The Student Room Group

I really want to go to a good uni

I really want to go Harvard University and I'm in 10th grade but I am doing Math Foundation tier ( edexcel)and double award science (edexcel) can I still get accepted to Harvard or any other good universities??
Original post by Sarah1911sa
I really want to go Harvard University and I'm in 10th grade but I am doing Math Foundation tier ( edexcel)and double award science (edexcel) can I still get accepted to Harvard or any other good universities??

Harvard has very high academic and non-academic standards, and you study a much broader range of subjects when you're there. If you're struggling at GCSE level, it may not be advisable.

Focus on what you want to achieve academically &/or professionally not where you want to go.
Aim for Oxford/Cambridge before you aim for Harvard (in my opinion) unless you are amazing at one thing (i.e. a sport) because Harvard (and other top us unis) love that (more than Oxbridge).

However, if you can’t achieve very good GCSEs, the chances of you getting 3-5 A/A*s (you realistically need 4/5 A*s for Harvard) at the advanced level is quite low (so the chances of Oxbridge AND Harvard are quite low).

Not saying it can’t be done I got 3 A*s and 1 A in my A levels after averaging a 6.4 in my GCSEs (partly due to my teacher-assessed GCSE grades in 2021 but that’s a separate story).

Aim for very good GCSEs (all 7-9) in your year 11 mocks, and then think about Oxbridge and the Ivy League.

I'm saying after the year 11 mocks rather than later (like GCSE results day) because you need to prepare very early to have a chance at admission to Harvard. After all, you need to do volunteering, extracurriculars, supercurriculars, competitions, etc.
(edited 6 months ago)

In all honesty, probably not, unless you have insane extra-curriculars, and this is not necessarily because they'll reject you for it, but because you will need to take maths (and often a science) in your first year of an American BA degree to complete their general requirements. You need to focus on extra curriculars and doing extremely well in your classes (most people who go to an Ivy are one of the top performers in their school). I don't think many people realise just how competitive Ivy Leagues are. They can literally be TEN times more competitive than Oxford and Cambridge. There was one girl from my school who went to Cornell and it took her 2 attempts to get in, she was head girl and did sport at an extremely high level, founded a club, and didn't get less than an A* in anything. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's an uphill battle.

Source: currently at an Ivy (for my PhD), probably would not have gotten in straight out of 6th Form
Combined science isn't an issue, however foundation maths limits you at best to a C equivalent which is a dent in your records, and moreover the structure of US universities including Harvard is that you are REQUIRED to take math (and other; science, social sciences, humabities, languages) class(es) in the first term or two and these will be about equivalent to A-level Maths normally. So they want to see you have done very well in all your subjects to ensure you can cope with the gen ed requirements they know you need to take with them anyway.

To be competitive for those kind of colleges in the US you need to realistically be very good at all your subjects as a minimum - and then on top of that you need to distinguish yourself in particular areas and in your ECs.

As above though focusing on a specific university is not very helpful because anything you could study at Harvard you could study elsewhere at undergraduate level at least.

Focus on what you want to do then pick universities based on your profile which will allow you to pursue that - don't try and reverse engineer an interest based on a university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending