The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Any advise will be allpriciated! LLB

hey guys i just got accpeted to LLB in exeter! i was just wondering if you have any advice for a first year student? you know those things thatyou wished someone had told you but you learnt by experiance. i sure have ALOT for IBstudents right now!

also what should i expect during freshers week? anything u advise for me to do then?
currently a 2nd to 3rd year law at exeter... as an international student i am doing alright... and as a former iber myself there is nothing i can advice you on except play hard during freshers week... and oh. law is very different from ib academically and otherwise. if you were doing english or history such as me you might find structurally a law essay is easy because these subjects are quite similar structural-wise... If you experience a shock or a slight decrease on your grades during your first few months (from your formatives) it is probably normal because tbh law and ib are very two different beasts altogether. Your summatives are going to be BETTER. That's for sure. And this is applicable for every law subject OTHER THAN CRIMINAL! :colonhash::angry::angry:

AND there is one thing exeter law students like to bash on: the dreaded criminal law (erm... jenny... errm... jenny ((she is a strict professor (but good) who really gives out grades which are lower than average comparing to other law subjects) , which most of us got really bad grades (mine a 45) and some of my friends actually failed criminal comparing to their shiny 2:1s during their first year and also comparing to my present (current) 2:1. It is very different than your other conventional law subjects! And when your peers and professors tell you revise heavily on criminal than others... DO IT! Do the past papers! Check sample answers! Don't just read the content!

Other than that there is really nothing you can really about! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I've just graduated with a 65% despite completely messing up first and second year - something which I feel has massively harmed my chances with regards to TC applications, however just secured one with BLP after paralegalling at Ashfords in Exeter for four months since my last exam.

My advice to anyone starting at Exeter doing Law:

- Go to lectures: The content is NOT that hard, but you do need to put in the hours. If you can't make it to all of your lectures (heavy night at TP Wednesday), then make damn well sure you attend the seminar on that topic. The exam questions will be centred around what you do in the seminars.

- Understand the exam technique. If you've never studied law before then chances are that you'll have a huge shock when it comes to answering exam questions. Consider ALL possibilities if you're answering a problem-style question, and don't forget to include remedies or defences at the end of the problem question. Sometimes just having a clear structure will pick up marks. It may also help to read some past papers and the marking scheme early on in the year, to get your head around the content. (also bear in mind that first year has lower criteria than second or third year)

- If you are consistent with your grades, chances are that once you graduate you will get a Deanes Commendation. A lot of people did this year, and the secret is to just consistently score a 2:1. This will look incredible on applications.

- On the topic of applications and careers: Its never to early to start considering this. Whatever area of law you're interested in or whatever your career goals are, you'll need to demonstrate some key qualities, and these have come up consistently in almost every training contract application i've applied for:

Teamwork, Innovation, Communication and Leadership

Basically any activity that you can link to one of those key qualities will prove invaluable to you once you begin applications during your second year. Ideally you would like to join a sports team or debating team, begin accumulating ties within BLS to hopefully run for a committee position at the end of first year/second year, and then think about volunteering, so participating in RAG week, thinking about applying for the Legal Helpdesk and pro-bono opportunities.

-LAWEXPRESS REVISION BOOKS - Literally lifesavers.

All of this may seem like a lot, but I will tell you now that law students are the most competitive people you will ever meet and its better to set this all in motion early on in your first year.

But overall, you will have a brilliant time at Exeter, you will make some brilliant friends in your 9am lectures and in Mega Kebab after a Cheesey Tuesday session, so make the most of it and enjoy!

Parting bit of advice: Invest in some gym wear, a macbook and stash aka. The Uniform.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending