The Student Room Group

Don't know what university to apply to

Hey guys, I recently got my AS level results and got ABBC, and I am dropping the subject I got a C in. I am hoping to apply to do economics at university and I have no idea where to apply. At the moment I am applying to Lancaster for sure, and I am going to Leeds and Queen Mary University of London open days in September and October.

Apart from these universities I have no clue where else to apply, I'm looking for universities that are well respected and possibly a Russel Group university, does anyone have any 'recommendations' for universities similar to the ones in terms of reputation I am currently looking at.

Also if I was given AAA as target grades at A2 (Hopefully :smile: ) would it be worth applying to universities with requirements at A*AA or would it be likely I would be rejected due to my not so great AS levels and not having A*AA as my target?

Thanks for reading :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ozzie2
Hey guys, I recently got my AS level results and got ABBC, and I am dropping the subject I got a C in. I am hoping to apply to do economics at university and I have no idea where to apply. At the moment I am applying to Lancaster for sure, and I am going to Leeds and Queen Mary University of London open days in September and October.

Apart from these universities I have no clue where else to apply, I'm looking for universities that are well respected and possibly a Russel Group university, does anyone have any 'recommendations' for universities similar to the ones in terms of reputation I am currently looking at.

Also if I was given AAA as target grades at A2 (Hopefully :smile: ) would it be worth applying to universities with requirements at A*AA or would it be likely I would be rejected due to my not so great AS levels and not having A*AA as my target?

Thanks for reading :smile:

Firstly, congrats on your AS results! I believe that generally the advice with regards to applying to unis is to apply to one which has higher than your predicted (like A*AA) and one or two lower (AAB/ABB) as a target and an insurance. A university may make an offer to someone with lower predicted grades as you may do better! Also, some schools do A2 predictions as AS + 1, so you could be predicted A*AA.

As for university recommendations it sort of depends which sort of course you are looking for - any thoughts? Which subjects did you do at AS?
Reply 2
*which university to apply to
:fuhrer:

You are easily looking at top 20 universities. Now it is just time to choose which one offers the best course for you.
Reply 3
Original post by ThatPerson2
Firstly, congrats on your AS results! I believe that generally the advice with regards to applying to unis is to apply to one which has higher than your predicted (like A*AA) and one or two lower (AAB/ABB) as a target and an insurance. A university may make an offer to someone with lower predicted grades as you may do better! Also, some schools do A2 predictions as AS + 1, so you could be predicted A*AA.

As for university recommendations it sort of depends which sort of course you are looking for - any thoughts? Which subjects did you do at AS?

Thanks, they weren't amazing but they were better than I expected :smile: thanks for the advice about how to look at applying in terms of entry requirements. I don't think my school gives out A* predictions regularly so I think my best bet would be AAA
I'm probably going to apply for economics but I may apply to some for maths and economics, not to sure yet.
At AS I did : economics - A, biology - B, maths - B and chemistry - C
Reply 4
Original post by VannR
*which university to apply to
:fuhrer:

You are easily looking at top 20 universities. Now it is just time to choose which one offers the best course for you.

This is why I didn't pick English for A levels, grammar etc was never my thing. And thanks for that I was kind of worried if my AS levels were good enough, but I think I've been on TSR too much recently :P
I did exactly the same! A-economics B- Maths B- Biology C-Chemistry (and dropped it). I'm applying to Leeds (AAA), Southampton (AAB), Royal Holloway (ABB) and I'm not sure about the other two : Leicester (has terrible student satisfaction - 30%), Stirling, Essex (confused as it says in the first year you do 100% independant study with no lectures?), Bangor or Strathclyde . I was told to put at least on BBB university (which I have only found Stirling do exactly BBB) and be realistic whether I would really get A*AA, so I'm not sure about Exeter?. I really want to get my application off as all my friends have received offers!!
Original post by bethanthompson
I did exactly the same! A-economics B- Maths B- Biology C-Chemistry (and dropped it). I'm applying to Leeds (AAA), Southampton (AAB), Royal Holloway (ABB) and I'm not sure about the other two : Leicester (has terrible student satisfaction - 30%), Stirling, Essex (confused as it says in the first year you do 100% independant study with no lectures?), Bangor or Strathclyde . I was told to put at least on BBB university (which I have only found Stirling do exactly BBB) and be realistic whether I would really get A*AA, so I'm not sure about Exeter?. I really want to get my application off as all my friends have received offers!!

On The Complete University Guide for Economics, Leicester comes out 17th for student satisfaction, above Southampton, Leeds, RH and Stirling.
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
On The Complete University Guide for Economics, Leicester comes out 17th for student satisfaction, above Southampton, Leeds, RH and Stirling.

Oh, on UniStats it comes out pretty bad, I guess it depends where you look?

Is this to study Economics? If so, it's definitely not 100% self study in first year. I have a friend that studies Economics at the University of Essex and she had a relative number of contact hours :smile:
^Shannon
Original post by shannon.rose
Is this to study Economics? If so, it's definitely not 100% self study in first year. I have a friend that studies Economics at the University of Essex and she had a relative number of contact hours :smile:
^Shannon

yes, for Economics, that's weird I wonder why it says that on UniStats then??
Thanks!
yes, for Economics, that's weird I wonder why it says that on UniStats then??
Thanks!

I'm really not sure! But yes, don't worry we do have a normal structure to the first year of the course.
^Shannon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending