The Student Room Group

Business Studies or Economics?

Hi, I am torn between doing A-Level Business Studies and Economics (Exam board is CCEA) which one would you say is easier* or more enjoyable to do?
*Difficulty somewhat comes into account because I already know what I want to do for my 2 other A-levels but these two subjects I've mentioned are the only other subjects i enjoy enough to do an A-Level in
What other subjects are you taking. Economics will be accepted as a preferred subject everywhere. Business studies sometimes isnt and will only be treated as a 3rd subject with 2 other preferred subjects. Economics and Business studies arent accepted by some universities together.
Reply 2
I'm doing Maths and Physics and just so you know it is the A-Level Business Studies, not a BTEC
Original post by Shermend Lakk
I'm doing Maths and Physics and just so you know it is the A-Level Business Studies, not a BTEC

Maths and Physics are 2 preferred subjects anywhere you look so the 3rd can be anything you like. On a personal basis I think I would prefer Economics but it wont make any difference.

Subject combinations
Introduction

As the majority of our applicants apply with A-levels, this guidance is written primarily towards that audience. However, the information contained is relevant to students offering any qualification. If you are unsure how this guidance applies to your qualification, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Note that where specific guidance regarding the suitability of a particular subject/subject combination is given on the entry requirements pages of Information for international students, that guidance supersedes the more general guidance given below.

Subject combinations and non-preferred subjects

The School considers not only the individual qualifications offered by applicants but also the combination of subjects offered. Individual degree programmes may have specific subject requirements or preferences which are listed in the admissions criteria for each individual programme. We also have a number of general policies, listed below.

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance.

Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects.

Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects.

Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology
Common "non-preferred" subjects:

Any Applied A-level
Accounting****
Art and Design
Business Studies
Citizenship Studies
Communication and Culture
Creative Writing
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies***
Film Studies
Health and Social Care
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Leisure Studies
Media Studies
Music Technology
Physical Education/Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism
Normally excluded subjects:

Critical Thinking
General Studies
Global Perspectives and Research
Knowledge and Enquiry
Project Work
Thinking Skills
If you would like information about the suitability of a subject which does not appear on these lists, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

* See the Mathematics and Further Mathematics section below.

** See Language Qualifications information on the Entry Requirements webpage

*** The Departments of Anthropology, International History, International Relations, Social Policy and Sociology consider Drama and Theatre Studies equally with other generally preferred subjects. Therefore, they will consider Drama and Theatre Studies alongside one other subject from the non-preferred list. However, the majority of departments continue to regard Drama and Theatre Studies as a non-preferred subject.

**** The Department of Accounting considers Accounting equally with other generally preferred subjects. Therefore, they will consider Accounting alongside one other subject from the non-preferred list. However, the majority of departments continue to regard Accounting as a non-preferred subject.

Essay based A-Level subjects:

Art History
Business Studies
Classics
Drama
Economics
English Literature
English Language
English Literature
English Language and Literature (Combined)
Environmental Studies
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Law
Media Studies
Modern Languages
Modern Studies
Philosophy
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology
The combination of subjects studied, in conjunction with the level of competition for the programme, may sometimes result in those offering three (or more) preferred subjects being deemed as less competitive by the Academic Selector on the basis of their subject combination.

Overlapping subjects
Many of the undergraduate programmes at LSE are multi-disciplinary and for this reason we consider a broad mix of traditional subjects to be the best preparation for study. A broad academic background will provide the skills to perform well in any of the challenging programmes at LSE. Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other. Please also refer to the subject combination guidance on our programme pages and the Mathematics and Further Mathematics section below.

Quick Reply

Latest