really good atmosphere.
Reply 25
If the bar has a) cider and b) people then I don't much care about anything else. Haha. Actually feeling pretty fortunate got moved on to Van Mildert rather than most of the other colleges... and not purely for the ducks... x
Reply 26
Because I like being controversial...

I think Derwent is better than Tees.

:biggrin:

Anyway, to the OP, basically all the accomodation is pretty good and you (shouldn't) find yourself disappointed with where you get put as the atmosphere around college is great and you will only have trouble if there is a heating/sewage failure or similar... neither of which have happened this year... yet!
Reply 27
I like the corridor structure better in Derwent/Wear, just not the crap lighting/crap everything.
And Wear 2nd floor's new fridge arrived today, as promised! :biggrin:
Reply 29
The e-mail seems to imply that Derwent 2nd floor are getting a new fridge. Which would be strange since ours is working fine, until yesterday that is when the light went out! It still keeps stuff cold though.
arkbar
The bar does lots of real ale [not that anyone cares]

Yay!!!!!! I care! I care very much; real ale is all I drink at a pub, given the choice. Spitfire at all....?
Reblet
Sounds great! Can't wait for open day. :smile:

Same here! Which one are you going to?
Reply 32
Dunno, I've not been there this year but what they had last year was:
Black sheep best bitter-Beer of the gods
Greene King IPA-Decent IPA
Deuchars IPA- Pretty nice
And a guest beer, which varied from the bizarre (I think one of them was green) to the lovely (Badger).
I think Cuths did Spitfire last year.
Reply 33
Danny_777
Same here! Which one are you going to?

I think the 20th one. Need to send off form soonish I suppose. Hope the open day thing is good, sounds immense. Will check out bar and decide if it is uni for me haha. x
arkbar
Dunno, I've not been there this year but what they had last year was:
Black sheep best bitter-Beer of the gods
Greene King IPA-Decent IPA
Deuchars IPA- Pretty nice
And a guest beer, which varied from the bizarre (I think one of them was green) to the lovely (Badger).
I think Cuths did Spitfire last year.

*Thanks God*
Reblet
I think the 20th one. Need to send off form soonish I suppose. Hope the open day thing is good, sounds immense. Will check out bar and decide if it is uni for me haha. x

If that's the second one, same, I'll see you there lol; I may join you in checkin out the bar! Supposedly all the open day is is just people with offers getting wasted anyway... :biggrin:
Reply 36
Wahey! And you get a couple of days off school for it! Sounds exactly my sort of thing! x
open days are quite popular and most people go away having had a really good time, I am sure you guys will enjoy it.
Reply 38
Do all departments/ colleges go at the same time? Freshers... day... x
Reply 39
Basically, there are 2 open days in March and every person who has an offer by then is invited from every college/dept. So, yes is the answer to your question. :smile:

Latest