The Student Room Group

What A LEVEL grades are law firms asking for?

If you don’t achieve good a levels does that mean you will not get a training contract? Does it depend on what type of law you do? If a university is asking for 120 ucas points but if you get ABC/ AAD is this not good for law firms?
Original post by Lillahsgsj
If you don’t achieve good a levels does that mean you will not get a training contract? Does it depend on what type of law you do? If a university is asking for 120 ucas points but if you get ABC/ AAD is this not good for law firms?

Hi there

I think this usually depends on the firms that you apply to? I believe it is possible to get a training contract even if your A levels did not go too well.

For the more prestigious firms, there will be a lot of competition, which means some candidates with stronger A levels could have an advantage. However, if you have had previous work experience, or really strong University grades, etc. your application could still be really strong. However, the less prestigious firms may not weigh A levels as significantly, so there are definitely chances of getting a training contract.

I believe you are looking at a solicitor route? Recently the SRA has introduced the SQE pathway, which does not require two years of training contract experience, rather any qualifying work experience will do. This means students without training contracts can still become a solicitor, which is something you can consider if it interests you.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student rep
AAB for some BUT dont let that deter you theres other firms that have no requirements at all and some firms that go down to BBB. Just aim for the best A levels grades u can get
Reply 3
Original post by intheimageofGOD
AAB for some BUT dont let that deter you theres other firms that have no requirements at all and some firms that go down to BBB. Just aim for the best A levels grades u can get

Thanks for this, I will try
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

I think this usually depends on the firms that you apply to? I believe it is possible to get a training contract even if your A levels did not go too well.

For the more prestigious firms, there will be a lot of competition, which means some candidates with stronger A levels could have an advantage. However, if you have had previous work experience, or really strong University grades, etc. your application could still be really strong. However, the less prestigious firms may not weigh A levels as significantly, so there are definitely chances of getting a training contract.

I believe you are looking at a solicitor route? Recently the SRA has introduced the SQE pathway, which does not require two years of training contract experience, rather any qualifying work experience will do. This means students without training contracts can still become a solicitor, which is something you can consider if it interests you.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student rep

Oh I didnt even know this thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending