The Student Room Group

tips for an US international student

Hi I'm planning to transfer from my community college to a university in the UK this upcoming fall and was wondering if y'all had any tips/ advice you could share with me?
For context I do have some money saved up but am taking out a loan and planning to work my way through school.
It would be super helpful if I could get advice on what job boards to apply to/ accommodations and apartments/ school life or life in general
Sorry if this post is kind of long/ confusing I know I have to get a lot of stuff in order before I can even step foot in the UK lol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wompwomp1
Hi I'm planning to transfer from my community college to a university in the UK this upcoming fall and was wondering if y'all had any tips/ advice you could share with me?
For context I do have some money saved up but am taking out a loan and planning to work my way through school.
It would be super helpful if I could get advice on what job boards to apply to/ accommodations and apartments/ school life or life in general
Sorry if this post is kind of long/ confusing I know I have to get a lot of stuff in order before I can even step foot in the UK lol

Have you applied yet? Have you checked the university fees you need to pay?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot

I've applied to 5 universities through UCAS and I'm in the process of submitting portfolios bc I'm going for a fine art degree! I know there's a visa and healthcare fee for wherever I apply though

"I've applied to 5 universities through UCAS and I'm in the process of submitting portfolios bc I'm going for a fine art degree! I know there's a visa and healthcare fee for wherever I apply though"
Ok. I meant the tuition fees, they are high for non-UK students.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4

"I've applied to 5 universities through UCAS and I'm in the process of submitting portfolios bc I'm going for a fine art degree! I know there's a visa and healthcare fee for wherever I apply though"
Ok. I meant the tuition fees, they are high for non-UK students.

Ohh yeah they range from 12000- 25000 but it's basically the same as studying in state for me and some are cheaper than studying out of state. mb for not understanding you the first time
Ohh yeah they range from 12000- 25000 but it's basically the same as studying in state for me and some are cheaper than studying out of state. mb for not understanding you the first time

Fair enough.

On accommodation, first years usually stay in university halls or similar. Check the policy and procedures for each of your 5.

On jobs, there aren't any "boards". Does your visa allow you to work?
Reply 6

Fair enough.

On accommodation, first years usually stay in university halls or similar. Check the policy and procedures for each of your 5.

On jobs, there aren't any "boards". Does your visa allow you to work?

Will the policies be on their website? I didn't even realize I could check before I got accepted! As for visas I could get an F-1 that would allow me to work up to 20 hours a week
Will the policies be on their website? I didn't even realize I could check before I got accepted! As for visas I could get an F-1 that would allow me to work up to 20 hours a week

Yes, accommodation policies will definitely be on each university's website.

That's good. Do you have any particular skills?
Reply 8

Yes, accommodation policies will definitely be on each university's website.

That's good. Do you have any particular skills?

I've worked in fast food and retail for around 4 years
Reply 9

The "F-1" visa is a US visa for international students who want to study in the USA.

To study in the UK you'll need to apply for a student visa -- see https://www.gov.uk/student-visa

Regarding working, that page says "You may be able to work - how much depends on what you’re studying and whether you’re working in or out of term-time."
Reply 10
Original post by martin7
The "F-1" visa is a US visa for international students who want to study in the USA.

To study in the UK you'll need to apply for a student visa -- see https://www.gov.uk/student-visa

Regarding working, that page says "You may be able to work - how much depends on what you’re studying and whether you’re working in or out of term-time."

Ahh ok got it

Hey @wompwomp1
I am an international student studying in the UK and I'll try my best to answer some of the concerns I see you have.
So as an international student, the government provides you with a Tier 4 visa, which allows a maximum 20 hours of work per week during term time. Off-term, you can choose to work as much as you want.
If you've taken a loan for tuition fees and plan to work to pay daily expenses and accommodation, then just for reference, most part-time pay rates are around £10.50-£15, but of course depending on what city or town you're in it could vary.
The accommodation prices also highly vary based on where you're studying, so my advice would be to look at all prices and how much you can make here as a part time worker and decide on things accordingly.
When you apply for the Tier 4 visa, you do have to pay a medical insurance for the duration of your degree. (for example I paid for 3 years).

As for jobs, there are usually loads of places which offer students part time work in the uni campus, and they are quite flexible with timings as well. Mostly they're bars, cafes, restaurants on campus, but if you also want to add some value to cv while working you can also become a student ambassador for the university.

I hope this gives you some insight of things, but if there is anything else that I can answer for you then please feel free to message again :smile:

Vyomika
LU Student Ambassador

Hi there,

This is exciting news - good luck with your applications! I have a few friends from the US that have done this in Cardiff and it's worked well. I believe that on a student visa, you can work up to 20 hours a week, which should be enough considering you are studying throughout. I recommend trying to get a job at your university or through your student union. They are generally really understanding of student life and pay reasonably well.

In my first year, I lived in the cheapest accommodation because I applied last minute. I was nervous at first but it worked out really well - I just recommend doing your research and trying to get in touch with housemates before you make the move (I did this with my first-year housemate from the US and she says that it helped her feel less stressed).

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try my best to help!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 13

Hello if anyone is following along this thread I wanted to give a little update

I've been accepted into York St John University for Film and Television production! I think I will be marking it as my first choice so if anyone has any advice about the school or city I will gladly take it lol

I've been accepted into York St John University for Film and Television production! I think I will be marking it as my first choice so if anyone has any advice about the school or city I will gladly take it lol

A change from fine art?

@PQ might have a useful opinion on YSJ.
Reply 15

A change from fine art?

I applied to both fine art/ animation and film bc I'm really indecisive and honestly could've gone either way lol
A change from fine art?

I applied to both fine art/ animation and film bc I'm really indecisive and honestly could've gone either way lol
Ok. No need to make a decision yet though.
Reply 17
A change from fine art?

Ok. No need to make a decision yet though.

True, I'll wait until the rest of my decisions respond
True, I'll wait until the rest of my decisions respond
Where else have you applied?

YSJ isn’t particularly well known for their creative courses.

Are you applying for entry into yr 1 or yr 2?
Reply 19
Original post by PQ

Where else have you applied?

YSJ isn’t particularly well known for their creative courses.

Are you applying for entry into yr 1 or yr 2?

Yr 1, tbh one of the reasons I applied to YSJ was bc it was one of the cheaper options, but the program looks solid for a small uni soo idk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending