The Student Room Group

No training contract this year, what should I do?

I've applied to 5 firms this year, got rejected by 3 at application stage, then rejected by one at the Watson Glaser test stage. Haven't heard for the last one yet, but I would assume it is a rejection too.

So now I don't have my training contract on my 2nd year, what do I do? Should I continue to apply to LPC on my 3rd year, or apply for training contracts again on my next year and see how that goes first?

The fees are quite hefty, and I don't think I would want to invest that much into the LPC without any sort of job guarantee.
Original post by Jacklicy
I've applied to 5 firms this year, got rejected by 3 at application stage, then rejected by one at the Watson Glaser test stage. Haven't heard for the last one yet, but I would assume it is a rejection too.

So now I don't have my training contract on my 2nd year, what do I do? Should I continue to apply to LPC on my 3rd year, or apply for training contracts again on my next year and see how that goes first?

The fees are quite hefty, and I don't think I would want to invest that much into the LPC without any sort of job guarantee.

i'm sorry to hear about your situation, the field is incredibly tough and there is no shame in rejection. May I just ask a few questions:

1. Degree classification for both the first and second year
2. Any legal work experience on your CV
3. What extra circulars you might have done
4. What you did on the test stage
Reply 2
Original post by Markg125
i'm sorry to hear about your situation, the field is incredibly tough and there is no shame in rejection. May I just ask a few questions:

1. Degree classification for both the first and second year
2. Any legal work experience on your CV
3. What extra circulars you might have done
4. What you did on the test stage

1. 2:1 for both years
2. I marshaled at the High Court of Hong Kong for two summers
3. Piano grade 7, learnt muay thai for a while, competitive gaming experience..etc.
4. I have no idea. They didn't say.

I think what affects my chances the most is my A levels though. I was pretty lazy back then and only got BBBC.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would also add that 5 applications is not very many; have a look around on the TC thread and see how many applications people are making; it is likely to be a lot more than 5. TBH you have done well as you have got a couple of bites - work on getting more experience all round - the TC process can be a bit of a journey - my advice is read the TC thread on here to get a feeling for how other candidates approach it, and their experience - good luck - keep at it, keep going

Original post by Jacklicy

Reply 4
Seconding that 5 applications isn't many. I'd say apply to more next year; I personally wouldn't invest in the LPC without a TC.
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
It is likely to be a mixture of your academics, extra curriculars and work experience.

They will probably want to see more evidence of team work in your ECs. Your pursuits are all quite individualistic.

There will be a question over why the UK and why that type of law when your legal work experience is limited to non-UK and is in a court setting rather than a firm.

Even if a firm looks past your a-level grades initially, they won't on the other points.

If build up your ECs this year or think about how you can show are greater levels of responsibility/commitment/team work in those you have done.

I'd also try and get on some open days/workshops/competitions this autumn to get you in front of the firm's you are looking to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure whether if I should write more on my experience with competitive gaming though. I used to participate in small scale community hosted tournaments and got to 3rd place out of 20-something teams. It is a game where team work and communication are crucial. I didn't wanna expand too much on this because after all this is gaming, and I think it might be looked down upon. But then again I'm applying to firms which focus on TMT & IP law (which is what I'm interested in), and a few of them have clients who are gaming giants such as Square Enix.

I agree with you on the work experience part though, and I will try and get a winter vacation scheme or something. As for EC, do you have any suggestions to activities that may be favorable with the firms? I've been to a few pro bono sessions and thats it.
Reply 6
Original post by happyinthehaze
I would also add that 5 applications is not very many; have a look around on the TC thread and see how many applications people are making; it is likely to be a lot more than 5. TBH you have done well as you have got a couple of bites - work on getting more experience all round - the TC process can be a bit of a journey - my advice is read the TC thread on here to get a feeling for how other candidates approach it, and their experience - good luck - keep at it, keep going

Originally I had around 15 firms on my list. I chose them based on the fact that they had offices in London and Hong Kong. However, a lot of them have 320 UCAS points or higher requirements and I was quite disheartened by that. So in the end I ended up choosing only 5 who were more lenient on their A level requirements. I don't have any sort of "extenuating circumstances" for my bad A levels as after all I was being lazy, probably spent less than 3 weeks on revision for all the subjects.

Thanks for the advice though, I will take a look around that thread and see what I can learn! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending