The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
Durham is awesome for enthusiastic-yet-not-especially-talented sports people! That's what college teams are all about. If you're really skilled at a sport then you can play it at uni level, but for the not so skilled people, it's really easy to get involved in a college sport, as most colleges have several football/netball/rugby/tennis/badminton/frisbee etc etc etc teams. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I play squash and pool for my college, despite being crap at both. Others do the same. This means that I feel less crap because I do sometimes beat people. Hurrah for the collegiate system!
Reply 3
What sports were you thinking of? I'm at Trevelyan and so can tell you a lot about what sports teams we have :smile:
Reply 4
Winnipeg's thinking of Trevs I think :smile:

What sports teams do you have? Like, if I had a choice now I'd probably do netball, but what are the more non traditional teams you have?
Reply 5
dobbs
What sports were you thinking of? I'm at Trevelyan and so can tell you a lot about what sports teams we have :smile:

I was wondering about hockey mainly - I've always wanted to play but have never had the opportunity :frown:
Reply 6
Well if you go to http://www.dur.ac.uk/trevelyan.jcr then go to "Clubs, Societies & Committees" then you can choose what category you want to see, but it'll show you all of the Sports, etc. that you can join.

These are:

* Trevelyan College Boat Club
* Trevelyan College Rifle and Pistol Club
* Trevelyan College Martial Arts Club
* TrevSki
* Women's Badminton
* Men's Badminton Club
* Men's Basketball Club
* Women's Basketball
* Cricket Club
* Men's Darts Team
* Women's Darts
* Men's Football
* Women's Football
* Golf Society
* Men's Hockey
* Women's Hockey
* Netball
* Pool
* Women's Rugby
* Men's Rugby
* Men's Squash
* Women's Squash
* Table Tennis Club
* Tennis Club
* Trevelyan College Indoor Climbing Club
* Mixed Lacrosse
* Trevelyan College Croquet Club
* Cheerleading Squad
* Trevelyan College Paintballers

So quite a lot! And the more popular sports there are various teams so you don't have to be amazing!!

Yes there is a hockey team, they're pretty good I think and you can join when you get here then learn how to play at the training sessions....you don't have to know how to play any of the sports before you do them! :smile:
Reply 7
Cricket and Pool are mine.

What no lawn bowls.... shame on you.
Reply 8
dobbs
Yes there is a hockey team, they're pretty good I think and you can join when you get here then learn how to play at the training sessions....you don't have to know how to play any of the sports before you do them! :smile:

That's really good :smile:
Reply 9
Yes there is a hockey team, they're pretty good I think and you can join when you get here then learn how to play at the training sessions....you don't have to know how to play any of the sports before you do them!

If it's anything like Mary's there are a couple of freshers who play in matches regularly now who had never even picked a hockey stick up before they came to uni.
Reply 10
ssmoose
If it's anything like Mary's there are a couple of freshers who play in matches regularly now who had never even picked a hockey stick up before they came to uni.

Yep! I think most colleges will be like this :smile:
Mildert Galaxy!!
Reply 12
Lacrosse sounds cool....I might have a go at that actually :biggrin: (If I get in...)
Reply 13
Ha ha, next year I'm going to be Women's Pool Captain. Even though I'm crap. What a bizarre place the world is.
Reply 14
Mildert Galaxy!!

Two of my housemates next year are actually members of Mildert E team, my mind boggles as to how bad they are.
Reply 15
Two of my housemates next year are actually members of Mildert E team, my mind boggles as to how bad they are.

I have a feeling that they beat Mary's A more convincingly than Mildert A beat Mary's C... they can't be too bad.
Reply 16
To be honest, my team has beaten D teams easily but struggled with E teams from the same college. I'm in a C team, but it's only the C team because it's women's pool, whereas the people I know on the D team are often better than us. I don't think the letter of your team really says much after you get past A and B.
Reply 17
To me non-competitive sports means not really with teams, rather than for pathetic people.

I was thinking that university may give me the opportunity to get into some things I really like doing but have only really done once a year with a group of youth and being very much led.
Canadian-style canoeing - just to go on some river trips or such for the scenary and the enjoyment of canoeing. Doing it as part of a club/group means I could sort of improve my paddling and basic knowledge of river terms.
Climbing - I love climbing and really want to get into it so I can know I can do belaying and stuff with out someone watching/checking. Even to the point that I could take a group to a climbing centre for a 1 time fun thing and I be the leader/belayer. This may be good to work towards a certificate and I was hoping to find 1 mate to do it with after work once a week but am too tired to start it really.
Climbing I think you can compete in, but even in a race it is really about beating yourself and challenging yourself to go increasingly harder ways each time - sometimes spured on with a group mate at similar level.
Reply 18
Well, there's definitely a canoe and kayak club and a uni climbing club, plus I think a few colleges have their own climbing clubs, I know Castle does. :smile:

Latest