The Student Room Group

grades

Hello :biggrin: I am going into year 10 and I would like to try try and find out what sort of grades I would get for my GCSEs. I know this sounds slightly stupid but I would like to try and find out (This is becauseI am in the first year that will experience the new grading system). I know the grades don't exactly equate though.I just want to check that I am doing alright.
(edited 8 years ago)
For any subject you got a level 8 in you are definitely looking at A*

My end of Year Nine levels were all around 7b/7a/8c and my GCSE grades were 7 A* and 3 A. If you keep working hard, you'll do well, but don't put too much pressure on yourself :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thanks for replying! :biggrin: Congrats those levels are amazing! :biggrin: I probably sound really silly worrying about grades this early but I am a worrier! I have decided I would like to get 7 and above for everything and a 9 for my art - my standards are way too high lol. I think that the new pass grade is roughly a 5. Why couldn't i have been born a year earlier! :')
Reply 3
Original post by Lossyb
Thanks for replying! :biggrin: Congrats those levels are amazing! :biggrin: I probably sound really silly worrying about grades this early but I am a worrier! I have decided I would like to get 7 and above for everything and a 9 for my art - my standards are way too high lol. I think that the new pass grade is roughly a 5. Why couldn't i have been born a year earlier! :':wink:

Haven't got a clue about the new grading system but I wouldn't rely on the levels. Have you put maximum effort in this year? I don't think I actually started working until end of year 10 so I can't even remember of my levels were bad or not but yet I came out with great GCSEs. However having said that it looks like you should do great in maths and art, should also get min equivalent of As in your other ones. However if you didn't put as much effort in this year then you could Easily end up getting all A*s (or 9s or whatever haha) in gcse
Original post by Lossyb
Thanks for replying! :biggrin: Congrats those levels are amazing! :biggrin: I probably sound really silly worrying about grades this early but I am a worrier! I have decided I would like to get 7 and above for everything and a 9 for my art - my standards are way too high lol. I think that the new pass grade is roughly a 5. Why couldn't i have been born a year earlier! :':wink:

Thank you, I'm praying for something good this year too :biggrin: Oops I completely forgot that you won't be working off the traditional grades *mumbles something about Michael Gove* but to put it simply, you have every right to aim high. Good luck and like I say, don't burn yourself out!!
Original post by Lossyb
Hello :biggrin: I am going into year 10 and I would like to try try and find out what sort of grades I would get for my GCSEs. I know this sounds slightly stupid but I would like to try and find out (This is becauseI am in the first year that will experience the new grading system). I know the grades don't exactly equate though.I just want to check that I am doing alright. Here are my levels at the end of year 9 for the subjects that I will be taking next year:

science: 7a
English: 7b
Maths: 8c
Geography: 7c
Art: 8a

Thanks!

Levels show nothing. I used to get levels 4/5 for maths and i ended up top of the school.
Reply 6
Original post by RonnieRJ
Haven't got a clue about the new grading system but I wouldn't rely on the levels. Have you put maximum effort in this year? I don't think I actually started working until end of year 10 so I can't even remember of my levels were bad or not but yet I came out with great GCSEs. However having said that it looks like you should do great in maths and art, should also get min equivalent of As in your other ones. However if you didn't put as much effort in this year then you could Easily end up getting all A*s (or 9s or whatever haha) in gcse

Thanks for the reply! The new grading system completely scraps the A*, A, B,C's etc and instead the levels range from 1 to 9 (9 being the highest ). I have worked my butt off this year after being worried about sets and being told there was a possibility that I could do Triple science :') I guess I shall have to continue to do that next year and the year after :').
Reply 7
Original post by rakib567
Levels show nothing. I used to get levels 4/5 for maths and i ended up top of the school.

wow thats amazing! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by rakib567

Literally what happened to me, I really wouldn't worry about the levels.
Bet you'll come out with 9s and 8s mostly in that case, you have good grades already so you're off on a good start

(Also yes yes yes try and do triple science I loved it)
Original post by Lossyb
Thanks for the reply! The new grading system completely scraps the A*, A, B,C's etc and instead the levels range from 1 to 9 (9 being the highest ). I have worked my butt off this year after being worried about sets and being told there was a possibility that I could do Triple science :') I guess I shall have to continue to do that next year and the year after :').

Do basically does 9 = A*, 8 = A, 7 = B etc? Like the same grades with numbers not letters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lossyb
Hello :biggrin: I am going into year 10 and I would like to try try and find out what sort of grades I would get for my GCSEs. I know this sounds slightly stupid but I would like to try and find out (This is becauseI am in the first year that will experience the new grading system). I know the grades don't exactly equate though.I just want to check that I am doing alright. Here are my levels at the end of year 9 for the subjects that I will be taking next year:

Thanks!

Sorry to burst your bubble but they equate to nothing. I remember back in Y9 when I searched desperately to covert NC levels to predicted grades and it quite simply doesn't work.

Don't predict your grades or anything until you've actually completed mocks and coursework.
Reply 11
Original post by jamestg
Sorry to burst your bubble but they equate to nothing. I remember back in Y9 when I searched desperately to covert NC levels to predicted grades and it quite simply doesn't work.

Don't predict your grades or anything until you've actually completed mocks and coursework.

Its ok :smile: I just wanted to check that I was doing ok. Thanks for the reply!
Original post by Lossyb

Thanks!

roughly in terms of equivalents a level 7 is equivalent to a GCSE grade C and a level 8 is a GCSE grade B, but this is not representative of what you will get at GCSE as the level of knowledge increases allowing you to reach the higher grades, hence grade progression to GCSE...

I will use myself as an example...

I got all level 8's and level 7's at the end of year nine, excluding a level 6 in French and English...

I went on to get 9A* and 1A, and i managed to get 2 of those A*'s in english! the A was in french!!

honestly your grades now are not really a great representation of what your GCSE grades will be as its all about the hard work you put into the courses!

Quick Reply

Latest