The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Official University of Exeter 2024 Applicants Thread

Hello everyone, this is a thread for anyone applying to the University of Exeter for a start in September 2024.

Current students and Exeter staff will monitor this chat, so we will do our best to answer any of your questions. This is also a great place to meet other prospective students too!

Why not let us know what course you have applied to study, and how you are feeling about starting university?

You can see what courses we have on offer here, and keep up to date with any Open Days here.

We look forward to chatting with you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone. Our new 2023 students are arriving, so here is a fresh thread for anyone thinking of applying to the University of Exeter for September 2024.

We have current students and university staff monitoring this chat and we're ready to help with any queries you may have. We'll try to help out with your decision making wherever we can.

Chris
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Hi everyone!

For those of you who are interested in applying to the University of Exeter for 2024, I would highly recommend booking one of our Open Days!

Visiting universities is a great way to see how you feel there, what the facilities are like, and what the surrounding areas are like. When I went to my Open Day, I instantly loved how green Streatham campus was:smile:

For the Streatham and St Lukes campuses, our in-person Open Day is on the 7th of October.

For the Penryn campus, our in-person Open Day is on the 14th of October.

If you can't make these days, we also have an Online Open Day on the 25th of October. You can also book student-led campus tours with us at any time, or go on virtual tours.

To book your place, please visit our Open Days and Visiting page. For postgraduate visits, you can find more information here.

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Hello,
I would really like to apply to Exeter for Medicine. However, my UCAT score wasn't great. I got 2150 Band 3 but my A level predicted grades are sound and meet the entry requirements. Do you think I should still apply?
Original post by aspiring_med1
Hello,
I would really like to apply to Exeter for Medicine. However, my UCAT score wasn't great. I got 2150 Band 3 but my A level predicted grades are sound and meet the entry requirements. Do you think I should still apply?

Hi there - thanks for getting in touch. We know it is a tricky decision to make when choosing your UCAS choices for where to study medicine so we have tried to include as much useful information as we can on our BMBS Medicine course page. This includes our BMBS Admissions Process Policy, and BMBS FAQ's. We have also now provided Admissions data for the BMBS programme (2017-2022) which shows the minimum UCAT scores that have been achieved by those shortlisted for interview or made an offer. All of these are links you can access by expanding the Entry Requirement information on the course page. You might also consider checking out the TSR content in the specific Medicine forums to help with your decision making.

Chris
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Reply 5
Hi, How quickly will Exeter start offering to those who apply around this time? Humanities subjects. Do they wait until the New Year or will they start offering as soon as applications arrive?

Thanks
Hi Wombat11,

Thanks for your question and great to hear that you are interested in applying to study at the University of Exeter! You can find more detailed information on our 'After You Apply' webpage https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/afteryouapply/. This explains how we evaluate applications and respond with offers, which can vary slightly depending on the course that you have chosen. Generally, the university operates a ‘gathered field’ procedure whereby applications received between September and January will be considered but a decision may not be conveyed until the middle of May. Where this procedure is operated, candidates will be informed accordingly. Where possible the University of Exeter will try and provide a response earlier than this so that you aren't kept waiting.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kingsley
Hi there, my name is Kingsley and I'm a student ambassador and PhD student at the University of Exeter's Penryn Campus studying Biological Sciences. My research is focused on understanding the social evolution of termites, and involves studying them in the lab on campus and also fieldwork in their natural habitat in California.

Prior to my PhD, I also studied at Exeter for my Masters by Research and for my undergraduate degree in Zoology which included a year abroad at The University of Texas at Austin. I've thoroughly enjoyed my experience as an Exeter student in Cornwall, so much so I've decided to stay here for three degrees!

Outside of my research I enjoy live music, board games and American football. I'm also really into the outdoors and so love getting out and exploring Cornwall's countryside and going birdwatching or for a sunrise sea swim!

Please let me know if you've got any questions about the University of Exeter and I'll be happy to answer them and share from my own experiences studying here.

Kingsley
Hello,
So do you think I should consider making Exeter as one of my options this year or take a year out to get a better score on the UCAT?
Hi everyone,

My name is Kitty, I’m a third-year History student studying at Exeter’s Streatham Campus. I’m particularly passionate about Native American history and am in the process of writing my dissertation on the recovery of Native American Indigenous identity during the Vietnam War.

Outside of my studies, I’ve been involved in a number of societies including film society and running society both of which I have thoroughly enjoyed! Additionally, there are loads of great pubs, bars and restaurants within walking distance from me, perfect for balancing uni life with more casual and chilled fun with friends!

Please feel free to reach out with any questions you might have about studying at the University of Exeter, or student life in general! I look forward to hearing from you!

Kitty
Reply 10
Hi
We went to the open day yesterday. Admissions told us there would be a shuttle bus every 20 minutes up to the Streatham campus which made us choose to go by train but once arrived found out there was only one every 40 minutes to St Luke’s. The uphill hike might be fine for an 18-21 year old but me at 60 plus struggled!
Anyway, we didn’t get a chance to look at accommodation, but on paper a studio at Holland or an en suite at Pennsylvania looks good. Non partying but sociable female who does not want to be climbing hills all day! Any other recommendations? And if self catered can you still eat in the dining halls on occasion?
Thanks
PS the ambassadors yesterday were great - really friendly and helpful!
Reply 11
Another question- I think the Sociology and Politics looks more quantitative than qualitative (am I wrong)? But can’t see that there are a lot of politic modules available as option for a Sociology degree?
And I don’t understand the levels in the options section - is level one for Y1 and level two for Y2?

Thanks again!
Original post by Susieq55
Another question- I think the Sociology and Politics looks more quantitative than qualitative (am I wrong)? But can’t see that there are a lot of politic modules available as option for a Sociology degree?
And I don’t understand the levels in the options section - is level one for Y1 and level two for Y2?

Thanks again!

Hi - it looks like it is a BA course so will be more focused on qualitative than quantitative (which would be BSc). If you click on optional modules the list comes up. You are right that Level one is year one etc. In year one there are 12 politics modules to choose from and the student has to pick four.

The reference to Q-Step in year 2 is indeed quantitative (but it is optional). However, Q-Step is a great programme (run at a number of unis) for quantitative skills and research in social sciences :https://politics.exeter.ac.uk/research/centres/q-step/

All modules from year 2 are optional. There is a huge list of modules to choose from in both subjects, with the option for Qstep if there is interest there. I counted 35 optional politics modules available. I think you will be hard pressed to find a uni offering that amount for a dual honours programme. http://politics.exeter.ac.uk/students/ugmodules_exeter/2023-24/

Year 3 is also all optional modules for both subjects. So this is a very flexible degree with huge choice, allowing the student to really follow their own interests. Here’s the link to sociology optional modules:https://sociology.exeter.ac.uk/current/undergraduatemodules/2023-24/sociology/

Good luck with your research and hope this has helped.
Original post by Susieq55
Hi
We went to the open day yesterday. Admissions told us there would be a shuttle bus every 20 minutes up to the Streatham campus which made us choose to go by train but once arrived found out there was only one every 40 minutes to St Luke’s. The uphill hike might be fine for an 18-21 year old but me at 60 plus struggled!
Anyway, we didn’t get a chance to look at accommodation, but on paper a studio at Holland or an en suite at Pennsylvania looks good. Non partying but sociable female who does not want to be climbing hills all day! Any other recommendations? And if self catered can you still eat in the dining halls on occasion?
Thanks
PS the ambassadors yesterday were great - really friendly and helpful!

Hi @Susieq55,

Thank you for coming to visit us at our Open Day - I really hope you enjoyed visiting our campus and learning a bit more about life here at Exeter! Apologies for the confusion about the shuttle bus - the hills definitely take some getting used to!!

With regards to accommodation, Holland Hall is definitely a great option, just a five minute walk from the centre of campus. Alternatively, Lafrowda and East Park are 5-10 minutes away too. I would keep in mind Streatham Campus (and Exeter in general!) is quite hilly, so there isn’t too much that can be done to avoid them unfortunately! I’ve included a link here for virtual tours of our accommodations on offer, this might be worth taking a look at!
When applying for student accommodation, students are usually asked to fill out a questionnaire this is then used to help group together students with similar interests. Obviously, this isn’t a guarantee, but is more often than not successful in grouping together like-minded students.

If a student choose self-catered accommodation, there is an option to eat in catered accommodation with a Meal Package Card I believe each card purchased is worth 7 meals at Holland Hall, Birks Grange and Lopes Hall.

Finally, I can see you’ve asked a question about our Sociology and Politics course. Unfortunately, I study History so I don’t know too much about this, but I would really recommend speaking to one of our current students via our online chat and messaging system, linked here. They should be able to answer more specific questions about course and module content.

I hope this has helped in some way please do let me know if you have any other questions!

Kitty
Hi - can anyone point me in the right direction for admissions data? Am specifically interested in the applicant 2 offer ratio for BSc Pol & IR and BA IR (both at Streatham Campus). At the open day last weekend, it appeared that no-one from the department could answer this so am looking for the info online but can't find much transparency. Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 15
Hi is there an email to confirm our application has been received as I applied last week and have not had confirmation like I’ve had from other unis. Also is there a notification to say we are in a gathered field offer-wise for engineering and management?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi - can anyone point me in the right direction for admissions data? Am specifically interested in the applicant 2 offer ratio for BSc Pol & IR and BA IR (both at Streatham Campus). At the open day last weekend, it appeared that no-one from the department could answer this so am looking for the info online but can't find much transparency. Thanks so much :smile:

Hi there, you can contact our admissions office directly through the online form here, and I'm sure the team there will be happy to answer your question. Please let us know if there is anything else I can help with.

Kingsley
Anyone heard anything from them? Has anyone had an email acknowledging the application
I haven't had an email acknowledging my application. I only applied a few days ago though.
Reply 19
Email acknowledging application arrived about 2 weeks after application went in. They apologised for some delay due to problems in uploading applications.

Would be interested to know if anyone gets an early offer. I know they tier applicants and 3x Astar is tier one and they say they make some early offers to ‘exceptional applicants’ - I assume this mostly means those with top predictions or grades in hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending