The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

east park ground floor

i have been allocated a ground floor room in east park block a and am feeling very anxiety ridden about not having privacy/been unable to open curtains as people will be directly outside. do the windows have privacy glass or anything?
Hi! I was also in a ground floor room in East Park in my first year :smile: the windows have two sets of blinds - the first is a blackout blind and there is a second semi-opaque blind which allows light to penetrate but doesn't allow people to see inside during the daytime. In the evening, however, if you had this blind down and your bedroom lights on, people would be able to see inside, although you can't see out - it's good to be aware of this to avoid blunders!!
Most of the time during the day, if I wanted privacy, I had the second blind down halfway, so that people couldn't see in but to allow in as much light as possible.

It is also worth noting that some of the ground floor rooms won't have very much (if any) foot-traffic going past them, depending on which direction your room is facing. Some of the East Park rooms face onto a grassy verge that nobody can really see into, so you might not even need to use your blinds. However, if you do find that your wellbeing is impacted by your room and it's making you very anxious, you can speak to the Wellbeing team about it, and there may be an opportunity to apply to change rooms on these grounds.

I hope this helps - feel free to ask any more questions about East Park and I can try to help!

Nina
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi! I was also in a ground floor room in East Park in my first year :smile: the windows have two sets of blinds - the first is a blackout blind and there is a second semi-opaque blind which allows light to penetrate but doesn't allow people to see inside during the daytime. In the evening, however, if you had this blind down and your bedroom lights on, people would be able to see inside, although you can't see out - it's good to be aware of this to avoid blunders!!
Most of the time during the day, if I wanted privacy, I had the second blind down halfway, so that people couldn't see in but to allow in as much light as possible.

It is also worth noting that some of the ground floor rooms won't have very much (if any) foot-traffic going past them, depending on which direction your room is facing. Some of the East Park rooms face onto a grassy verge that nobody can really see into, so you might not even need to use your blinds. However, if you do find that your wellbeing is impacted by your room and it's making you very anxious, you can speak to the Wellbeing team about it, and there may be an opportunity to apply to change rooms on these grounds.

I hope this helps - feel free to ask any more questions about East Park and I can try to help!

Nina

Hi
Are the ground floor rooms at East Park allocated to students with disabilities?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
Are the ground floor rooms at East Park allocated to students with disabilities?

Hi!
I myself have chronic fatigue syndrome, which counts as a disability - before applying for accommodation I was in contact with the AccessAbility team who liaised with the accommodation team, and it was required that my bedroom was either accessible by lift or on the ground floor. The block that I was in did not have lift access - none of blocks A-D do - which would be why I was placed on the ground floor of my block. That being said, I was the only person in my flat with any kind of disability as far as I was aware.

However, all the other blocks in East Park do have lift access to all bedrooms. Additionally, I know some blocks have some accessible bedrooms that are larger (e.g. for those with physical mobility issues) that are not based on the ground floor. Therefore, if you have a disability it does not necessarily mean you will be placed on the ground floor, and probably depends on which block you have been allocated and your specific needs.

If you have any further questions about this feel free to ask - I can also let you know about my experience as a disabled student if this is something that applies to you and you’d like to know more about! :smile:

Nina
Thank you. This is so helpful. I would prefer a ground floor room but wasn’t sure if they were accessible rooms only. I have sorted it out now so many thanks toe your help!
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi!
I myself have chronic fatigue syndrome, which counts as a disability - before applying for accommodation I was in contact with the AccessAbility team who liaised with the accommodation team, and it was required that my bedroom was either accessible by lift or on the ground floor. The block that I was in did not have lift access - none of blocks A-D do - which would be why I was placed on the ground floor of my block. That being said, I was the only person in my flat with any kind of disability as far as I was aware.
However, all the other blocks in East Park do have lift access to all bedrooms. Additionally, I know some blocks have some accessible bedrooms that are larger (e.g. for those with physical mobility issues) that are not based on the ground floor. Therefore, if you have a disability it does not necessarily mean you will be placed on the ground floor, and probably depends on which block you have been allocated and your specific needs.
If you have any further questions about this feel free to ask - I can also let you know about my experience as a disabled student if this is something that applies to you and you’d like to know more about! :smile:
Nina
Hey,

I also have chronic fatigue and have applied to Exeter. What arrangements did you get put in place for having chronic fatigue?

I saw some unis had information available online and provided students suffering chronic fatigue with catered accommodation, ground floor rooms, ensuites so they don’t need to walk to bathroom especially during the night, extended time on exams and some extended deadlines, bed side desks, a scribe, recorded lectures, afternoon lessons, speech to text notes, someone to help write notes, extra academic support etc. But I couldn’t find any information for the support Exeter offers.

So if you could share with me the support you received for Chronic fatigue and how you applied (I am about to apply for student accommodation when it opens and would rather all support be put in place before September so I know it’s ready for when I start) the support I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending