The Student Room Group

Btec grade calculation

Hello everyone ,

I finished sixth form recently , I studied applied science level 3 extended diploma. My teacher calculated my grade and told me it’s a DDD for my over all grade result for august but apparently this can change due to grade boundaries is this true? Apparently it changes on how everyone’s done but is it not calculated from your grade results you have achieved
Original post by Uknown568
Hello everyone ,

I finished sixth form recently , I studied applied science level 3 extended diploma. My teacher calculated my grade and told me it’s a DDD for my over all grade result for august but apparently this can change due to grade boundaries is this true? Apparently it changes on how everyone’s done but is it not calculated from your grade results you have achieved

GCSE grade calculations are pretty complex.

You get awarded points for each unit.

For internal units (i.e. those assessed via coursework) those points are based on the unit grade (merit, distinction, etc.) and the size of the unit.

For external units (i.e. those assessed via exams) those points are based upon your exam mark, the unit size, and the grade boundaries. (Hence why your teacher is telling you, correctly, that "this can change due to grade boundaries"; they've presumably used last year's boundaries to estimate your overall grade.)

Once you know your points per unit, you sum them up to get your total points, and that tells you your overall grade (e.g. DDD).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
GCSE grade calculations are pretty complex.

You get awarded points for each unit.

For internal units (i.e. those assessed via coursework) those points are based on the unit grade (merit, distinction, etc.) and the size of the unit.

For external units (i.e. those assessed via exams) those points are based upon your exam mark, the unit size, and the grade boundaries. (Hence why your teacher is telling you, correctly, that "this can change due to grade boundaries"; they've presumably used last year's boundaries to estimate your overall grade.)

Once you know your points per unit, you sum them up to get your total points, and that tells you your overall grade (e.g. DDD).

Thank you but what I’m very confusted about I already know my exam and coursework results as I sat my exams a long time ago and that’s how my teacher has calculated them by my coursework and exam results already sat.
Reply 4

Hi , thanks , my teacher has already used that to calculate my grades as I have sat my exams and have my coursework results already but someone told me that the grade can change due to how everyone does in btec overall across the country I just wanna know if this is true
Hi , thanks , my teacher has already used that to calculate my grades as I have sat my exams and have my coursework results already but someone told me that the grade can change due to how everyone does in btec overall across the country I just wanna know if this is true

this can happen if you havent sat the exams yet. for example if you had exams in a month, and everyone else does badly, it becomes easier to get a merit. BUT if you've already done them, your grade can't change
Reply 6
Original post by saskiahdltea
this can happen if you havent sat the exams yet. for example if you had exams in a month, and everyone else does badly, it becomes easier to get a merit. BUT if you've already done them, your grade can't change

Yes! That’s what I had meant , my friend tried to tell me otherwise what I didn’t get is I already have my grades for coursework which is a D and for exams I already know what I have as the last exam was around January. So then recently my teacher calculated it and said it’s a DDD does the exam board also calculate it or is it only teachers that submit it
Yes! That’s what I had meant , my friend tried to tell me otherwise what I didn’t get is I already have my grades for coursework which is a D and for exams I already know what I have as the last exam was around January. So then recently my teacher calculated it and said it’s a DDD does the exam board also calculate it or is it only teachers that submit it

i assume the teacher calculates it and submits, then the exam board double check!
Thank you but what I’m very confusted about I already know my exam and coursework results as I sat my exams a long time ago and that’s how my teacher has calculated them by my coursework and exam results already sat.

...I have as the last exam was around January. So then recently my teacher calculated it and said it’s a DDD does the exam board also calculate it or is it only teachers that submit it

That's odd. I'd assumed you'd sat the exams in June. Those grade boundaries have yet to be released.

If you sat the January 2023 exams - for which the grade boundaries have been released - then there is no uncertainty about your grade. (Assuming your teacher used those grade boundaries in the calculation.)

The exam board calculates your grade, but they way they calculate it is public (as are the grade boundaries now) so the calculation your teacher has done should be accurate.
Reply 9
Hi can anyone help me. I have calculated my grade using the calculator to and i would achieve 198 points which is DDM. I am 2 points clear of the threshold, does that mean i will still get DDM or is there a possibility the grade can change to a DMM?
Original post by Ascodigne
Hi can anyone help me. I have calculated my grade using the calculator to and i would achieve 198 points which is DDM. I am 2 points clear of the threshold, does that mean i will still get DDM or is there a possibility the grade can change to a DMM?

Did you use the grade boundaries for the correct exam series (e.g. the January 2023 grade boundaries if you took your exams in January 2023) the to establish the unit points you entered into the calculator?

If you did, and you entered all the information into the grade calculator correctly, then the result it generated will be accurate and will not change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending