The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Medicine?

I know this has probably been asked many times but I am really worried that I won't be good enough and it's really stressing me out.
It seems like everyone that gets into medicine had like 10A*'s at GCSE and this is seriously putting me down.
My GCSE results were mediocre at best: I got 3 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 Bs. Would a distinction star be counted as an A* for medical school? I'm really feeling down about my gcse results because I thought they were good, as I was given a high achiever award for the borough that I live in.
My AS Level results are AAAA in Chemistry, Biology, English And History. Would I have a better chance if I pick up Maths or Physics at AS?

Realistically what are my chances of getting into medicine? I have some relevant work experience, but not a lot but I am still applying to places but I find it really difficult to find anything as I don't have many contacts.
I am soon going to sit my UKCAT. What would I need to be considered with my grades??
I won't be applying to anywhere like Oxbridge etc.
But what would my chances me in getting into somewhere like UCL? Barts and London? St Georges? University of Plymouth or Aberdeen?
Please any medical students out there :smile: In all honesty, I don't care where I do medicine but I would just like to know that i have a fair chance. My biggest fear is getting five rejections..
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AqsaMx
I know this has probably been asked many times but I am really worried that I won't be good enough and it's really stressing me out.
It seems like everyone that gets into medicine had like 10A*'s at GCSE and this is seriously putting me down.
My GCSE results were mediocre at best: I got 3 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 Bs. Would a distinction star be counted as an A* for medical school? I'm really feeling down about my gcse results because I thought they were good, as I was given a high achiever award for the borough that I live in.
My AS Level results are AAAA in Chemistry, Biology, English And History. Would I have a better chance if I pick up Maths or Physics at AS?

Realistically what are my chances of getting into medicine? I have some relevant work experience, but not a lot but I am still applying to places but I find it really difficult to find anything as I don't have many contacts.
I am soon going to sit my UKCAT. What would I need to be considered with my grades??
But what would my chances me in getting into somewhere like UCL? Barts and London? St Georges? University of Plymouth or Aberdeen?
Please any medical students out there :smile: In all honesty, I don't care where I do medicine but I would just like to know that i have a fair chance. My biggest fear is getting five rejections..

Your GCSE's are good and AS are amazing, so your academic side is fine.
What work experience do you have
Original post by AqsaMx

You sound perfectly fine to be honest. With those AS grades you should have no trouble getting predicted AAA grades at A2 (make sure you don't drop either of the sciences - while some universities only require Chemistry, you might find yourself out of options if you don't get AAA in your other subjects and are left to apply to the few medical schools that accept resit applicants, most of whom want Biology).

Just work hard on the UKCAT as some universities operate a cut-off score each year below which applicants are automatically rejected without interview.

Have a look at this page: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

That should help you decide where to apply. Depending on what you get on your UKCAT, aim for the ones that place a higher emphasis on predicted grades, AS grades, and UKCAT performance (if you do better than average) than on GCSEs. It's best to avoid Oxbridge since they unusually ask for Chemistry as a compulsory subject and two other science subjects, while you only have one.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
GSCEs aren't important, at the end of the day you can resit them- doesn't seem like you'd have any problem looking at your AS grades. I think you have a very high chance, as long as you're predicted the right grades for the universities. You need to look online and see what sort of work experience they're looking for- work experience can be make or break and you haven't got long until you'll send off your personal statement. Best thing to do is find threads from aspiring medicine students and figure out what sort of credentials people have and where they're applying. TSR is your best resource! There will be an archive of Medicine personal statements, were they got into and their grades. Remember to apply to your strengths and you'll do fine!
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
You sound perfectly fine to be honest. With those AS grades you should have no trouble getting predicted AAA grades at A2 (make sure you don't drop either of the sciences - while some universities only require Chemistry, you might find yourself out of options if you don't get AAA in your other subjects and are left to apply to the few medical schools that accept resit applicants, most of whom want Biology).

Just work hard on the UKCAT as some universities operate a cut-off score each year below which applicants are automatically rejected without interview.

Have a look at this page: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

That should help you decide where to apply. Depending on what you get on your UKCAT, aim for the ones that place a higher emphasis on predicted grades, AS grades, and UKCAT performance (if you do better than average) than on GCSEs. It's best to avoid Oxbridge since they unusually ask for Chemistry as a compulsory subject and two other science subjects, while you only have one.

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you! Do you think Im at a loss without Maths? Should I pick it up at AS? I really disliked it at GCSE so i'm reluctant.
Reply 5
Original post by cmfunk
Your GCSE's are good and AS are amazing, so your academic side is fine.
What work experience do you have

Thank you :smile:
I work in an organisation that works alongside a hospital to improve healthcare services.
I have volunteered for two hospitals but I only start next month.
And a care home.
Is that okay? Or would I be expected to do more? What would you recommend?
Reply 6
Original post by Charletitia
GSCEs aren't important, at the end of the day you can resit them- doesn't seem like you'd have any problem looking at your AS grades. I think you have a very high chance, as long as you're predicted the right grades for the universities. You need to look online and see what sort of work experience they're looking for- work experience can be make or break and you haven't got long until you'll send off your personal statement. Best thing to do is find threads from aspiring medicine students and figure out what sort of credentials people have and where they're applying. TSR is your best resource! There will be an archive of Medicine personal statements, were they got into and their grades. Remember to apply to your strengths and you'll do fine!

Thank you so much. I'm trying to get more work experience right now.
Do you think two hospitals, a care home and a pharmacy would be enough?
Original post by AqsaMx
Thank you! Do you think Im at a loss without Maths? Should I pick it up at AS? I really disliked it at GCSE so i'm reluctant.

If you don't like it, there's no point really since most medical schools only require two science subjects. They won't think anything of it as long as you have Biology and Chemistry.

I actually regret taking all sciences as my workload could have been significantly reduced by taking a humanities subject because, grade-wise, I've always been better at humanities than at science.
Reply 8
Original post by AqsaMx

Yes I think that would be enough for work experience, but make sure you also focus on the quality of the experience- it's not how much you do, it's how much you learn.

Also have you done any volunteering?
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman
If you don't like it, there's no point really since most medical schools only require two science subjects. They won't think anything of it as long as you have Biology and Chemistry.

I actually regret taking all sciences as my workload could have been significantly reduced by taking a humanities subject because, grade-wise, I've always been better at humanities than at science.

Okay thank you :smile:
With work experience do you think two hospitals, a care home and a pharmacy will be good enough?
Reply 10
Original post by cmfunk
Yes I think that would be enough for work experience, but make sure you also focus on the quality of the experience- it's not how much you do, it's how much you learn.

Also have you done any volunteering?

The hospital and care home is volunteering. I may also volunteer at a charity shop.
Original post by AqsaMx

It may be as long as you really describe in detail what you've gained from those experiences in your PS. Look in the medicine thread - most people who post have their work experience on their profile and you can gain a feel for who much the average person has, I think you could get into a lower profile with that but not sure about a more competitive one!
Reply 12
It may be as long as you really describe in detail what you've gained from those experiences in your PS. Look in the medicine thread - most people who post have their work experience on their profile and you can gain a feel for who much the average person has, I think you could get into a lower profile with that but not sure about a more competitive one!

Not really true, I got in without any work experience in a hospital or GP.
Original post by AqsaMx
Okay thank you :smile:
With work experience do you think two hospitals, a care home and a pharmacy will be good enough?

I can't really say as I'm unsure of that myself. It's certainly more than I have so if you were up against me (as you might be since I'm applying post-A2 this year xD) you'd probably win. I'm trying to get more experience as well since I only have a week or two although one of them was in a hospital where I got to shadow an FY2 doctor working in A&E and had the opportunity to observe laparoscopic colorectal surgery, which I'll attempt to talk up in my personal statement. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cmfunk
Not really true, I got in without any work experience in a hospital or GP.

You're an anomaly. Better safe than sorry work experience wise, the more the better. Real useful advice there.
Reply 15
Original post by Hydeman
I can't really say as I'm unsure of that myself. It's certainly more than I have so if you were up against me (as you might be since I'm applying post-A2 this year xD) you'd probably win. I'm trying to get more experience as well since I only have a week or two although one of them was in a hospital where I got to shadow an FY2 doctor working in A&E and had the opportunity to observe laparoscopic colorectal surgery, which I'll attempt to talk up in my personal statement. :wink:

That's great! Good luck to you. Hopefully we both will be successful :biggrin:
Reply 16

i'm not really thinking of applying to more than one russell group university anyway so hopefully I'll be fine :smile:
Hi there!

You have a good set of academics, however your GCSE's mean it would be unwise to apply to the GCSE intensive universities (such as QUB and Birmingham). Otherwise, your choices are not limited by your grades. It is now dependent upon your UKCAT now.

Places I recommend you research:
Aberdeen
Dundee
Barts (if you keep on all 4 AS levels to A2)
Plymouth
Keele
UEA
St George's
BMAT universities
Newcastle (if high ukcat)
Durham (If high ukcat)

I am sure there are more to consider too, but here's a start. Research these thoroughly and remember to phone up the admission officers and ask them what they make of your application.

Plus, everywhere is good for medicine. So pick a course that will make you the best Doctor!

P.s. You have a fair chance of getting in. :biggrin:
Original post by .S.K.T.

Places I recommend you research:

Barts (if you keep on all 4 AS levels to A2)

Hey there, why is this so? I'm pretty sure Barts require 3 A-levels and one AS [AAAb to be precise] and if you were to carry on with all 4 they're lenient in the sense that they require one to have AAAC.

Correct me if i'm wrong :smile:
Original post by AbubakarB
Hey there, why is this so? I'm pretty sure Barts require 3 A-levels and one AS [AAAb to be precise] and if you were to carry on with all 4 they're lenient in the sense that they require one to have AAAC.Correct me if i'm wrong

Bart use a system of UCAS tariff points and UKCAT combination to select for interview. As each A-level is given a number of points, the more A-levels you have, the better.
When I applied, I didn't have the best UKCAT, however I compensated this by continuing on all my AS to A2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending