The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

durham colleges!!!

I'm trying to choose preferences but im a bit lost haha. i would prefer a catered (if its possible to have part catered as I enjoy cooking at times) and gowned college with single rooms (preferably ensuite). community is also v important, I prefer active and large ones. does anyone recommend a certain college?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Despite this not being like a strictly gowned college, I personally would choose van mildert!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by bg112
I'm trying to choose preferences but im a bit lost haha. i would prefer a catered (if its possible to have part catered as I enjoy cooking at times) and gowned college with single rooms (preferably ensuite). community is also v important, I prefer active and large ones. does anyone recommend a certain college?

Hiya

I think St Cuthberts fits most of your criteria. It has both catered (Bailey site) and self-catered (Parsons Field) accommodation and if you get the self-catered one, you can also get a meal package from the college- more details here- https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/st-cuthberts-society/accommodation-and-catering/.

It is one of the bigger bailey colleges but is not gowned. You can always go to another college's formal if you have friends there so I don't think you'll be missing out on that experience!

All of the rooms in Parsons Field are single and most of them are ensuite. If facilities are shared, that will be between 6-10 people. You can find more about this accommodation and a tour here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/st-cuthberts-society/accommodation-and-catering/parsons-field-site/

-Himieka
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

I think St Cuthberts fits most of your criteria. It has both catered (Bailey site) and self-catered (Parsons Field) accommodation and if you get the self-catered one, you can also get a meal package from the college- more details here- https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/st-cuthberts-society/accommodation-and-catering/.

It is one of the bigger bailey colleges but is not gowned. You can always go to another college's formal if you have friends there so I don't think you'll be missing out on that experience!

All of the rooms in Parsons Field are single and most of them are ensuite. If facilities are shared, that will be between 6-10 people. You can find more about this accommodation and a tour here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/st-cuthberts-society/accommodation-and-catering/parsons-field-site/

-Himieka

thank you so much that is very helpful!!! i have st cuthberts as one of my top options.
Hi! i’m applying to uni next year and just trying to get my head around all the new uni stuff and i seem to have found myself in a bit of a rabbit hole but i really love the look of Durham and St Cuthbert’s sounds like a great college. I was just wondering how convenient it would be as a college choice for an english lit student? i’ve seen lots of people mention doing law at cuths but nothing much about any other courses :smile:
Reply 5
^ similar question here but for law (hopefully getting in to the Durham Sutton Trust program but I'd still like to know my options)
Original post by Ella07xyz
Hi! i’m applying to uni next year and just trying to get my head around all the new uni stuff and i seem to have found myself in a bit of a rabbit hole but i really love the look of Durham and St Cuthbert’s sounds like a great college. I was just wondering how convenient it would be as a college choice for an english lit student? i’ve seen lots of people mention doing law at cuths but nothing much about any other courses :smile:

Hiya,

My college is St Cuthbert's Society, and I can tell you its a great college and you'll love it there 🙂 English lit is a popular course in Durham and in the Bailey colleges in general so you'll definitely find people from your course but its also popular college so allocations can become more tricky; Colleges have a quota to fill for the number of students from each course so it does depend on how many students doing English lit apply.

Hope this helps

-Ghala
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya,
My college is St Cuthbert's Society, and I can tell you its a great college and you'll love it there 🙂 English lit is a popular course in Durham and in the Bailey colleges in general so you'll definitely find people from your course but its also popular college so allocations can become more tricky; Colleges have a quota to fill for the number of students from each course so it does depend on how many students doing English lit apply.
Hope this helps
-Ghala

Thank you!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest