The Student Room Group

Mini-Pupillage Thread 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyLaw23
From people's comments on here and my own experience, I think they're one of the best sets at doing minis, albeit that their minis are a little long. The members are really friendly too, so when you're in/around chambers, expect to be going to lunch in hall with a group of people that your mini-pupil supervisor has rounded up.

Agreed.

I spent three days in court and two in chambers, but I felt like if I'd wanted to spend more time in chambers I could have just said -- the days out of chambers were more offered to me in a 'do you fancy going to see this?' manner.

They do seem to be ahead of the game with recruitment. They treat mini-pupils well, and have a dedicated pupillage site, etc. It's almost more like a firm's approach than a traditional set's approach.
Reply 181
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I spent three days in court and two in chambers, but I felt like if I'd wanted to spend more time in chambers I could have just said -- the days out of chambers were more offered to me in a 'do you fancy going to see this?' manner.

They do seem to be ahead of the game with recruitment. They treat mini-pupils well, and have a dedicated pupillage site, etc. It's almost more like a firm's approach than a traditional set's approach.

Agreed on all counts. The recruitment approach and the way they conduct minis does make such a big difference too - if I was lucky enough to have a choice for pupillage, Henderson would be very near the top of my list, only below a small handful of MC sets.

The only other sets I've been at which were at the same level in terms of minis and their approach towards recruitment are 20 Essex Str and Essex Court.

PS. Congrats on the 39 Essex mini, from what I gathered in the pupillage thread (?)
Thanks for the replies everyone that's really informative! Certainly looking forward to it given the great things I've heard - don't know if it's just me but I always seem to get slightly nervous before these things even though iv got a couple under by belt already...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Original post by LegalLab
Thanks for the replies everyone that's really informative! Certainly looking forward to it given the great things I've heard - don't know if it's just me but I always seem to get slightly nervous before these things even though iv got a couple under by belt already...

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
PS. Congrats on the 39 Essex mini, from what I gathered in the pupillage thread (?)

Thanks. It's a particularly good time for a bit of encouragement by way of mini invite :smile:
Mini-pupillage interview with Brick Court secured! Anyone been through the process before and able to shed some light?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mini-pupillage interview with Brick Court secured! Anyone been through the process before and able to shed some light?

Yes - very brief interview where they asked me just two questions - no substantive law involved. I think I was in and out in about 5-6 mins - which I assumed at the time was disastrous but a few days later they offered me a mini.

Good luck,
Original post by Forum User
Yes - very brief interview where they asked me just two questions - no substantive law involved. I think I was in and out in about 5-6 mins - which I assumed at the time was disastrous but a few days later they offered me a mini.

Good luck,

Thanks! I've heard the mini's are quite intense but very keen to complete one with the view to pupillage so hopefully all goes well at the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! I've heard the mini's are quite intense but very keen to complete one with the view to pupillage so hopefully all goes well at the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the Brick Court mini is intense. They give everyone the same set problem (which I can't discuss), but your mini-pupil supervisor will ask you to do other small pieces of work as well - opinions, defences, PoCs etc, then they stick it all in a file with the supervisor's comments, and that information all forms part of deciding who to interview and who to offer pupillage to. I enjoyed it a lot, though.
Yeah the Brick Court mini is intense. They give everyone the same set problem (which I can't discuss), but your mini-pupil supervisor will ask you to do other small pieces of work as well - opinions, defences, PoCs etc, then they stick it all in a file with the supervisor's comments, and that information all forms part of deciding who to interview and who to offer pupillage to. I enjoyed it a lot, though.

Thanks for the extra info, that kind of approach quite appeals to me because I feel like it gives more scope for demonstrating suitability - will wait and see how it all plays out I suppose !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190

Congrats! :smile: I've been meaning to apply there for a while now, so here's hoping my app gets on as well as yours did
Congrats! :smile: I've been meaning to apply there for a while now, so here's hoping my app gets on as well as yours did

Fingers crossed for you, I was quite surprised when the email came through actually because it's been around 2 months since I applied so I had almost forgot about it in the mayhem of the pupillage applications

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Fingers crossed for you, I was quite surprised when the email came through actually because it's been around 2 months since I applied so I had almost forgot about it in the mayhem of the pupillage applications

Thanks very much - fingers crossed indeed :smile: That's exactly why I haven't applied yet - haven't had the time in between pupillage apps
Reply 193

Out of interest, were the questions CV based or current awareness/debate topic type?
Reply 194
3 Hare Court offers via email (for a deadline ages ago - can't remember when exactly)
Out of interest, were the questions CV based or current awareness/debate topic type?

If I remember correctly, it was one CV question and one debate topic.
Hi all,

Has anyone heard back re: 2TG assessed minis?
Reply 197
Sorry, haven't applied.
Guys, no trolling, just advice and opinions, please. I left school with bad GCSEs due to depression and bad attendance. That, therefore, resulted in the next four years of my life being a hard time doing a few basic jobs and battling my problems. However, at 21 I went to college and did an Access to HE: Law and Criminology Diploma and went to Birmingham City University. I graduated with a First, got a scholarship to do an LL.M at Warwick and just missed out on a distinction there. However, I now feel that, even though I am now 27, my past is going to prevent me from securing a good career. This is, again, making me feel down and is giving me the feeling that I have wasted my time. Any opinions, guys? Many thanks for reading.
Hey everyone, thanks for bothering to share all your info here, it's nice to hear about other people in the same whirlwind. I am a UCL Russian and Philosophy grad taking a year out before doing the GDL and currently doing an internship in financial law at a multinational Chinese firm in Beijing. I have previously done minis at St Ives, Birmingham in family and 1 Brick Court in libel.

Firstly, I am aiming for London family law sets, and I can see most people on here are aiming for commercial. Does anyone else have any experience of applying for minis in this area?

Secondly, I have been told recently I should get minis in other areas of law even if I am quite sure I want to do family. I will be applying for GDL scholarships in May so am thinking that I should try and get some on my CV before then, or at least before interview in June. As my main experience of family is many years frontline work (on top of uni) in the disability sector, one obvious additional area to apply to is civil, particularly personal injury and clinical negligence. Another is commercial, due to my current financial law internship and its closeness to matrimonial finance.
- Has anyone got recommendations of where I might be best off standing a chance of getting minis for my CV before May, or indeed how important having different minis will be for a GDL scholarship?

Thirdly, when answering why I want to do a mini at a particular set, am I expected to be as specific as to refer to particular cases? I have been doing this so far but being pre any law training it is pretty hard to say something insightful, and I am aware I could easily be making myself look stupid without realising by saying something wrong.

Cheers in advance for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending