The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slipandsquirm
That's just justifying racism and discrimination.

White people could say the same about others.

who are "others"?
You need to understand that white privilege is a term that covers a wide number of issues, both macro and micro. What this means is that this term can be applied to an institutional setting, for example institutional racism and how people of colour (POC) are at an automatic disadvantage solely based on their skin colour and whites are not, from the education system to the judicial system. All the way to the tiniest things that prove that white people have an advantage, sometimes its something that doesn't even matter, that we can live without, yet an example that white skin is standard nonetheless.
White people who deny white privilege usually never do their research and their denial comes from their lack of success in the world, because it is not hard to use modern society's greatest educational tool Google to find the answers you are searching for. So, I will break it down for you and give you a few facts, think of this as an incentive to do your research next time you claim something that you could never have experienced to be a fallacy (assuming you are white).
I have a question for you.
Is the fact that Black and Asian people are 20% more likely to go to prison for the SAME crime a white person commits not an example of white privilege? So, if a black person stole some chewing gum from a corner shop that person is 20% more likely to go to prison than a white person who commits the same crime.
Is the fact that Afro-Caribbeans on average get 7 months more likely to go to prison for the SAME crime a white person commits and in cases involving violence that number goes up to 10 months not an example of white privilege?
Is the fact that despite the fact that white people are more likely to deal drugs than black people, black people are disproportionally arrested more for it not an example of white privilege?
Is the that black people aged ten and over are also six times more likely than a white person to be stopped and searched not an example of white privilege?
These are a few examples of white privilege in the institutional sense, and I didn't go into the fact that white people get more university places than black people despite same grades, and that people who are hiring are more likely to hire people with more 'white' sounding names, so John over Jamal.
Let me give you some examples of white privilege in the smaller sense, things like not having to worry about whether or not the complimentary shampoo in the hotel you are staying at is for you hair texture, things like having your skin colour be the standard for all band aids, being able to buy nude coloured clothing and actually have it be nude coloured. These are examples of white privilege in the smaller sense things that black people or PoC have gotten used to and don't necessarily affect us, albeit are sill examples of this white privilege.
Remember also that I haven't even bothered to get into the privileges of being straight as opposed to LGBTQ, because I would be typing for a couple more hours lol.

P.S. let me just add as a reminder to all the straight white male JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST, one more time for the guys at back, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Guills on wheels
who are "others"?

Non-whites, obviously, nitwit.
who are "others"?

You could justify any type of racism or discrimination in a similar way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by guledgwan
You need to understand that white privilege is a term that covers a wide number of issues, both macro and micro. What this means is that this term can be applied to an institutional setting, for example institutional racism and how people of colour (POC) are at an automatic disadvantage solely based on their skin colour and whites are not, from the education system to the judicial system. All the way to the tiniest things that prove that white people have an advantage, sometimes its something that doesn't even matter, that we can live without, yet an example that white skin is standard nonetheless.
White people who deny white privilege usually never do their research and their denial comes from their lack of success in the world, because it is not hard to use modern society's greatest educational tool Google to find the answers you are searching for. So, I will break it down for you and give you a few facts, think of this as an incentive to do your research next time you claim something that you could never have experienced to be a fallacy (assuming you are white).
Is the fact that Black and Asian people are 20% more likely to go to prison for the SAME crime a white person commits not an example of white privilege? So, if a black person stole some chewing gum from a corner shop that person is 20% more likely to go to prison than a white person who commits the same crime.
Is the fact that Afro-Caribbeans on average get 7 months more likely to go to prison for the SAME crime a white person commits and in cases involving violence that number goes up to 10 months not an example of white privilege?
Is the fact that despite the fact that white people are more likely to deal drugs than black people, black people are disproportionally arrested more for it not an example of white privilege?
Is the that black people aged ten and over are also six times more likely than a white person to be stopped and searched not an example of white privilege?
These are a few examples of white privilege in the institutional sense, and I didn't go into the fact that white people get more university places than black people despite same grades, and that people who are hiring are more likely to hire people with more 'white' sounding names, so John over Jamal.
Let me give you some examples of white privilege in the smaller sense, things like not having to worry about whether or not the complimentary shampoo in the hotel you are staying at is for you hair texture, things like having your skin colour be the standard for all band aids, being able to buy nude coloured clothing and actually have it be nude coloured. These are examples of white privilege in the smaller sense things that black people or PoC have gotten used to and don't necessarily affect us, albeit are sill examples of this white privilege.
Remember also that I haven't even bothered to get into the privileges of being straight as opposed to LGBTQ, because I would be typing for a couple more hours lol.

Have you cross referenced those statistics with how white people are treated in countries when they are minorities? Not the tourists, I mean the people who live there as citizens.

My opinion on the smaller description of WP (and it was a good description if the umbrella term WP!) is that whether or not this is anything to be offended by is by cross referencing it too other countries. The question is, is it normal for a country to mainly provide shampoo and nude clouted clothing etc for it's majority population?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually I think a better way to answer this is to ask a question or two.

White guys. Would you if given the chance, change your ethnicity? or would you be happy if you woke up one day and were now black/Pakistani/Indian/Arab etc ? Do you honestly think your life will be the same if you were a different colour? Would your family, friends, gf, neighbour or even the guy at the shop, treat you the same if you were a brown guy or black guy? Would you not feel afraid of being judged or attacked because of how your 'kind' is portrayed in the media? Would you feel afraid of celebrating your culture/heritage because it could be mistaken as you hating English values and not liking this country by white people?

As a mixed race guy, I acknowledge I have it a lot easier than my forefathers. In my dads case, when he came here, his 'kind' would get beaten up by gangs of whites for walking the streets. They would have to constantly be prepared to be attacked by white people or experience discrimination. If hate crimes were not illegal, then we'd be seeing alot more of them IMO.
Original post by Numan786
Actually I think a better way to answer this is to ask a question or two.

White guys. Would you if given the chance, change your ethnicity? or would you be happy if you woke up one day and were now black/Pakistani/Indian/Arab etc ? Do you honestly think your life will be the same if you were a different colour? Would your family, friends, gf, neighbour or even the guy at the shop, treat you the same if you were a brown guy or black guy? Would you not feel afraid of being judged or attacked because of how your 'kind' is portrayed in the media? Would you feel afraid of celebrating your culture/heritage because it could be mistaken as you hating English values and not liking this country by white people?

As a mixed race guy, I acknowledge I have it a lot easier than my forefathers. In my dads case, when he came here, his 'kind' would get beaten up by gangs of whites for walking the streets. They would have to constantly be prepared to be attacked by white people or experience discrimination. If hate crimes were not illegal, then we'd be seeing alot more of them IMO.

Depends if I lived in the country where my colour is the majority - now I know that doesn't sound nice because I know that of course discrimination happens to non whites in a majority white country. But what I'm alluding to is that a majority country, discriminating against a minority is not just global, it's always been that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VotreAltesse
Non-whites, obviously, nitwit.

sorry, I generally call people of colour by a name which validates their existence, rather than them just being the 'others'

You could justify any type of racism or discrimination in a similar way.

You're not being incredibly clear.

So you could justify white-implemented racism by saying that, because people of colour invaded, slaughtered and massacred a white population, it is understood why white people would hold resentment?

yeah, but THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN DID IT.
I find it ironic how people say White Privilege isn't a generalization or a stereotype, while it isnt a negative generalization, it still is. To say that ANY White person has an advantage over ANY other person is just plain silly. Lets not forget huge events where white people were victims. The "Micks" in New York, Irish people who were discriminated against in New York, couldn't get jobs, thrown out of bars etc. The stereotype of the Irish itself.

The white Jews, gays, disabled and gypsy in the 40s in europe were also victims, whereas there were black people in the camps, it was a majority of white people in their, being tortured, starved, gassed, killed, worked to death etc. And before you say it, YES, Hitler was white too, but I feel like that has no place in the discussion. And yes, non whites have also suffered, the trail of tears in the Native American times, the crusades, the KKK, the EDL here in the UK, all of them are problems, but they wont be fixed by saying "White people are privileged. ALL WHITE PEOPLE."
White middle class TSR is upset. oh boo hoo.
Depends if I lived in the country where my colour is the majority - now I know that doesn't sound nice because I know that of course discrimination happens to non whites in a majority white country. But what I'm alluding to is that a majority country, discriminating against a minority is not just global, it's always been that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a non white you say. If you walk into any other country as a minority but a white person, you are almost guaranteed to be treated better.
Original post by ridwan12
Once again it seems you've misunderstood what white privilege is.

And you have failed to acknowledge class as a serious issue.

Original post by ridwan12
"Chavs" will still have privileges over their black counterparts. Also ghetto or thug is also used to belittle black people.

Any comparisons that are made between white and black people for instance, ignore the fact that there is a huge difference among working class and middle class white people. There are no statistics that say whether a person who fulfils the 'chav' stereotype will be more or less likely to be followed by security in a shop. Hence why I originally asked you whether you could say with absolute certainty that class plays no factor, and only racism is at play?

You're effectively trying to ignore privileges based on race and justify by claiming class privileges are more important or pressing issues. Both need to be worked on.

Please show me where I have said one issue is more important than another issue? Nowhere have I stated that racism is not an important issue.

In my previous post, I mentioned that if you really do care about the issues of growing racism and xenophobia, you will release that a lot of it has been fuelled by this concept of 'white privilege' which treats the white demographic as a homogenous demographic and overlooks genuine issues that affect working class white people. But if you wish to ignore the issues of the alienation of the white working class and support the growing attitudes of xenophobia we are seeing in the UK, then you are taking the correct stance.
sorry, I generally call people of colour by a name which validates their existence, rather than them just being the 'others'

You're not being incredibly clear.

So you could justify white-implemented racism by saying that, because people of colour invaded, slaughtered and massacred a white population, it is understood why white people would hold resentment?

yeah, but THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN DID IT.

It wasn't very clear because it was general. But the general statement still stands.

You don't have to reverse the EXACt SAME type of justification for racism.

But you're rebuttal was not much more than 'well they deserved it because of so and so'.

White people could make just as well evidenced argument that highlights why they're not as bad for doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
Privilege of any sort will always exist, because true equality is unaccomplishable. It's a sad fact of life.

What people tend to forget is that in countries where the indigenous population is white, white privilege naturally exists.

Would white people born in countries such as Iraq or South Africa still be privileged because they're white?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Numan786
As a non white you say. If you walk into any other country as a minority but a white person, you are almost guaranteed to be treated better.

Well, take this the right way, someone saying so over the internet doesn't mean much.

If you have statistics I'm happy to change my mind. This thread has loads of examples of white privilege and loads of statistics, yet no one can show it is not reciprocated, even in lesser degree, in non white majority.

Until then it's almost begging the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by guledgwan

P.S. let me just add as a reminder to all the straight white male JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST, one more time for the guys at back, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST.

PREACH!!!,but there are educational policies now a days aiming to promote racial equality for certain ethnic groups.
Reply 156
I do think that these privileges exist, certainly, but there are others too which are often not acknowledged, such as having the opportunity to live in a country where the majority of people do not have to worry about life-threatening contagious disease, starvation, etc
Original post by leinad2012
All of those are things that could not be due to racism:

being followed around shops is something a lot of ethnic minorities complain about but honestly, in my 2 years working in a supermarket I NEVER saw it happen, NEVER.

Again, ignorance is bliss.

If you look suspicious in trackies you will often get searched, that being said it definitely can be racism profiling and I won't defend the police on that.

*ignores the fact that I got stopped while wearing a suit too, which I used to point out that perception of "class" didn't stop me getting searched*

People clutching purses, again something ethnic minorities complain about but something I've never seen.

ROFL

WAIT, so PEOPLE TOUCHING YOUR HAIR is now racist? ****ing lol, all hairdressers must be racist as fuark....

Did I say it was racist? rofl
Clearly you don't understand the politics of exoticism and the "other", maybe this vid can help you:
[video="youtube;qP7XSBH-KN0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP7XSBH-KN0[/video]

Afro being unprofessional, yes it can be, in the same way as if I let my hair grow out long it would be unprofessional, it's not that deep brah.

An afro is my natural hair. I'm not talking about large hair but something like:

or

Again, if a white person in trackies was driving around in an expensive car the same would happen although it does probably happen a disproportionately large amount to black people which is wrong.

Did I say I was wearing trackies? Again you're confused by the concept of white privilege it seems.

ANYWAY, NONE of this is to do with white privilege bar the housing sector one, where there is no evidence of this happening at all, the rest are all social aspects that need to be improved

Wrong.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24372509
Original post by Kiytt
Privilege of any sort will always exist, because true equality is unaccomplishable. It's a sad fact of life.

What people tend to forget is that in countries where the indigenous population is white, white privilege naturally exists.

Would white people born in countries such as Iraq or South Africa still be privileged because they're white?

YES!!!!
That's just justifying racism and discrimination.

White people could say the same about others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That wasn't racism lmao

Anti-white resentment in Vietnam is justified tbh

Latest

Trending

Trending